March 18, 2018, 05:39:04 PM

Author Topic: More Than One Active Full Frame Mirrorless Project at Canon? [CR1]  (Read 60459 times)

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Re: More Than One Active Full Frame Mirrorless Project at Canon? [CR1]
« Reply #270 on: February 19, 2018, 01:48:20 PM »
@dak723 - I still think that EVFs are crap :)

Or to put it another way, if you always just rely on live view/EVF to give you "better", and settle for that, you'll never know what you need to get what you're really create the shot that you're envisioning -- that might involve moving or getting your subject to move, waiting for a different time of day, or adding filters or a reflector or a diffuser or supplementing light, et cetera, et cetera.

So if someone uses LiveView for landscapes (as many do, with the tilty-flippy) the photographer does not know what they need to do to get the shot they are envisioning? Where is the logic in that?

That sounds like the s-called advice to newbies (that has only recently stopped being propogated) that the best way to learn photography is to buy a film camera and take your time, or to start off with a prime lens instead of these new-fangled laziness-inducing zoom lenses.

Not at all.  I said that an EVF (or live view) it's a good learning device.

However, if you ONLY rely on WYSIWYG to take photos, and also rely on a sensor's dynamic range flexibility and the ability to adjust photos in post, then what you end up with is a photographer who:

a) learns to hate their flash because all flashes do is ruin shots

b) never learns to augment light, for example, with filters and reflectors

c) doesn't learn about how light works: what types of angles create what type of mood, different types of light, and different types of reflections

And specifically with landscapes:

d) will never take a long exposure with an ND filter

I mean specifically, landscapes.  If you rely on WYSIWYG, you can point your camera at a beach sunset, and snap a great shot on the first try.  All your friends will say it's a beautiful photo.

If you set your camera on a tripod and take the right exposure with an ND, it's probably going to take a bunch of tries, but your water and the wisps of clouds will look amazing.  All your friends will think the photograph is magical.

Talk portraits for a sec.  With WYSIWYG, yeah, anyone can get a decent shot out outside.  Yes, that's a great shot of your girlfriend.  Now, add a softbox and a kicker light, switch to a wider angle lens and take it from higher angle and ask her to turn just that way and move her hand just this way, and suddenly, you have a very flattering photograph that makes her look positively angelic.

My point isn't that WYSIWYG is bad; it's that if you rely on it and never try to improve beyond that, you'll get stuck at a plateau of being a very mediocre (though perhaps happy) photographer.  To improve one's skills beyond that, in my opinion, you really need to study other photography and techniques, learn, experiment, and explore -- with many of those applications where what you see in the viewfinder as a composition aid rather than WYSIWYG.

I thought most people using LiveView for landscapes were using it because it's more comfortable than having your eye to the viewfinder when the camera is on a tripod, rather than because of any WYSIWYG view on the screen ...?

I don't do a lot of landscapes; it's just not my thing, and I don't enjoy travel, which makes it even less attractive (since it would be of the same spots).  So someone who does, please, share your experiences.

That said, just as with everything else in photography, I do enjoy dabbling and seeing how the pros make their shots.  I find that I use live view a lot, but mostly because my camera is on a tripod with a remote trigger, and it's just more convenient to do so (as you said, sometimes, it's at an awkward angle, too).  The live view is to frame the shot, though, not to tell me what my picture will look like.

All the WYSIWYG of an EVF gives you is more information - which doesn't keep you from doing any of the things you mention.  In fact, more information at the start makes all of the other adjustments or experiments you want to do easier.  You are assuming that someone with an EVF will never go beyond relying on the EVF.  Well, lots of folks don't go beyond relying on their OVF either, so your argument makes no sense whatsoever.  You could substitute OVDF for EVF in everyone of our sentences and it would make no difference.  All the EVF gives you is more information than an OVF - why should that be bad or prevent someone from using filters or lighting?  No reason that I can think of.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #270 on: February 19, 2018, 01:48:20 PM »

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #271 on: February 19, 2018, 07:50:21 PM »
And exactly what are you planning to stick into a Lowepro Dashpont 30?  Would it be the fantasy EF-X magic box with the imaginary 35mm F2 pancake, or are we talking about something else here?   Maybe I'm missing something... .

Not planning on anything re. Canon and FF mirrorless. But my mirrorless dream camera would have exact size and form factor of Sony RX-1R II ... just with a lens mount up front. With a pancake lens [sized like like EF 40/2.8] it would serve as my "ultra-compact mountaineering  kit" ... and fit into a LowePro Dashpoint 30 attached to my leftside backpack strap for imemdiate access at all times without causing a sore shoulder. Currently I am using an EOS M [original) with 22/20 or 18-55 for that purpose. But an ultra-compact FF-sensored  camera would be more "universal" ... especially in low light.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #271 on: February 19, 2018, 07:50:21 PM »