December 17, 2017, 04:31:45 PM

Author Topic: By 2020: Wishlist for EOS bodies  (Read 4995 times)

dolina

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: By 2020: Wishlist for EOS bodies
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 05:14:30 AM »
Hi Dolina.
I think Canon are quite sensible not to rush new technology out on to customers especially as things like the next generation of any camera would likely be in the design phase for some years. We have all seen the trouble that some early adopters have had even with high end Canon gear, I would imagine Canon has no inclination to increase the risk to their good name by building latest generation in to a camera at the last moment!

Cheers, Graham.
Hi Graham,

Perhaps that's why camera sales has been in decline? There is nothing significantly "new" to upgrade towards.

Majority of camera buyers are born 1980-onwards and if it doesnt offer the features one should expect for a 2017 product then why even bother buying?
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 05:14:30 AM »

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 07:54:05 AM »

Hi Graham,

Perhaps that's why camera sales has been in decline? There is nothing significantly "new" to upgrade towards.

Majority of camera buyers are born 1980-onwards and if it doesnt offer the features one should expect for a 2017 product then why even bother buying?

That is a rather negative view.
I think it more likely that most people who want a camera has one, and any camera bought in the last 3-4 years will offer the functions that most people need for most situations. Before about 2012, I think a new model offered heaps more - more MP, better AF, more AF points, flip screens, video....but now every camera has those and it is diminishing returns. Add to that the tightening financial situation and I think the market is getting closer to saturation.

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 09:22:44 AM »
I think it more likely that most people who want a camera has one, and any camera bought in the last 3-4 years will offer the functions that most people need for most situations.

You're underestimating certain people's creativity limited by modern high-end FF cameras. Instagram and FB need only the best LOL. A decent camera more or less suitable for instagram posts needs to have at least 100 stops of DR, one terapixel resolution, 1000 fps, etc... for under $100 of course.

danski0224

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 07:12:16 PM »
Short of significant upgrades, I may not be looking at an EOS body at that time- certainly not a new one.

These new cameras are way too expensive to be buying new (for me) anymore unless there is more than an incremental upgrade. At that time in the future, I may look at a used 1DXII or maybe a used 5DIV.

And if I do buy something new, it will most likely be outside of the Canon ecosystem, and that will kill the budget for anything else for a while.

If Canon decides to release something like a Foveon sensor, then that will get my attention though. So will a 1DsIV.

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 07:15:42 PM »
If Canon decides to release something like a Foveon sensor, then that will get my attention though. So will a 1DsIV.

Does it mean you don't want your camera to go over ISO 800? As far a I know that's a usable iso limit on Foveons.

danski0224

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 10:05:55 PM »

Does it mean you don't want your camera to go over ISO 800? As far a I know that's a usable iso limit on Foveons.

I would be fine with that.

Pippan

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 04:35:17 AM »
This is my wish-list:

a rear LCD histogram/blinkies display that is based on raw data rather than a jpg conversion

a proximity sensor that turns off the LCD when you bring the camera to your eye (my 100D has this but my 80D doesn’t)

an on-dial setting that allows you to manually set an exposure (as M does) but provides an automatic adjustment of shutter speed if you need to quickly vary aperture, or vice versa, while maintaining the same exposure value (perhaps called Ev)

a sensor that arranges pixel sites on a triangular matrix like this:

R B G R B G R B G R B G
 G R B G R B G R B G R
R B G R B G R B G R B G
 G R B G R B G R B G R
R B G R B G R B G R B G
 G R B G R B G R B G R

instead of the current square matrix with twice as many green pixel sites as red and blue. This triangular matrix would allow many more effective pixels to fit into a given area and wouldn't require whatever algorithm is used to halve the green values. I assume though that there is some technical reason it can't be done like this as it seems so obvious.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 04:35:17 AM »

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »

I would be fine with that.

Knowing how popular are the Sigma cameras I doubt Canon will ever follow that path. It would be even more surprising than seeing a medium format Canon :)

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 11:08:30 AM »
This is my wish-list:

a rear LCD histogram/blinkies display that is based on raw data rather than a jpg conversion

a proximity sensor that turns off the LCD when you bring the camera to your eye (my 100D has this but my 80D doesn’t)

an on-dial setting that allows you to manually set an exposure (as M does) but provides an automatic adjustment of shutter speed if you need to quickly vary aperture, or vice versa, while maintaining the same exposure value (perhaps called Ev)

R B G R B G R B G R B G
 G R B G R B G R B G R
R B G R B G R B G R B G
 G R B G R B G R B G R
R B G R B G R B G R B G
 G R B G R B G R B G R

instead of the current square matrix with twice as many green pixel sites as red and blue. This triangular matrix would allow many more effective pixels to fit into a given area and wouldn't require whatever algorithm is used to halve the green values. I assume though that there is some technical reason it can't be done like this as it seems so obvious.

It smells like X-Trans...

danski0224

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 08:39:48 PM »
Knowing how popular are the Sigma cameras I doubt Canon will ever follow that path. It would be even more surprising than seeing a medium format Canon :)

Canon could do it as a niche product. If I'm not mistaken, Canon has patents for a sensor that is a Foveon type design.

Maybe some sort of collaboration with Sigma :)

Even if the guts were put into a 5D series body, I'd get one unless the pricing was similar to the Sigma SD1.

I won't hold my breath, though.

Pippan

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 09:02:37 AM »

R B G R B G R B G R B G
 G R B G R B G R B G R
R B G R B G R B G R B G
 G R B G R B G R B G R
R B G R B G R B G R B G
 G R B G R B G R B G R

It smells like X-Trans...

Is that how X-Trans sensors are patterned?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 09:02:37 AM »