November 24, 2017, 01:46:29 PM

Author Topic: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Sample Images  (Read 7895 times)

gmon750

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Sample Images
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »
Will add my 2 cents here........

First, while I use a SLR for paying jobs I rent these days. For all personal shooting I've given up hauling big cameras, lenses, flashes etc. For two years now it's been a Canon G7X and now Mark II plus my iPhone 6s Plus.

The G1X III camera having an APS-C sensor in a G5X body is pretty amazing in my book. If you've held a G5X you know how small it is which means you might actually take it with you. Anything larger I just can't bear to haul and an iPhone (or Samsung) with even one App, Snapseed will make photos you'll be thrilled with.

As to the gripes about no 4K and a slow limited range lens......I don't own a 4K TV and that spec requires more data storage, etc. It's meaningless at least to me. The lens f-stops don't mean anything either as software can de-focus backgrounds, etc.

The weather proofing IS a big deal to me. Being an underwater photographer and dealer for Fantasea compact and  Ikelite underwater housings means any camera to be used around water having seals is a huge plus.

Finally, the price.....While not wanting to be an early adopter paying top $$$$$ I weigh the benefit of getting a new easily transportable and usable tool versus the new images I'll be able to capture with it over years I keep equipment.

Believe I'm not awash in $$$$ but since going to rehab for GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome :)  many years ago having less has worked for me.....I'd rather maximize the capability of one tool and simply enjoy photography.

I'll bet many will buy this camera for the small size and larger sensor. Hopefully the 3X zoom lens and features delivers great photos and full reviews will tell.

To each his own!

Well said.. I'm in a similar position.  After the shock of its asking price and cooling down a bit, I am eyeing this camera to replace my old Powershot S100 that I use for casual underwater photography.  My 5DM3 and huge aquatica housing is becoming more burdensome to travel with as airlines are becoming more restrictive with electronics.  My S100 and Ikelite case were so easy to pack along in my backpack.

The gripes of people here and in other threads have become such a bore, the funniest being the cosmetic look at the camera itself, like I really care how it looks.

I think it's going to be a very popular camera now.  I think Canon may be on to something here as well and that others will follow with a big sensor in a point-click camera. 

I realize that the big piece of silicon for the sensor is what makes the camera so expensive.  Can't get around economics I suppose and I think once people accept that, it'll be easier to understand the pricing of this camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 05:10:09 PM »
I'm a FF user who bought an M3 and all the lenses to have a smaller travel kit, but I also have a G1X. After a year or so I ended up selling the M because if I used it with the adapter and better lenses I began to think 'why didn't I just take the 5D', and if I had just a standard zoom I'd be thinking 'why don't I just take the G1X'.

OK, it would be nice if this aps-c G1XIII had an f/2-4 lens but no doubt Canon are saving this for the G1XIV. But the reality is that this camera will have huge scope in general photography without sacrificing any quality, especially if the lens is stellar, and I'm hoping that given the asking price it will be.

This is bringing us into a time where a landscape photographer could go out with a 'point and shoot' fixed lens pocket camera and produce images through stitching three vertical frames together that would be pretty well indistinguishable from someone with a £10,000 DMF kit. Scary !

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 05:20:17 PM »

This is bringing us into a time where a landscape photographer could go out with a 'point and shoot' fixed lens pocket camera and produce images through stitching three vertical frames together that would be pretty well indistinguishable from someone with a £10,000 DMF kit. Scary !

There was the article on Luminous Landscape a few years ago where Michael Reichmann took the same image using a Haselblad and the G9 (I think it was) and in most cases at 'sensible' print sizes his friends were unable to tell the difference with any reliability without really close examination.
So I fully imagine this new model with its larger sensor to carry on that tradition.

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 06:44:19 PM »
1. no bright lens
2. no 4k                          =   NO SALE !
3. useless battery
4. huge price

Waiting for the LX 200 now

do we care?

Don't make him upset, let's pretend we do.

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 06:47:41 PM »
I feel the camera got great potential, but IMO they could get much better samples while shooting outdoors, especially this time of year. Glad no cat pics though.

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »
Only some? Holly Batman... These pics were taken with a $1300 camera. right!

Some of those are really terrible photographs =X

And if it's the built-in flash, I guess it's a pretty good way to sell flashes that go on the shoe :D

Normalnorm

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 08:27:30 PM »
There are three salient features here for me.

APS-C sensor -Big enough to deliver excellent IQ at higher ISO as compared to a 1 inch sensor.

Short zoom- 24-70 is all I am looking for in this camera because it has.....

A LEAF SHUTTER!.

I use flash fill ALL the time on paying jobs.
On images I know are web-use I use my Panasonic FZ-1000. It is a sterling performer with a very sharp lens, IS, 15fps (not with flash), nearly silent with mechanical shutter, perfectly so with e-shutter.
But it allows brilliant fill in bright sun with a manual flash set to 1/4 power and throwing fill as much as 25 feet.

I just returned from a shoot for a magazine cover (lifestyle) where the subjects were facing away from bright sun. I had to shoot at f11 at 1/200 with ISO at 100. Flash shooting in a large umbrella to cover 4 people needs to be very powerful.( was using two 600 ws units as opposed to my usual very compact 360 ws units) With the G1 X mk3 I could have used f7.1 at 1/500 thus using far less powerful flash and still maintaining decent DOF.

I have looked at other LS cameras but they all fall short. The Fuji X-100 is a fixed 23mm lens, great camera but little flexibility in framing.
The Sony Rx-1 has the same issue of a fixed (but superb) FL.
The Leica Vario X has a superb lens but slower than this one, no EVF and slow AF.

So for all the carping, this one really has potential for me. The price is very fair as it really has no competition in the LS space except smaller sensor cameras.

Sure you can any number cameras that shoot 4K but as I shoot no video it is a non-issue for me.
Everything it does have makes me happy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 08:27:30 PM »

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 09:17:57 PM »
your example shooting at 1/200s: you do not need to use HSS mode when shooting at 1/200s unless you are a Canon 6D user. Thus you do NOT loose any flash power. If F11 was too narrow for you, then you may have consider using decent ND2 (1 stop) filter to slow down the aperture by a 1 stop and shoot at F8 instead. Yes, this will result in a somewhat higher flash output, but you loose very substantial 2.5+ stops of flash power as soon as you crossed  out of the X-Sync territory. Hence ND2 is a lesser of two evils. slight colour cast is very easy to compensate for in post.

I just returned from a shoot for a magazine cover (lifestyle) where the subjects were facing away from bright sun. I had to shoot at f11 at 1/200 with ISO at 100. Flash shooting in a large umbrella to cover 4 people needs to be very powerful. ( was using two 600 ws units as opposed to my usual very compact 360 ws units) With the G1 X mk3 I could have used f7.1 at 1/500 thus using far less powerful flash and still maintaining decent DOF.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 10:47:03 PM »
your example shooting at 1/200s: you do not need to use HSS mode when shooting at 1/200s unless you are a Canon 6D user. Thus you do NOT loose any flash power. If F11 was too narrow for you, then you may have consider using decent ND2 (1 stop) filter to slow down the aperture by a 1 stop and shoot at F8 instead. Yes, this will result in a somewhat higher flash output, but you loose very substantial 2.5+ stops of flash power as soon as you crossed  out of the X-Sync territory. Hence ND2 is a lesser of two evils. slight colour cast is very easy to compensate for in post.

I just returned from a shoot for a magazine cover (lifestyle) where the subjects were facing away from bright sun. I had to shoot at f11 at 1/200 with ISO at 100. Flash shooting in a large umbrella to cover 4 people needs to be very powerful. ( was using two 600 ws units as opposed to my usual very compact 360 ws units) With the G1 X mk3 I could have used f7.1 at 1/500 thus using far less powerful flash and still maintaining decent DOF.

He didn't say he went into HSS so your comparison of ND2 1 stop loss vs HSS 2.5 stop loss is irrelevant. At 1/200 he didn't go into HSS so he lost none of his 1200Ws flash power. The point is the ambient required f11 at 1/200 at 100 iso, he couldn't give the ambient less because to do so would either push the camera into HSS or affect the flash exposure. The flash exposure required 1200Ws at f11 at 100 iso. The only way to beat the equations and lower the flash power while maintaining ambient exposure level is to raise the shutter speed and have a faster sync speed.

Mind you flash duration times are pretty long at higher powers so once you go over 1/350 sec the shutter starts to limit your flash exposure power anyway. People who thing a leaf shutter or global shutter will give them full power flash at high shutter speeds really are missing the concept of flash duration.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

CanonGuy

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 12:40:56 AM »
my iphone 6 plus probably takes better/similar pics compared to these in such low light.

well done hitting on your foot canon :D
2X 5D3, 6D, x100s, Pentax 645n, Sigma 15 f2.8, 24 Art, 35 Art, 50 Art, 85 Art, 100L, 135L, 200L f2.8, 16-35 f4L, 24-35 Art, 24-70 f2.8L ii, 70-200 f2.8L ii, 100-400L i, 45 FA, 75 FA.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 06:01:52 AM »
Given a choice, I'd at least prefer trolls with some intelligence.   Alas. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 06:22:31 AM »
PBD,

OP said that he had to shoot at 1/200 and F11  and he HAD to use a much more powerful strobes to compensate for power loss:
...  was using two 600 ws units as opposed to my usual very compact 360 ws units..
please note OP logic: had to shoot with higher power strobes than usual.

Now, I said exactly what you said: I pointed out that he did not go into HSS and therefore he lost NO power. hence no need using more powerful 600 Ws strobes instead of usual 360 Ws Op used.

In the second part of my comment I pointed out that if OP would rather shoot at F8 rather than F11 aperture he used to avoid HSS territory, there is a simple solution to open up aperture by 1 stop and loose relatively small amount of flash power.

OP had to use F11 at 1/200s, ISO 100 instead of F7.3 at 1/500s, ISO - these are identical exposures.

repeat:

no loss of flash power at 1/200s
if F8 was required instead of F11, then ND2 application will allow to open aperture up to F8 at 1/200s but strobes will have to be cranked up by 1 stop

.. Mind you flash duration times are pretty long at higher powers so once you go over 1/350 sec the shutter starts to limit your flash exposure power anyway..

Correct, GODOX AD360 II flash duration at full power is 1/300s. GODOX AD600B flash duration  at full power is even longer: 1/220s.

He didn't say he went into HSS so your comparison of ND2 1 stop loss vs HSS 2.5 stop loss is irrelevant. At 1/200 he didn't go into HSS so he lost none of his 1200Ws flash power. The point is the ambient required f11 at 1/200 at 100 iso, he couldn't give the ambient less because to do so would either push the camera into HSS or affect the flash exposure. The flash exposure required 1200Ws at f11 at 100 iso. The only way to beat the equations and lower the flash power while maintaining ambient exposure level is to raise the shutter speed and have a faster sync speed.

Mind you flash duration times are pretty long at higher powers so once you go over 1/350 sec the shutter starts to limit your flash exposure power anyway. People who thing a leaf shutter or global shutter will give them full power flash at high shutter speeds really are missing the concept of flash duration.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:47:02 AM by SecureGSM »

Normalnorm

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 04:53:14 PM »
PBD,

OP said that he had to shoot at 1/200 and F11  and he HAD to use a much more powerful strobes to compensate for power loss:
...  was using two 600 ws units as opposed to my usual very compact 360 ws units..
please note OP logic: had to shoot with higher power strobes than usual.

Now, I said exactly what you said: I pointed out that he did not go into HSS and therefore he lost NO power. hence no need using more powerful 600 Ws strobes instead of usual 360 Ws Op used.

In the second part of my comment I pointed out that if OP would rather shoot at F8 rather than F11 aperture he used to avoid HSS territory, there is a simple solution to open up aperture by 1 stop and loose relatively small amount of flash power.

OP had to use F11 at 1/200s, ISO 100 instead of F7.3 at 1/500s, ISO - these are identical exposures.

repeat:

no loss of flash power at 1/200s
if F8 was required instead of F11, then ND2 application will allow to open aperture up to F8 at 1/200s but strobes will have to be cranked up by 1 stop

.. Mind you flash duration times are pretty long at higher powers so once you go over 1/350 sec the shutter starts to limit your flash exposure power anyway..

Correct, GODOX AD360 II flash duration at full power is 1/300s. GODOX AD600B flash duration  at full power is even longer: 1/220s.

The entire point of a leaf shutter is to avoid having to use small apertures and concomitant large flashes. DOF has nothing to do with it.
An ND filter just pushes my SS lower with still the same power demand from the flash.

With my Panasonic I can shoot at f5 or 5.6 and use a manual speedlight and throw light 20+ feet in bright sun.
FP with HSS is a power sapping strategy also.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 04:53:14 PM »

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 08:31:42 PM »
Please see my comments in blue below.

The entire point of a leaf shutter is to avoid having to use small apertures and concomitant large flashes. DOF has nothing to do with it.
A.M.: As PBD pointed out, flash duration at close to full power is quite long. (1/300s to 1/200s) see the numbers above. therefore, if your shutter is faster than flash recycle time, then your flash would not have enough time to deliver full discharge while the shutter still open.

secondly: your comment regarding avoiding usage of small apertures. If that has nothing to do with DOF, what it has to do with then? is that about DLA (Diffraction Limited Aperture)? if so, then in your example stopping down from F7.3 to F11 won't change much in terms of sharpness in practical terms.
If that is an issue though, I demonstrated how, based on your example, open up aperture to F8 instead of F11 and still avoid HSS.

An ND filter just pushes my SS lower with still the same power demand from the flash.
A.M.: in my example you keep the SS the same (1/200s), open up aperture by one stop and _increase_ flash output by 1 stop.
the point is: to avoid using HSS as that will cost you 2.5+ stop flash power rather than just 1 stop. The lesser of the two evils.
Please note: shooting at 1/500s is likely exceeds your flash recycle time. please see my comment above.

With my Panasonic I can shoot at f5 or 5.6 and use a manual speedlight and throw light 20+ feet in bright sun.
FP with HSS is a power sapping strategy also.

A.M.: you seems to overlooking that in my example I explained how to avoid HSS for the same reason: being a power sapping strategy, 2.5+ stops of flash power loss.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:55:18 PM by SecureGSM »

merefield

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 06:24:46 AM »
Will add my 2 cents here........

First, while I use a SLR for paying jobs I rent these days. For all personal shooting I've given up hauling big cameras, lenses, flashes etc. For two years now it's been a Canon G7X and now Mark II plus my iPhone 6s Plus.

The G1X III camera having an APS-C sensor in a G5X body is pretty amazing in my book.
... SNIP ...
I'll bet many will buy this camera for the small size and larger sensor. Hopefully the 3X zoom lens and features delivers great photos and full reviews will tell.

To each his own!

What is the point of a larger sensor if you cripple it with a slow lens?!

Will it get you good low-light performance? - NO

Will it give you a creative feature unavailable on cheaper compacts, ie Bokeh? NO!

If you can't get this camera to offer decent Bokeh and/or low light performance its pointless spending more.

You say IQ, what do you mean by that?  A camera less than half this price can give you decent IQ but what you need from a more expensive camera is more tools to make shots you couldn't on the smaller camera.  If you cripple it so you limit this flexibility so its the same as the smaller camera there is absolutely no point in buying it and wasting your money.

What's the point of decent IQ if all your pictures are cluttered with background objects you cannot isolate your subject from?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:44:40 AM by merefield »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 06:24:46 AM »