November 20, 2017, 06:23:21 PM

Author Topic: Adobe Announces Cloud-Based Lightroom CC  (Read 13031 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
Re: Adobe Announces Cloud-Based Lightroom CC
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »
I can see a big advantage for professional users who have different people assigned to different functions, and wide internet bandwidth.  Sharing the database has always been a big issue, and this implies that there is a solution.   For them, additional storage purchases are no issue, but they would likely have multiple backup and archive solutions. 

For those like me, cloud based solutions might not work.  I'm in the country away from cable or any high speed internet, and have a wireless connection to a tower 7 miles away (No 4G either).  I do get 5-15 Mb/sec downloads when people are not watching streaming video at night.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »

Chaitanya

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2017, 12:14:25 PM »
Now in an increasingly mobile-centric world, and with major improvements in smartphone cameras, Lightroom is transforming digital photography again.

It seems that Adobe doesn't really understand their audience.  An app for applying some effects to cellphone snapshots is one thing.  Processing 8 GB of data after a wedding on a workstation is something else.  I can't imagine waiting for uploads/downloads every time you change a parameter.

Or ... this is just a bs justification and it's all about the money, money, money
+1, seems like Adobe is shoving ransomware down the peoples throats on purpose screwing up the core user group of Lightroom.

Orangutan

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2017, 12:17:15 PM »
Now in an increasingly mobile-centric world, and with major improvements in smartphone cameras, Lightroom is transforming digital photography again.

It seems that Adobe doesn't really understand their audience.

The mobile stuff is probably to appeal to a newer audience.  "Classic" is for heavy lifting.

Or ... this is just a bs justification and it's all about the money, money, money

Of course it is, I don't pretend anything else.  That's how corporations work, I just hoped that there were enough of us "perpetual" holdouts that Adobe would relent.  It's OK, I'll keep going with LR6, then move to something else.  I have no need to be shackled to their cloud.

magarity

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »
It seems like "CC" really stands for Credit Card.

GammyKnee

• EOS M5
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 12:22:16 PM »
Well I'll be sticking with LR 6 for a while, and then when I want to move on I guess it'll be Capture One, or more likely Affinity. The latter still has a way to go before it's a viable option for me, but it's catching up fast.
Canon 5D2/4, 70-200 f4L IS, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L, EF 100 f2, EF 35 f2 IS, Tamron 45 f1.8, Yongnuo strobes & triggers
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmayrshire/

miketcool

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 12:24:04 PM »
If Adobe wants to stay competitive they will need everyone to move their high quality photos online. Such a vast personal library allows them to develop cutting edge technology for searching, cataloguing, and manipulating photos. The techniques we employed 10 years ago to touch up a photo will be available by simple finger taps and sliders.

The industry is about to take a tremendous leap forward in a way that will put many people out of business if they do not change.

Orangutan

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
If Adobe wants to stay competitive they will need everyone to move their high quality photos online. Such a vast personal library allows them to develop cutting edge technology for searching, cataloguing, and manipulating photos. The techniques we employed 10 years ago to touch up a photo will be available by simple finger taps and sliders.

The industry is about to take a tremendous leap forward in a way that will put many people out of business if they do not change.

Will they pay their customers for use of their photos as part of their data set?  No?  Didn't think so. 

No thank you, I'll keep my photos under my own control.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 12:33:08 PM »
I can see a big advantage for professional users who have different people assigned to different functions, and wide internet bandwidth.  Sharing the database has always been a big issue, and this implies that there is a solution.   For them, additional storage purchases are no issue, but they would likely have multiple backup and archive solutions.

But it also means everything you apply to the photos is strictly stored on Adobe side, and no other non Adobe application can access it. It's a huge lock-in.

Mt Spokane Photography

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »
I use and edit my photos in multiple locations, its a headache since the catalog cannot be shared on my NAS.  Its a hassle to keep the latest version available in multiple places, so I am definitely interested in the cloud version where I can directly upload images to the cloud as soon as they are captured.  Just how this would work today is a question for me, I'm not using wi-fi because it eats up batteries, but I do have a eye-fi card that might be able to upload to the cloud indirectly, I'm sure that solutions will be available.  I have my NAS units disconnected from any internet connections due to security concerns, I'm not smart enough to make and keep them secure.

Mt Spokane Photography

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2017, 12:52:35 PM »
I'm starting to look into the Cloud version, it has a lot of missing features, or ones that must be done differently, its definitely a subset of the full Lightroom CC Classic and in many ways less powerful.  There is a table here that compares a long list of features that matter to photographers.

I am downloading the free quick start booklets to see what type of a workflow is recommended.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features

JRPhotos

• Canon Guy
  • EOS Rebel T7i
  • 5D4, 24-105LII, 70-300L, 35 1.4II, 85L 1.2II, 100L
    • J&R Ogden Photography
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »

Gee, ok. thanks for that un-helpful Adobe PR there.

I wonder how many others will be looking at Capture One more seriously now? I know that I am.

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2017, 01:03:58 PM »
I am definitely interested in the cloud version where I can directly upload images to the cloud as soon as they are captured.  Just how this would work today is a question for me, I'm not using wi-fi because it eats up batteries, but I do have a eye-fi card that might be able to upload to the cloud indirectly

The question is is LR CC is the only way to upload and access the photos, or not. It doesn't look a kind of DropBox/OneDrive/GDrive generic storage, it looks more like Google Photos. Probably Adobe will make something available for direct uploads, but I guess it will imply a proprietary app or API.

There are also other interesting questions, for example if Adobe is running its own infrastructure, or is leaning on another one (i.e. AWS) - which leads to another - in which country and thereby jurisdiction the photos are stored, and thereby who could access it - and let's  see what the US Supreme Court will rule about the DoJ asking MS to lend emails stored on its Irish servers. For professional photographers, especially photojournalists but not only, it's not something of secondary importance.

I would have liked to see Adobe spilt LR in "Lightroom Cloud", and "Lightroom Professional", the latter with higher-end features. But it looks Adobe feels its competitors are not Corel or PhaseOne or Affinity - but Google, Facebook and Amazon.

This could mean a big shift in products designs.

stevelee

• EOS M5
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »
I'm not considered the next generation of photographers? Really?

I'm certainly not considered the next generation of anything. I'm from a previous generation of photographers.

I can't even see the point in my using Lightroom. The whole database kind of approach of LR or even Apple Photos doesn't fit how my mind works. I know Scott Kelby considers us Bridge + Photoshop users to be old fogeys.

My subscription is going up something like $3/month, so that is hardly motivation enough to drop it. I could probably do OK with the $9/month subscription, but I still use InDesign and Illustrator on occasion and would miss them. And when I get frustrated with trying to deal with color in FCP X, I will break out Premiere, even though I'm not good at using it otherwise.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2017, 01:27:18 PM »
I use and edit my photos in multiple locations, its a headache since the catalog cannot be shared on my NAS.  Its a hassle to keep the latest version available in multiple places, so I am definitely interested in the cloud version where I can directly upload images to the cloud as soon as they are captured.  Just how this would work today is a question for me, I'm not using wi-fi because it eats up batteries, but I do have a eye-fi card that might be able to upload to the cloud indirectly, I'm sure that solutions will be available.  I have my NAS units disconnected from any internet connections due to security concerns, I'm not smart enough to make and keep them secure.

How much storage do you need?

One option might be to tell lightroom to save changes in a sidecar (XMP) file instead of the catalogue, and then use a cloud service like OneDrive. 

Then you can also have the best of both worlds; the CC version of lightroom, from that list... looks totally messed up, uselessly gimped.  It's missing some really important features, like Split Toning... Compare View... Secondary Screen... max zoom  2:1... NO RENAME PHOTOS....

I mean really?  Why can't you rename photos?!

Also, I hate collections/albums.  I use folders, because I have hundreds and hundreds of folders meticulously organized in hierarchy, like, wildlife/birds/waterfowl/bufflehead/2017-10-18.  I would hate to stuff buffleheads in a collection, because there is no hierarchical way to organize albums.  Plus, I have some photos of subjects I rarely take grouped in broader groups (like bugs/misc or unidentified) as opposed to subjects that I take a ton of and have it sub-sorted, like heron or eagles.

photomachine

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2017, 02:30:31 PM »
Ok so I could pay 10 bucks extra each month to have 1TB of storage in the cloud...

or i could use those 120 bucks a year to buy a 4TB hard drive to store my photos locally, not restricted through download speeds or connectivity issues
well, ok now I'm worried about hard drive failure, maybe 2x2TB in a Raid 1 would be better

let's go to year 2
still paying an extra 10 bucks a month for the same 1TB of storage on Adobe's servers, not an extra TB still the same 1TB I probably filled up a long time ago...

meanwhile i could buy the same storage I bought last year and not have to wait for my pics to down/upload

I really don't get this plan.

Those 20GB that come with my already existing plan on the other hand are nice. I could see some usage for that, maybe. When I am on location and need to back up a card or to quickly transfer it to someone in the studio so they can start retouching. Then deleting the photos afterwards.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2017, 02:30:31 PM »