November 23, 2017, 05:30:23 PM

Author Topic: Canon Patent: New Rear Screen Concept for DSLRs  (Read 7137 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Patent: New Rear Screen Concept for DSLRs
« on: October 19, 2017, 09:15:54 AM »
A patent from Canon Japan showing new rear screen designs has appeared, and it looks very interesting. I think a lot of us have always assumed eventually the entire back of a camera would be an LCD/OLED. Beyond just the size of the screen, the patent also covers a new way pivot mecanism for the LCD, you can see the images below.

What’s also interesting is the mode dial appearing from behind the screen when you move it.

A lot of us have called on Canon to put vari-angle LCD’s on professional cameras such as the EOS-1D X series, EOS 5D series and the EOS 7D series, and we’re still waiting. This would definitely be a big leap in a new direction for rear camera screens, but I suspect too big of a leap to see first in a flagship professional camera such as the EOS-1D X Mark III, but it could be introduced in a lower end camera such as the EOS 7D Mark III or a new videoc focused DSLR.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:07:56 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Patent: New Rear Screen Concept for DSLRs
« on: October 19, 2017, 09:15:54 AM »

entoman

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: Canon Patent: New Rear Screen Concept for DSLRs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 09:48:11 AM »
A really interesting concept.

With the monitor in the up position, you have full access to the rear thumbwheel etc, and you have all the shooting info displayed on the screen, which you can look down at, when the camera is hanging from your neck. This makes the little LCD panel on the top plate obsolete, making space for an improved button / dial layout.

And of course you can switch it into live view or replay mode, as well as use it to dspaly shooting info.

The screen then folds back down and reverses to protect it from damage when the camera is packed.

Brilliant. Innovation, at last.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:51:19 AM by entoman »
5DS, 5DMkiv, 7DMKii & 5DMkiii bodies
17-40L F4, 100L F2.8 IS macro, 300L F4, 100-400mm ii, ext tubes, 430EX and 270EX flashes, Imac, Photoshop, Lightroom,

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 10:12:46 AM »
Would you have to move the screen to access the rear dial?
1dx mkII, 35 L II, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

unfocused

• Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 10:15:43 AM »
I kind of hate this.

You have to flip this screen up and out in order to have access to the controls on the back of the camera?

So, for everyone who complains about the supposed fragility of a flip screen, imagine having to have the screen always flipped out in order to have access to the controls on the back of the camera.

If cameras aren't big enough as they are, imagine now having this massive flip screen hanging out calling even more attention to you and your camera.

What about touch screen functionality -- the ergonomics of having to hold the camera and use a touch screen that is flapping about would be terrible, so you would have to flip this thing back in every time you wanted to use the touch screen.

It might be great for video, allowing a larger screen. But can't see this as a good solution for stills.

I'm hoping I'm missing something here, but this looks really clunky and impractical to me. If I have to choose between a fully functioning touch screen and a flip screen, I'll choose the touch screen every time.

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 10:20:13 AM »
+1. with on camera flash attached, how one supposed to flip the screen up and not get the flash in the way?

ethanz

• EOS 80D
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 10:25:12 AM »
In the last picture I can just imagine it slapping the guy in the face every time he moves.
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

Ryananthony

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »
As a non video shooter (so if I'm wrong let me know), this to me looks best suited for video dedicated dslr rig which many assume would never happen. It looks to me like a dslr with a dedicated Atomos Ninja built in, minus the external recording function, assuming.  Which would be neat, if the rear screen was big enough to house a 1TB ssd or something and removable.  It makes little sense to me as a photography dedicated rig personally.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 10:43:13 AM »
The image showing the screen oriented towards the subject of the photo is interesting.

This either means:

a) the screen is being used as a big white light to illuminate.  Which would be kind of cheap and nasty for a DSLR but, who knows...

or

b) the screen is being used to show the subject what the photographer is seeing.  But wait, what then is the photographer seeing through the viewfinder?   Therefore this has to be either a mirrorless or a hybrid ovf/evf device to use this technology.

ps. Ergonomics make or kill a camera. the system would have to be able to be comfortably used without moving the screen or it's dead.
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M5/M3, Sony A6000, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 10:48:41 AM »
The image showing the screen oriented towards the subject of the photo is interesting.

This either means:

a) the screen is being used as a big white light to illuminate.  Which would be kind of cheap and nasty for a DSLR but, who knows...

or

b) the screen is being used to show the subject what the photographer is seeing.  But wait, what then is the photographer seeing through the viewfinder?   Therefore this has to be either a mirrorless or a hybrid ovf/evf device to use this technology.

Or much more likely:

c) SELFIE MODE!
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

ethanz

• EOS 80D
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »

This either means:

or

Or much more likely:

c) SELFIE MODE!

lol. I love taking a selfie with my 1dx, so easy to hold and aim.
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

Viggo

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 11:08:04 AM »
I kind of hate this.

You have to flip this screen up and out in order to have access to the controls on the back of the camera?

So, for everyone who complains about the supposed fragility of a flip screen, imagine having to have the screen always flipped out in order to have access to the controls on the back of the camera.

If cameras aren't big enough as they are, imagine now having this massive flip screen hanging out calling even more attention to you and your camera.

What about touch screen functionality -- the ergonomics of having to hold the camera and use a touch screen that is flapping about would be terrible, so you would have to flip this thing back in every time you wanted to use the touch screen.

It might be great for video, allowing a larger screen. But can't see this as a good solution for stills.

I'm hoping I'm missing something here, but this looks really clunky and impractical to me. If I have to choose between a fully functioning touch screen and a flip screen, I'll choose the touch screen every time.

+1
1dx mkII, 35 L II, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

traveller

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
Presumably, the camera is just to provide a sense of scale compared to existing products... surely Canon would not be daft enough to actually put key controls behind a flip out screen?

To be honest, I'd rather they just get on with fitting any of their existing designs of tilting screens across the whole range (perhaps with the exception of the 1D series).

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 11:29:57 AM »
I think this is the worst photography related idea I’ve ever seen.

Worse than selling century old lens designs, worse than Instagram filters, worse than a camera with no screen at all. I’m trying to think of equivalently bad and failed ideas, but I can’t think of anything that would be as bad as if Canon were to try to make this happen.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 11:29:57 AM »

Halfrack

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 11:57:20 AM »
So for me, I'd put the dial & joystick on the back side of the screen - that way you can be casual photog with giant touch screen or sports tog with mini/no screen & hard controls.

As to turning the screen with a flash on, you only need to extend to 90deg, then rotate & close.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

dolina

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 01:14:29 PM »
Kinda sorta looks like the Samsung Galaxy NX.

That's a 4.77-inch multitouch screen.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:17:02 PM by dolina »
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 01:14:29 PM »