December 11, 2017, 12:53:10 AM

Author Topic: Canon Patent: New Rear Screen Concept for DSLRs  (Read 8380 times)

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
Re: Canon Patent: New Rear Screen Concept for DSLRs
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2017, 05:54:24 AM »
Another advantage of touch screen controls is that they can be done with a much lighter touch than regular controls, which is really critical for things like macro work (although generally I do most of my macro shooting tethered so that doesn't really matter.)
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2017, 05:54:24 AM »

H. Jones

• EOS M5
  • Photojournalist
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2017, 10:27:36 AM »
I can definitely see this as a video centric camera, like a 1DC Mark II on steroids. It seems similar to some of the cinema camera designs Canon has made.

Bodies: 1DX mark II, 5d Mark III
Lenses: 16-35mm F/4L IS |  24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II  | 50mm 1.8 STM

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2017, 05:25:30 PM »
Kinda sorta looks like the Samsung Galaxy NX.

That's a 4.77-inch multitouch screen.

Wow.  I would never buy a camera that looked like that.

I can definitely see this as a video centric camera, like a 1DC Mark II on steroids. It seems similar to some of the cinema camera designs Canon has made.

I guess that's what leads me to my sentiment... I've never been interested in videos other than occasionally capturing a moment on my cell phone.  Anything that I'd spend money on, I want optimized for stills.  Of course, I recognize other people might have totally different priorities.

aceflibble

• EOS M5
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2017, 08:27:58 AM »
Obligatory reminder that patents =/= products even in development, let alone products which you'll find on store shelves. Nine times out of ten a patent is just an idea or theory which a company wants to claim before anybody else beats them to a similar concept.

In this instance, this patent covers Canon for using larger screens, hiding controls under a cover, and a new way of manoeuvring a screen or cover; these could all be used together, alone, in any combination, or never used at all.

It's Canon 'bookmarking' some ideas and very unlikely anything more. Though implementing larger touch screens is inevitable—and I do mean inevitable—that's regardless of this particular patent.

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »
That's not a flip out screen. That's a weather vane. ;)
5D Mark III, Canon A-1, Voigtlander Vito, Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC, 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Helios 58 f/2 (x3), Canon FD 50 f/1.8, 600EX-RT (x7), Streaklight 360ws. Jumping ship to SoNikon any day now.

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2017, 10:13:45 AM »
We tend to forget here that we are not the target market. We're the sheep who will buy Canon bodies regardless because we already have our lens investment.

Canon need to get a new generation of photographers wanting to use interchangeable lens cameras. And for those who have grown up using their cellphone (or iPad!) to take photos the tiny screen on the back of most cameras is a serious problem.

Add to this the perceived "complexity" of 'serious' cameras. Dials with cryptic codes (Av/Tv, etc) - remember we live in an age where people don't want to read manuals.

So, like it or not, we're going to go towards, at least at the lower end, we have cameras with large touch screens, with the touch screen assisting with things like defining what areas you want in focus or not (rather than manually setting apertures). Our favourite buttons will go because they're confusing and put people off buying a camera.

Improvements in algorithms and the ability to constantly monitor the image data (with a mirrorless or liveview device) will lead to far more intelligent automatic shooting than we've seen before. Better control of levels, better iso management, using some HDR-type techniques with fast multiple frames to get greater dynamic range or greater depth of field automatically, digital effects such as automatic background removal, etc, etc.

And, we'll inevitably see cameras that are not just wifi but cellular enabled too. Want to post your photo immediately to Instagram directly from your camera? No problem.

So, if you're worried about whether your scroll wheel is going to disappear or not I'm afraid you're really not going to like what's coming next... :)

Jolyon

(on the positive side I don't think this change will filter down to non-rebel type cameras for many many years)
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

RobbieHat

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 01:53:28 PM »
As someone who is both left-handed and left eye dominant I'm having a tough time envisioning how I'd adapt to anything like this.  At least as shown it seems to be even more right-hand oriented than today's dSLR.  On the other hand, it seems obvious from smartphone sales that people like screens as large as can be held with one hand.  Combine that with the engineering knowledge that buttons and dials are more expensive to design, make weather-proof and manufacturer compared to touchscreens and firmware and it becomes obvious that at some point the buttons and dials are likely to be minimized if not eliminated.

I too am left handed and left eye dominate but can see lots of use for this innovation.  I shoot a 5DSR today next to a landscape/nightscape photographer that shoots the new Nikon D850.  He blows me away in ability to quickly focus, check focus, review images for sharpness, adjust settings and check his FOV with his flip screen with touch enabled controls.  It took him about 1000 shots and a few sessions of use before he totally had it mastered. 

I wear glasses and am infuriated by the inability to adjust between the view finder, the screen and my vision (with glasses or without).  This could solve a lot of problems in that regard.  In addition, as someone that is not afraid of technology and innovation and embraces by iPhone 7+ with the larger screen and better resolution I would wholeheartedly embrace this innovation. 

Many of the dial/switch dedicated functions could be re-positioned on the camera (to where the existing LCD is today or elsewhere) and there usefulness would be retained.  We would all have to get used to new ergonomics but we are doing that all the time today and muscle memory is an amazing thing and can be retrained.   

I am hoping for a whole lot of innovation in the 7dIII and 5DSR II or I will seriously look to change systems.  I won't be going to Sony but would seriously consider a move to Nikon for my style of shooting.  I know I would take a major hit on glass but with all the innovation Sigma is driving and Nikon continuing to refresh many of their older lenses due to high resolution the gap is closing and Canon needs to get their act together on the core sensor capabilities and body ergonomics/innovation or they will lose a lot of shooters like me.   
5D Mark III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 01:53:28 PM »

Lenscracker

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Old Prospector from 1944
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
     I have been with Canon since the original F1N.  I have begun to defect a little at a time over the last few years because I am tired of waiting for them to catch up with consumer desires and current technology.  It is my opinion that when and if this new screen technology is ever implemented it will have absolutely nothing to do with what the consumer wants.   Their line of lenses keep us tied to their line of cameras and they know it.  Advances in their camera technology seems to embrace the idea that we will take whatever they decide to give us and we will like it.

FramerMCB

• EOS M5
  • Canon 40D & 7D
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 12:01:15 PM »
We tend to forget here that we are not the target market. We're the sheep who will buy Canon bodies regardless because we already have our lens investment.

Canon need to get a new generation of photographers wanting to use interchangeable lens cameras. And for those who have grown up using their cellphone (or iPad!) to take photos the tiny screen on the back of most cameras is a serious problem.

Add to this the perceived "complexity" of 'serious' cameras. Dials with cryptic codes (Av/Tv, etc) - remember we live in an age where people don't want to read manuals.

So, like it or not, we're going to go towards, at least at the lower end, we have cameras with large touch screens, with the touch screen assisting with things like defining what areas you want in focus or not (rather than manually setting apertures). Our favourite buttons will go because they're confusing and put people off buying a camera.

Improvements in algorithms and the ability to constantly monitor the image data (with a mirrorless or liveview device) will lead to far more intelligent automatic shooting than we've seen before. Better control of levels, better iso management, using some HDR-type techniques with fast multiple frames to get greater dynamic range or greater depth of field automatically, digital effects such as automatic background removal, etc, etc.

And, we'll inevitably see cameras that are not just wifi but cellular enabled too. Want to post your photo immediately to Instagram directly from your camera? No problem.

So, if you're worried about whether your scroll wheel is going to disappear or not I'm afraid you're really not going to like what's coming next... :)

Jolyon

(on the positive side I don't think this change will filter down to non-rebel type cameras for many many years)

I can't wait for the day when we can connect wirelessly directly with our cameras - brain to CPU. So we can just think about what settings we want, what we want to focus on, etc, etc. Oh no, I guess I will still have to touch the thing to aim it...darn it!
The worst picture ever is the one not taken: so shoot, shoot, shoot! Know your equipment first however to avoid as much as possible, bad photos. ;-)

Shooting with a Canon 40D & 7D, w/70-200mm f2.8L IS I, EF 24-85mm f4.0-5.6USM, Vivitar Series I 400mm f5.6 Olympus mount w/Fotodiox converter.

FramerMCB

• EOS M5
  • Canon 40D & 7D
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2017, 12:10:47 PM »

Jolyon

I would like an "HDR" mode that one can enable when the camera is rigid (i.e. tripod mounted or secured in some other way so as to not be moving) that would then take multiple exposures in 1/4 or 1/3-stop increments and you could punch in the exact number of frames wanted - so for a scene with a large DR, like Sunset or Sunrise, you could punch in say 36 frames and the camera would then just whir away with it. Then in POST Processing use an HDR plug-in to combine whichever frames you want to achieve the precise affect...

I know great things can be achieved right now with HDR but this would open up more creativity for the end result(s). Although technically one can do this already in the field in camera it's just a lot more tedious. And most cameras that I'm aware of do not allow 1/4-stop increments - only 1/3.
The worst picture ever is the one not taken: so shoot, shoot, shoot! Know your equipment first however to avoid as much as possible, bad photos. ;-)

Shooting with a Canon 40D & 7D, w/70-200mm f2.8L IS I, EF 24-85mm f4.0-5.6USM, Vivitar Series I 400mm f5.6 Olympus mount w/Fotodiox converter.

FramerMCB

• EOS M5
  • Canon 40D & 7D
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »
     I have been with Canon since the original F1N.  I have begun to defect a little at a time over the last few years because I am tired of waiting for them to catch up with consumer desires and current technology.  It is my opinion that when and if this new screen technology is ever implemented it will have absolutely nothing to do with what the consumer wants.   Their line of lenses keep us tied to their line of cameras and they know it.  Advances in their camera technology seems to embrace the idea that we will take whatever they decide to give us and we will like it.

It's not solely their lenses/lens-lineup. It's their ergonomics, how they render colors, printing systems, Service, etc. etc.

However, it would be nice if they would come out with a FF and APS-C (or H) that has in-body stabilisation, more DR, etc. etc. Pixel shift tech...

The bottom line is this though, for any of us, can we take the pictures we need/want to take for our business/clientele and/or hobbies? What system will best enable us to capture our vision - in the most effective, efficient, easiest/enjoyable, and repeatable fashion? And a similar question - that we each must answer when deciding on equipment/gear - is what is the bulk of my shooting entail? What are those needs in particular? Because the outlier situations, one can rent equipment for...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »