November 25, 2017, 01:15:35 AM

Author Topic: Macphun Showcases Their Digital Asset Manager in Response to Adobe  (Read 5160 times)

Tom W

• EOS Rebel SL2
Re: Macphun Showcases Their Digital Asset Manager in Response to Adobe
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 12:35:24 PM »
As a FORMER user of the stand-alone version of Lightroom, I can safely say that with this new forced version of LR, I am switching back to Canon's software. It's not quite as powerful, but it's free and Canon doesn't try to hoodwink its users into some sort of perpetual subscription model.

I just made the mistake of clicking "update" and it wiped out my old LR and tried to get me to either use the trial version for 7 days or buy the new one. Adobe can KMA.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 12:35:24 PM »

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 01:24:19 PM »
The idea behind LR was exactly to avoid the need of using multiple applications for each task, the design was around an end-to-end, workflow-based solution from importing photos, cataloguing them, processing and output (web or prints).

And yet, Lr doesn't avoid that need for multiple apps for many users. Hence, the myriad plug-ins available for it. Sure, those plug-ins are called from within the Lr interface, but (at least) some of them require that a second copy of the image be created for the plug-in to work on, rather than writing those changes into the Lr database.

There's no way to avoid that.  The main reason to have a plug in is to do a modification not supported in Lightroom.  If it's not already in lightroom, you can't add to the XMP data (whether it's in LR or the sidecar), and have it be something that LR could interpret.  And if it is, chances are, you'd just do it directly from LR.

For example, the history may contain something like this:

<crs:ToneCurve>
    <rdf:Seq>
     <rdf:li>0, 0</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>32, 22</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>64, 56</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>128, 128</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>192, 196</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>255, 255</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Seq>
   </crs:ToneCurve>

If you use another application, it would be really hard for that application to understand all of lightroom's XML (especially since it's a moving target -- lightroom adds new features every year or so), and lightroom would not understand other software's XML, for the same reason.

JonAustin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »
The idea behind LR was exactly to avoid the need of using multiple applications for each task, the design was around an end-to-end, workflow-based solution from importing photos, cataloguing them, processing and output (web or prints).

And yet, Lr doesn't avoid that need for multiple apps for many users. Hence, the myriad plug-ins available for it. Sure, those plug-ins are called from within the Lr interface, but (at least) some of them require that a second copy of the image be created for the plug-in to work on, rather than writing those changes into the Lr database.

There's no way to avoid that.  The main reason to have a plug in is to do a modification not supported in Lightroom.  If it's not already in lightroom, you can't add to the XMP data (whether it's in LR or the sidecar), and have it be something that LR could interpret.  And if it is, chances are, you'd just do it directly from LR.

For example, the history may contain something like this:

<crs:ToneCurve>
    <rdf:Seq>
     <rdf:li>0, 0</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>32, 22</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>64, 56</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>128, 128</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>192, 196</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>255, 255</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Seq>
   </crs:ToneCurve>

If you use another application, it would be really hard for that application to understand all of lightroom's XML (especially since it's a moving target -- lightroom adds new features every year or so), and lightroom would not understand other software's XML, for the same reason.

No argument with the what or why of your post. I was just challenging the notion of Lightroom as a standalone, end-to-end solution.
Canon cameras, lenses, speedlites, scanners & printers

Chaitanya

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »
Got the email in morning and since Adobe went into full retard mode, I am seriously considering either Macphun or On1 RAW as my next RAW editor.

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »

IMHO LR plug-ins are far less successful than PS ones. Lots of presets, but few workflow plug-ins (export/publish plug-ins are another story). Unless you have specific needs, LR tools are quite powerful end-to-end, being specifically designed for photo editing.

JonAustin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »
IMHO LR plug-ins are far less successful than PS ones. Lots of presets, but few workflow plug-ins (export/publish plug-ins are another story). Unless you have specific needs, LR tools are quite powerful end-to-end, being specifically designed for photo editing.

Certainly possible that your LR skills far exceed mine, but I find that I can get the look I want far more quickly with a plug-in or external tool like ON1 Effects, PerfectlyClear or Luminar than tweaking the myriad adjustment sliders in LR.
Canon cameras, lenses, speedlites, scanners & printers

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »
Well, I am extremely happy with the new Lightroom CC Classic, it is significantly faster at displaying thumbnails in the library than before. It's worth the upgrade just for this in my mind.

Haven't really tried the Cloud version because my library is too big.

Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M5/M3, Sony A6000, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »
Well, I am extremely happy with the new Lightroom CC Classic, it is significantly faster at displaying thumbnails in the library than before. It's worth the upgrade just for this in my mind.

+1

Though the range masking features are pretty awesome too.

nvettese

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »
I'll switch (unless Adobe brings back the perpetual license). If they can do it along with the ability to import my Lightroom catalog (or at least XMP sidecars) with edits intact, I'll be doing the happy dance! :P

For me Adobe has already done the damage.  I have LR6, but will never purchase another Adobe product, as their business model is not consumer friendly.  Most who defend it, only do because they can continue to pay on it.  I want to hear from them the day they don't have the income, and can no longer use the software they've been paying into.  I will look at any company who takes the greatness of Adobe and builds a business around it.  Looking at Capture One, and now MacPhun.

GammyKnee

• EOS M5
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 09:03:18 AM »
Adobe's switch to subscription-only is definitely going to result in more choice software-wise, and the competitors are working quickly to make the most of the opportunity they've been given.

Right now Alien Skin Exposure 3 is at the top of my list; I've been trialling it for the last few days, re-editing recent shots that I'd first processed in LR. The results look better to me and I got there faster than I did in LR6, with no need to dump a tiff and do a partial edit in PS. Looks like that will be my new go-to editor.

Canon 5D2/4, 70-200 f4L IS, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L, EF 100 f2, EF 35 f2 IS, Tamron 45 f1.8, Yongnuo strobes & triggers
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmayrshire/

jalbfb

• EOS M5
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 09:17:05 AM »
I switched from Apple's Aperture to Lr several years ago and have the subscription to Lr & PS.  I am not really interested in Adobe's new LrCC model since I really do not see the need for me to do processing on multiple devices except on any iPhone photos I might take.  So I'll stick with the Classic update.  I am waiting about another week before I do the update to wait and see if there are any issues.  I use Luminar as a plugin with Lr.  when Macphun comes out with Luminar 2018 and its DAM, I'll give it a try.  I am used to Lr's workflow and post-processing and will wait and see how the new Classic works and what future updates Adobe does to it other than new camera RAW updates.  I can see somewhere down the road that I might abandon Lr and switch to Luminar IF there DAM works as well as I am comfortable and used to with Lr.
Happy owner of the 5D Mark IV, 24-105 f/4L and other L & third party lenses

Famateur

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 12:08:04 PM »
Adobe's switch to subscription-only is definitely going to result in more choice software-wise, and the competitors are working quickly to make the most of the opportunity they've been given.

Right now Alien Skin Exposure 3 is at the top of my list; I've been trialling it for the last few days, re-editing recent shots that I'd first processed in LR. The results look better to me and I got there faster than I did in LR6, with no need to dump a tiff and do a partial edit in PS. Looks like that will be my new go-to editor.

Thanks for the mention of Alien Skin Exposure X3. I hadn't heard of it, but perusing their site and watching their video is highly encouraging! Gonna install the trial to kick the tires myself...

Have you tried their Blow Up program? I'm curious to know if the results are as impressive as they claim...

KeithBreazeal

• EOS 5DS R
    • Keith Breazeal Photography
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 12:42:12 PM »
I'll switch (unless Adobe brings back the perpetual license). If they can do it along with the ability to import my Lightroom catalog (or at least XMP sidecars) with edits intact, I'll be doing the happy dance! :P

For me Adobe has already done the damage.  I have LR6, but will never purchase another Adobe product, as their business model is not consumer friendly.  Most who defend it, only do because they can continue to pay on it.  I want to hear from them the day they don't have the income, and can no longer use the software they've been paying into.  I will look at any company who takes the greatness of Adobe and builds a business around it.  Looking at Capture One, and now MacPhun.

Same here.  Adobe pissed me off when LR6 came out and I was running XP.  They dropped support for XP and I had to spend about $1,500 to put new guts in my PC and install Win 7. 
I have always bought standalone software, but now those days are over with LR.  Not getting any new tools as a standalone user when CC subscribers get them is really a pisser. 
Seriously looking at McPhun as my next great adventure. 
Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 5DS, 5D Mark III, Canon M5, 7D, SL-1, Canon 300L 2.8, 100-400L IS, 70-200L IS, 24-105L, 10-22mm, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 12:42:12 PM »