December 11, 2017, 12:53:52 AM

Author Topic: Lightroom "Classic" New Features Real World Experience  (Read 5560 times)

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
Re: Lightroom "Classic" New Features Real World Experience
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »
I'm not sure what Mt Spokane is referring to about loading to the cloud. He is not referring to the classic version. The other new Lightroom cc is cloud based so this is designed to load the photos into the cloud. This is probably the way of the future as fibre broadband takes off. City users get the faster speeds years in advance of more rural locations.

No, I don't think so, not for volume photography.  I have 180Mbps fiber (both ways), and sure, single 30MB files are individually fast to transfer one way or the other.  But, for example, 30GB of data, or 60GB of data, which can be a half-day's shooting.  As fast as fiber is, it isn't within the realm of SSD or RAID SSD storage on or 10gigabit LAN.  The speed of going from 1 image to the next in Develop matters, and it won't be comparable.

Aslo, people with large libraries go through 10+ TB a year (or even double that).  I'm not sure we'll be seeing 100TB+ cloud storage any time soon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »
don't understand that most PC / Laptops sold struggle with Lightroom and Photoshop. Lightroom in particular is a bloated piece of software.
In summary for me it really like only a minor upgrade with obscure changes that most users won't use.

My very old and ordinary Lenovo X100 sails along with Lightroom and Photoshop very nicely.  I bought it in 2009.  You would have to hunt very hard today to find a laptop that can't run circles around it. 

meywd

• EOS 5DS R
    • About Me
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 10:04:46 AM »
I'm not sure what Mt Spokane is referring to about loading to the cloud. He is not referring to the classic version. The other new Lightroom cc is cloud based so this is designed to load the photos into the cloud. This is probably the way of the future as fibre broadband takes off. City users get the faster speeds years in advance of more rural locations.

No, I don't think so, not for volume photography.  I have 180Mbps fiber (both ways), and sure, single 30MB files are individually fast to transfer one way or the other.  But, for example, 30GB of data, or 60GB of data, which can be a half-day's shooting.  As fast as fiber is, it isn't within the realm of SSD or RAID SSD storage on or 10gigabit LAN.  The speed of going from 1 image to the next in Develop matters, and it won't be comparable.

Aslo, people with large libraries go through 10+ TB a year (or even double that).  I'm not sure we'll be seeing 100TB+ cloud storage any time soon.

don't understand that most PC / Laptops sold struggle with Lightroom and Photoshop. Lightroom in particular is a bloated piece of software.
In summary for me it really like only a minor upgrade with obscure changes that most users won't use.

My very old and ordinary Lenovo X100 sails along with Lightroom and Photoshop very nicely.  I bought it in 2009.  You would have to hunt very hard today to find a laptop that can't run circles around it. 

I don't have any inside info on Lightroom but I don't think the reason for it being slow is that its bloated, Sensors get higher and higher megapixel count, which needs more RAM, faster drives (SSDs or even SSDs in raid) and faster graphics cards.

My Home desktop which is from 2009 is doing good, I have an SSD for the main drive but I can't put the photos there, since its only 250GB and I have reached more than 1TB even after deleting many of un-needed photos, the 12GB ram is great for large Panoramas but still I face issues because I always like to keep my most used apps open and since I am a developer I always have few GBs reserved for the needed tools.

Now I am not saying that LR is not to blame, but having high res previews ready can cause serious load on the HDD and Memory,  Having a fast enough PC is part of being a photographer these days.
Current Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 135mm f/2.0 | EF 24-105 F/4.0 | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | 430EX II | Canon EF 2x II

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 08:32:27 PM »
I found what seems to be a bug or inconsistency in camera profile generation via X-Rite Passport version 1.1.1 Lightroom module. Lightroom CC Classic.

I used Export with preset --> Color Checker Passport option to generate a camera profile. gave the new profile a name, OK. Profile was successfully generated and saved in:

C:\Users\My_User_Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

I restarted Lightroom but new profile was not showing up in Develop --> Camera Calibration --> Profile.

I repeat the procedure again and again to no avail.

I found the problem and 2 solutions:

The problem:

Profile was created and file was copied to the right folder but the file name contains NO file extension. i.e.

5D IV 24 70 F2.8 II ISO 100 Day Light instead of 5D IV 24 70 F2.8 II ISO 100 Day Light.dcp
notice how .dcp part is missing in the plugin created camera profile file name.

That is why Lightroom did not detect the new camera profile upon restart.

The solution:

1. go to the folder where new camera profile was saved and modify the file name: add .dcp at the end of the file

or

2. instead of using Export with preset --> Color Checker Passport option, use the following procedure:

File --> Export -->Export to: X-Rite Presets

Give your new profile a name in DNG Profile Name box, click export, restart your Lightroom CC Classic.

I am sure that this issue will be fixed sooner or later but for now... this gets the job done.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:08:14 AM by SecureGSM »

martti

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 08:45:36 AM »
I am totally confused with all the new CC applications.
The LR CC started loading my library to the cloud which is a hopeless task with the connection I have on this island. The Bridge CC has fascinating new features but could not find some pictures on my HD. Photoshop CC seems to be working as well as the CS6 but I do not really understand what I am winning.

The modern world is divided sharply according to internet bandwidth.
Eyes in my head see the world spinning round.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 12:15:48 PM »
I confused the issue with my uploading comments.

LR CC uploads images to the cloud.

With LR Classic CC, you determine which images to upload by placing them in a collection that you set to sync with LR CC cloud.  I think that all Lightroom cloud images sync with LR Classic CC when you do this.

Thats how I use it, so my tablet and phone images sync to my pc via the cloud.  I have not found a way to get images from my cameras to automatically sync to LR CC Cloud, maybe Jeffrey Friedl will write a app?  I can, of course sync to the Canon cloud.

docsmith

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 08:11:13 AM »
Is anyone else finding LR "Classic" buggy?  It is freezing up on me, screen is going green or other multi-colors.  At times it seems faster, but if it is already exporting, it does not want to do anything else, something I was able to do with the previous LR version.

I could be a fan if it starts operating smoother, but right now, I feel like I am working with software from the 1990's....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 08:11:13 AM »

Frodo

• EOS M5
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »
I'm a confused user since LR 1.0. I "refreshed" my 7 year old Windows 10 machine and went to reintall LR. This was not helped by a "technical problem" at Adobe.com that did not have a record of my registrations. Anyway it prompted me to "update" to Lightroom Class CC, which I understand is the subscription model. With a lot of searching I finally found a place where I could download LR 6.13. So all is sweet.
By the way, I find that my PC (old i7 quad core 2.8 cpu and 6GB RAM) is okay, even with 5Ds files. But my expectations are probably lower than most of you. I'd like a faster PC but my priorities were camera, display and printer....
If gear matters: 5DsR, 6D, M3, Samyang 14/2.8, EF 24-105/4, EF 35/2.0IS, EF 50/2.5 macro, EF 85/1.8, EF 200/2.8II, EF 400/5.6, EF-M 11-22/4-5.6, EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6, EF-M 55-200/4.5-6.3, Ext 1.4x, Lifesize conv, Ext tube EF25, 430EXII, 270EX, Yongnuo 603C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »