December 16, 2017, 12:10:19 PM

Author Topic: Too Many Lenses  (Read 9269 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Re: Too Many Lenses
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »
Classic cases pf PhD = Piled Higher and Deeper.
So jealous... you can't handle it. Let me guess Liberal arts? Or none because your comment reflects a certain degree or lack of education...

Such an inferiority complex?  Alan probably has more scientific awards, medals and academic honors than you have brain cells.  And this, from someone who has counted brain cells for a living.  Certainly, he has a better sense of humor than you...

How many of these organizations can count you among their elected membership?  For Alan, the answer is several. 

But yeah, I'm sure you were just a fantastic and committed scientist.  I guess that's why you aren't doing science any more.   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »
LF Schneider XLs indeed! also Rodenstock, or Sinar.
Then there are the co-opted lenses such as a EL Nikkor 80 mm for UV reflectance. And the Coastaloptics version, that I am contemplating. I do clean out the closet with stuff I don't use anymore. Almost all my C/Y Zeisses are gone (except the 16 mm F-Distagon), and replaced with EOS mount versions. But if it works, and I use it once in a blue moon, I keep it.
Don't know how many lenses I've rotated through; guess around 50 or so. I currently have about 13 SLR lenses (all primes), and about 7 LF (one is the Nikkor-T360/500/720 triple convertible) lenses, plus three stereomicroscope lenses, and five compound microscope lenses for my personal scopes.

So, your sickness runs deep.

In my house, the first rule is... we don't ever talk about the lenses or the cameras.

The second rule is WE DON'T EVER TALK ABOUT THE LENSES OR THE CAMERAS !!!!  ;)

When too many Canon lenses are talked about here I think... how cute.
We're a DANKs household, so two science PhDs, no issues with "toys". And I make figures for her papers "nice". Get a lot of milage out of that :-)
Re Canon lenses, they are the minority in my line-up (TSE17/24, MPE65, 180M, 300/2.8 IS). The good ones are Zeiss (F16 C/Y, 15, 21, 25, 35, 100 Classic, 55 Otus) and the EL Nikkor 80.

Ahh, same here... PhD in Biochemistry and wife has PhD in CS. I no longer work in the industry (worked in a startup and fortunately it worked) but wife is in cyber-security.

And Canon is by no means a majority in my house, it is what I use for business (portrait/wedding). Leica is actually a close second to all MF lenses. Analog is starting to rule the house these days as I have the ability to take my time now (love the darkroom). Whats old is becoming new again !

So jealous... you can't handle it. Let me guess Liberal arts? Or none because your comment reflects a certain degree or lack of education...

I was just making a joke about your lenses being so numerous that they are being piled high and deep. You shouldn't leap to conclusions about my lack of education or envy of your academic credentials. As it happens, I do have a science PhD myself plus 5x DSc honoris causa.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 03:16:18 PM by AlanF »
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

takesome1

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2017, 03:37:59 PM »
LF Schneider XLs indeed! also Rodenstock, or Sinar.
Then there are the co-opted lenses such as a EL Nikkor 80 mm for UV reflectance. And the Coastaloptics version, that I am contemplating. I do clean out the closet with stuff I don't use anymore. Almost all my C/Y Zeisses are gone (except the 16 mm F-Distagon), and replaced with EOS mount versions. But if it works, and I use it once in a blue moon, I keep it.
Don't know how many lenses I've rotated through; guess around 50 or so. I currently have about 13 SLR lenses (all primes), and about 7 LF (one is the Nikkor-T360/500/720 triple convertible) lenses, plus three stereomicroscope lenses, and five compound microscope lenses for my personal scopes.

So, your sickness runs deep.

In my house, the first rule is... we don't ever talk about the lenses or the cameras.

The second rule is WE DON'T EVER TALK ABOUT THE LENSES OR THE CAMERAS !!!!  ;)

When too many Canon lenses are talked about here I think... how cute.
We're a DANKs household, so two science PhDs, no issues with "toys". And I make figures for her papers "nice". Get a lot of milage out of that :-)
Re Canon lenses, they are the minority in my line-up (TSE17/24, MPE65, 180M, 300/2.8 IS). The good ones are Zeiss (F16 C/Y, 15, 21, 25, 35, 100 Classic, 55 Otus) and the EL Nikkor 80.

Ahh, same here... PhD in Biochemistry and wife has PhD in CS. I no longer work in the industry (worked in a startup and fortunately it worked) but wife is in cyber-security.

And Canon is by no means a majority in my house, it is what I use for business (portrait/wedding). Leica is actually a close second to all MF lenses. Analog is starting to rule the house these days as I have the ability to take my time now (love the darkroom). Whats old is becoming new again !

I was just making a joke about your lenses being so numerous that they are being piled high and deep. You shouldn't leap to conclusions about my lack of education or envy of your academic credentials. As it happens, I do have a science PhD myself plus 5x DSc honoris causa.

I found the exchange amusing.
The joke however was a bit subtle.

AlanF

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2017, 03:44:26 PM »
I do have a real problem - I don't use emojis and some people don't know when I am joking. But, I hate those f*ing yellow things.
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

Pookie

• EOS 5DS R
  • You talk, I show... who do you believe?
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »
I do have a real problem - I don't use emojis and some people don't know when I am joking. But, I hate those f*ing yellow things.
Right so your pile is the highest and deepest...

::)
I'm limping by with my current equipment... once I get that new lens with IS and blue goo... then I'll finally be able to go out and take my first decent picture...

takesome1

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2017, 03:57:07 PM »

This educational program might help.  :)

http://sites.sonypictures.com/emojimovie/teaser/

NancyP

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2017, 04:27:57 PM »
Too. Many. WHAT? Eh? 
I also confess to Too. Many. Tripods. I am a Tripo-holic.
And aren't the main users of the "Piled higher and Deeper" jokes the grad student ABDs worrying about cranky committee members, or cynical mid-career academics who resent the corporatization of higher education?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2017, 04:27:57 PM »

AlanF

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2017, 04:30:47 PM »

I would need an antiemetic.

Pookie

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »

I would need an antiemetic.

That last one was just for you...

;) ;D :o  :-* :-* :-*

You're lucky CR forum limits the emoji's to just a handful...
I'm limping by with my current equipment... once I get that new lens with IS and blue goo... then I'll finally be able to go out and take my first decent picture...

Pookie

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »

Such an inferiority complex?  Alan probably has more scientific awards, medals and academic honors than you have brain cells.  And this, from someone who has counted brain cells for a living.  Certainly, he has a better sense of humor than you...

How many of these organizations can count you among their elected membership?  For Alan, the answer is several. 

But yeah, I'm sure you were just a fantastic and committed scientist.  I guess that's why you aren't doing science any more.   ::)

Careful there Brian... your compliance department may find you on social networks too much during company time and question your commitment to science;D I was committed to science enough that I sold two of my companies while you were in grad school, bought my house cash and now do anything I want.

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2017, 08:34:05 PM »
Yup, I’m definitely the uneducated one around...    :-[ some folks here have more degrees than a thermometer

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2017, 11:21:49 PM »
Who's Brian?  :o :P ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

ethanz

• EOS 80D
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2017, 11:42:31 PM »
Yup, I’m definitely the uneducated one around...    :-[ some folks here have more degrees than a thermometer

Don't worry about it. I think it goes to their heads and causes too much egotism.
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2017, 11:42:31 PM »

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2017, 11:51:47 PM »

But they have more big whites than big diplomas ;D

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2017, 12:11:52 AM »
Oh, lenses, diplomas, houses... how bout by my p...s is MUCH BIGGER than all yours combined?  :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2017, 12:11:52 AM »