December 12, 2017, 02:56:52 PM

Author Topic: New Unreleased Canon Gear Has Appeared for Certification  (Read 5218 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Re: New Unreleased Canon Gear Has Appeared for Certification
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »
Even if the FF mirrorless setup had an EF-M mount (if that's even possible), current EF-M lenses would only cover a crop image circle -- they might be usable on a FF mount but they certainly won't be desirable for that application.

I doubt that Canon would design the FF MILC mount to take EF-M lenses.  But if they use the same flange focal distance and throat diameter (which is possible with EF-M mount specs, albeit barely), then APS-C MILCs could directly mount FF MILC lenses, just like EF lenses on APS-C dSLRs, and that certainly would be desirable.  Or they could use the existing EF mount, which I think is the most likely option.  The third option – a new, dedicated FF MILC mount that requires an adapter for EF lenses and likely won't mount on APS-C MILCs (an ultra-thin uber-unergonomic adapter notwithstanding) – is the least likely option.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »

BillB

• EOS 80D
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 06:05:13 PM »

No no, that's for after they let me down with some ring lite macro collapsing STM variable aperture focus by wire plasticsauce nutty focal length disasterpants of a lens.   

And I have my own graphic for that, thank you very much.   ;)

- A

The solution may be coming, if a fullframe mirrorless is on the way.  I went back to the 2012 lensrental articles on 5DIII auto focus and it turns out the 50mm f1.4 focuses just fine with contrast detect AF in Liveview.  No need for a new lens.  Just a new camera with an EVF.  😊

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 06:16:04 PM »
The solution may be coming, if a fullframe mirrorless is on the way.  I went back to the 2012 lensrental articles on 5DIII auto focus and it turns out the 50mm f1.4 focuses just fine with contrast detect AF in Liveview.  No need for a new lens.  Just a new camera with an EVF.  😊

If Canon's answer for the EF 50 f/1.4 USM replacement (which should cost between $399 and $799 depending on feature set) is to buy a $2K+ new body, they can stuff it.

And even if they did that, f/1.4 on that lens is not terribly usable and the protruding/damageable inner barrel (i.e. the externally focusing design) would still be around.  No sale.

- A

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 07:50:04 AM »
I don't believe the M mount would have an adequate image circle to cover full frame. I could be wrong.

It does. It's almost identical to the Sony E/FE mount size.
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

woodman411

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 08:16:35 AM »
Interchangeable Lens 1

SKU: 2309C005AA
    made in Japan

Interchangeable Lens 2

SKU: 2439C005AA
    made in Japan?

35ish and 85ish EF-M prime lenses? ::)

Are EF-M lenses made in Japan?

I think so. I'm picking up my M5 today, so I'll let you know what it says on the lens. But with a full frame mirrorless body that's supposed to come out next year, along with how well the M5 has been doing (especially compared to the earlier abomination in the M line) it would make a lot of sense for Canon to bulk up the EF-M lens line up ahead of time. The only primes are the 22 and the macro lens. Slim pickings. Rokinon's EF-M 50mm has seen a lot of love though. There is a 16mm EF-M lens out now as well third party.

All EF-M lenses are currently made in Taiwan, even the excellent metal-bodied 11-22.

jeffa4444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
I don't believe the M mount would have an adequate image circle to cover full frame. I could be wrong.

It does. It's almost identical to the Sony E/FE mount size.

It is perfectly possible to make a full frame image circle with a back focus of 18mm. The lenses would need to be a concentric design as much as possible and the lens image circle preferably larger than the current EF system. The optimum flange distance is currently believed to be between 17 - 22mm. An industry group made up of people from Sigma, Sony, Zeiss, Leica, Fuji, Cooke, Angenieux, Panavision & Arri (but not including Olympus, Canon, Nikon & Panasonic) have already discussed the merits of such a standardised approach although I doubt a single common depth will be adopted.

Sony have proved its possible. 
Canon 5DS, Canon 6D, Canon 6D MKII,16-35 f4L IS USM, 17-40 f4L USM, 28 f2.8, 24-70mm f4L IS USM, 24-105 f4L IS USM, 100mm f2.8L IS USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM, 50 f1.8 STM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM II, 1.4EX III, EOS 760D, EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM & others.

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 12:54:34 AM »
if this is it, you should not be disappointed ;)

https://www.canonwatch.com/new-canon-4k-uhd-portable-zoom-broadcast-lenses-announced/

I’m disappointed in the dynamic range of PC2328, whatever it is.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 12:54:34 AM »