December 10, 2017, 11:04:11 PM

Author Topic: RAW white balance  (Read 3314 times)

global pillage

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Re: RAW white balance
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 05:25:27 PM »
FWIW:

I always leave camera on AWB by default.

When I shoot artwork for repro (1/3 of my income), I use a colorchecker chart. Always. Match all in post.

When I shoot people (another 1/3 of income), I sometimes use a colorchecker, but usually not. Nice thing about AWB in this situation is that WB changes slightly every exposure. If I take 500 pictures of someone in a space, chances are that one of the AWB guesses will look best. This is often not "accurate" WB, but most flattering. I then select all and match color settings. Sometimes I have to tweak individual ones to match as color sometimes changes one moment to the next. I'm talking to you, clouds.

When shooting for myself (pretty much zero of my income), I never use a colorchecker. I just figure out to taste.

One note, relating to an above comment: I do a lot of timelapse and shoot RAW as original frames. Sometimes 1500-2000 frames all on AWB. I just synchronize color settings in ACR and have never found it to drift. I vaguely remember something from back in the stone ages of RAW processing availability that to have truly consistent color through a long series of exposures, you would want to manually set the WB. I used to do that. Now I don't bother because I can see no difference.

Hope any of this is helpful.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 05:25:27 PM »

drmikeinpdx

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
Color Checker Passport
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 10:35:48 PM »
I spent a lot of time setting up the parameters for the Color Checker Passport.  It works fine in a consistent color shooting environment, but I found that my work is anything but consistent due to light reflecting off colored surfaces.

I often pose models on colored fabric, which makes their skin close to the fabric take on that color.  The walls inside the rooms where I shoot often have pretty intense color that does the same thing.

When I shoot outdoors it can get really complicated.  There is one secluded waterfall I like to use where different parts of the model's skin will be tinted yellow, green and blue.  The yellow and green come from the thick vegetation.  The blue actually comes from the waterfall itself.  It works like a big white reflector, but it's reflecting light from the blue sky!

The Color Checker Passport appealed to my OCD, but didn't have much practical value for me.  If you work in an all black and/or white studio it would probably be great.
Current bodies:  5D4, 5D3, 77D, T5i, S100, S90
Lenses: 24-70 L2, 135 f/2.0 L, Tamron 85 f/1.8, 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f/1.2L, 24-105 L, 70-200 f/4 L, 35 f/2 IS, 24&40 pancakes, EF-S 18-135,
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

geekpower

• EOS M5
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 06:08:30 PM »
imo outdoors is easy.  sunny, chose daylight, not sunny, choose shade.  done.

indoors is where it gets complicated, because your flash is almost never the same temp as the ambient lighting, and this is not something you can correct in post.

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 06:16:57 PM »

indoors is where it gets complicated, because your flash is almost never the same temp as the ambient lighting, and this is not something you can correct in post.

I use gels  8)
1dx mkII, 35 L II, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

geekpower

• EOS M5
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 04:39:09 PM »

I use gels  8)

indeed, but doing so takes time/effort to set up correctly.

SkynetTX

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 05:59:10 PM »
I prefer to use the correct setting of the camera: daylight for daylight, cloudy for cloudy, shade for shade. Tungsten and fluorescent probably will not match perfectly since the light sources has different temperatures but that can be corrected even in DPP. And as I'm just taking photos for myself, a little difference is not that important for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 05:59:10 PM »