December 17, 2017, 01:36:01 AM

Author Topic: Sony A7R3 manual drops -- here comes the fine print  (Read 4748 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
Sony A7R3 manual drops -- here comes the fine print
« on: November 07, 2017, 04:08:47 PM »
Okay, here's the manual for the A7R3:
http://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4728/2b3f52f7b398c5f1ca1e1112d1d449ee/47287791M.pdf?pr

Re: 14 bit vs. 12 bit RAW, where they stick to their A9 / A99 II terminology of 'compressed', 'uncompressed' here, and 'Hi+' typically equals the fastest continuous fps burst (which is 10 fps in this case but is strangely not listed anywhere in the manual that I can see):

"The shooting speed during continuous shooting becomes slower when [RAW File Type] is set to [Uncompressed]." (page 43) --> so just like the A9 and A99-II, the A7R3 can deliver uncompressed RAW at high speed.  The camera may / may not default to compressed 12 bit RAW when you jump to Hi+ shooting speeds, but the manual here would imply you can switch back to fully uncompressed RAW with Hi+ shooting, but you won't get the full 10 fps.  (On the A99 II, this was still pretty close to it's max 12 fps from testing that has been published.)

Re: Shenanigans with AF getting locked during high speed shooting:

"When the F-value is greater than F8 in [Continuous Shooting: Hi+], [Continuous Shooting: Hi] or [Continuous Shooting: Mid] mode, the focus is locked to the setting in the first shot."
(page 43)

Re: temperature of the camera (not the WB):

"If the same part of your skin touches the camera for a long period of time while using the camera, even if the camera does not feel hot to you, it may cause symptoms of a low-temperature burn such as redness or blistering."  (Page 8.)

- A

canon rumors FORUM

Sony A7R3 manual drops -- here comes the fine print
« on: November 07, 2017, 04:08:47 PM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
Re: Sony A7R3 manual drops -- here comes the fine print
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 04:51:57 PM »
And no discussion of that pixel shift / multi-shot feature is anywhere to be found.

Did Sony pre-sell something that didn't make the final firmware?

- A

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 05:03:12 PM »
Go to the full 650 page help guide for more discussion, including pixel shift.

http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1710/v1/en/print.pdf

3kramd5

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 05:15:17 PM »
I’m not sure I’d call the AF lock thing “shenanigans.” The fact that it will (allegedly) focus at f/11 at all is noteworthy. My 1dx won’t even try.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:17:34 PM by 3kramd5 »
Some Canon, some Nikon, some Sony, some Olympus

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
I’m not sure I’d call the AF lock thing “shenanigans.” The fact that it will (allegedly) focus at f/11 at all is noteworthy. My 1dx won’t even try.

Try liveview.  Thats what you are basically getting in a mirrorless camera. 

3kramd5

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 05:23:45 PM »

You’re saying it’s limited to CDAF on the A7iii and A9, not PDAF?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:28:07 PM by 3kramd5 »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 05:33:46 PM »

What aperture the lens uses to AF vs. capture the shot are different things, aren't they?   My 5D3 can take continuous shots at f/11, f/14, etc. with working AF provided the lens is capable of f/5.6 or quicker, correct?

For instance, I'm looking through the front element as I half-shutter for AF on my 5D3 and my 35 f/2 lens set at f/11 is autofocusing (to my eye) wide open.  The f/11 closing of the blades doesn't happen until I actually take the shot.

Oh... is this a mirrorless/liveview vs. SLR AF thing I'm missing?   I just repeated the exercise on my 5D3 -- but this time in LiveView -- and the half shutter press for AF did indeed close the iris down.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 05:33:46 PM »

3kramd5

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 05:41:22 PM »
Perhaps we are interpreting it differently. I read elsewhere that a9 will drive lenses where the *max aperture* is f/11 (e.g. a f/2.8 lens with two 2X teleconverters). My assumption is that they are addressing that capability, but the language in the literature could instead be addressing exposure settings not lens configuration.

If they indeed release the rumored FE 400/2.8, if and these cameras can focus with max aperture f/11, you could have a natively-working 1600mm AF system.

^^ stacking “ifs” is always fun.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:52:05 PM by 3kramd5 »

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 05:54:22 PM »
Okay, here's the manual for the A7R3:
http://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4728/2b3f52f7b398c5f1ca1e1112d1d449ee/47287791M.pdf?pr

Re: 14 bit vs. 12 bit RAW, where they stick to their A9 / A99 II terminology of 'compressed', 'uncompressed' here, and 'Hi+' typically equals the fastest continuous fps burst (which is 10 fps in this case but is strangely not listed anywhere in the manual that I can see):

"The shooting speed during continuous shooting becomes slower when [RAW File Type] is set to [Uncompressed]." (page 43) --> so just like the A9 and A99-II, the A7R3 can deliver uncompressed RAW at high speed.  The camera may / may not default to compressed 12 bit RAW when you jump to Hi+ shooting speeds, but the manual here would imply you can switch back to fully uncompressed RAW with Hi+ shooting, but you won't get the full 10 fps.  (On the A99 II, this was still pretty close to it's max 12 fps from testing that has been published.)

Re: Shenanigans with AF getting locked during high speed shooting:

"When the F-value is greater than F8 in [Continuous Shooting: Hi+], [Continuous Shooting: Hi] or [Continuous Shooting: Mid] mode, the focus is locked to the setting in the first shot."
(page 43)

Re: temperature of the camera (not the WB):

"If the same part of your skin touches the camera for a long period of time while using the camera, even if the camera does not feel hot to you, it may cause symptoms of a low-temperature burn such as redness or blistering."  (Page 8.)

- A

Remember our old conversation - uncompressed doesn't automatically imply it's 14bit. Compressed = small file size with some compression artifacts. Uncompressed = no compression artifacts but you can encode as much information as you want up to 14 bits.  You can also shoot compressed 14bit (AF-S mode, mechanical shutter, with compression=on in the settings), that's how it always worked with Sony.

Concerning the camera temperature - that's crazy :) I think that's probably the reason why they are rushing this poor camera to the market. They want to sell as much as they can while it's cold and people didn't realize it'll overheat during the summer.

Don Haines

• posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »

What aperture the lens uses to AF vs. capture the shot are different things, aren't they?   My 5D3 can take continuous shots at f/11, f/14, etc. with working AF provided the lens is capable of f/5.6 or quicker, correct?

For instance, I'm looking through the front element as I half-shutter for AF on my 5D3 and my 35 f/2 lens set at f/11 is autofocusing (to my eye) wide open.  The f/11 closing of the blades doesn't happen until I actually take the shot.

Oh... is this a mirrorless/liveview vs. SLR AF thing I'm missing?   I just repeated the exercise on my 5D3 -- but this time in LiveView -- and the half shutter press for AF did indeed close the iris down.

- A

Interesting...... I will have to try this when I get home....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 05:59:00 PM »

You’re saying it’s limited to CDAF on the A7iii and A9, not PDAF?

They both are supposed to switch to CDAF when there is not enough light for OSPDAF.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 06:00:02 PM »
Remember our old conversation - uncompressed doesn't automatically imply it's 14bit. Compressed = small file size with some compression artifacts. Uncompressed = no compression artifacts but you can encode as much information as you want up to 14 bits.  You can also shoot compressed 14bit (AF-S mode, mechanical shutter, with compression=on in the settings), that's how it always worked with Sony.

Concerning the camera temperature - that's crazy :) I think that's probably the reason why they are rushing this poor camera to the market. They want to sell as much as they can while it's cold and people didn't realize it'll overheat during the summer.

This is on page 143 of the help guide MSP posted above (see graphic).

- A

Don Haines

• posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 06:05:31 PM »

Up here in Canada, a camera that helps keep you hands warm could be a great marketing feature!

Canon cameras don’t have a built in hand warmer..... Canon is doomed!
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 06:05:31 PM »

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 06:10:57 PM »

This is on page 143 of the help guide MSP posted above (see graphic).

- A

Thank you, it seems convincing now :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 06:12:50 PM »

You're confusing the max aperture of the lens with the set value.  Your 1D X won't AF through the viewfinder with an f/11 max lens (e.g., a 400/5.6 + 2x TC), although it will AF in live view with that combo.  But if you set your 70-200mm f/4 lens to f/11, your camera will happily focus between shots in AI Servo.  The Sony focuses at the aperture you choose for the shot, so if you mount an f/4 lens and set the aperture to f/11, the camera won't focus between shots even if set to AF-C. 

That certainly fits my definition of shenanigans.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 06:12:50 PM »