December 12, 2017, 12:04:41 AM

Author Topic: Sony A7R3 manual drops -- here comes the fine print  (Read 4520 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
Re: Sony A7R3 manual drops -- here comes the fine print
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »
Thank you, it seems convincing now :)

I think once they got called out for their 11+7 nonsense a few years back, their firmware course correction was to give folks the 14 bit files they were expecting from an FF rig.  Those files were (after the fact) checked by DPR to be 14 bit, but Sony hasn't formally stated that they were in their product manuals.

Hat tip to MSP for linking the document with the actual info.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 06:17:54 PM »
Concerning the camera temperature - that's crazy :) I think that's probably the reason why they are rushing this poor camera to the market. They want to sell as much as they can while it's cold and people didn't realize it'll overheat during the summer.

Up here in Canada, a camera that helps keep you hands warm could be a great marketing feature!

Canon cameras don’t have a built in hand warmer..... Canon is doomed!

I used to live in Texas where temperature can easily go over 40C in Summer (and may stay like that for a few weeks). Not sure if I would need a hand warmer. I think one of those cooled astro cameras would be more appropriate :)

3kramd5

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 06:22:42 PM »
The Sony focuses at the aperture you choose for the shot

AFAIK that isn’t a hard and fast rule; behavior is camera firmware and even lens dependent. I think zooms focus at set settings (to avoid focus shift), while primes focus wide open. I have an a7R2 I can check with for primes, but don’t own any native zooms for it.

With at least one version of A7R2 firmware it would focus initially wide open but attempt to track at set aperture.

Additionally, the exposure preview on/off may affect behavior.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 06:27:37 PM by 3kramd5 »
Some Canon, some Nikon, some Sony, some Olympus

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 06:27:10 PM »

AFAIK that isn’t a hard and fast rule; behavior is camera firmware and even lens dependent. I think zooms focus at camera settings (to avoid focus shift), while primes focus wide open. I have an a7R2 I can check with for primes, but don’t own any native zooms for it.

https://diglloyd.com/prem/s/ALLVIEW/SonyFullFrame/Sony85f1_4_GM-focusAccuracy-Dolls.html?dglyPT=true

"camera keeps the lens stopped down to the shooting aperture and—critically—focuses while stopped down as well, a crucial algorithmic error in terms of focusing accuracy and precision "

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »
Re: temperature of the camera (not the WB):

"If the same part of your skin touches the camera for a long period of time while using the camera, even if the camera does not feel hot to you, it may cause symptoms of a low-temperature burn such as redness or blistering."  (Page 8.)

- A

Yeh, ever look at page 20 of the 1DX MkII manual?

Or page 15 of the 5D MkIII manual?
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

3kramd5

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 06:31:48 PM »

AFAIK that isn’t a hard and fast rule; behavior is camera firmware and even lens dependent. I think zooms focus at camera settings (to avoid focus shift), while primes focus wide open. I have an a7R2 I can check with for primes, but don’t own any native zooms for it.

https://diglloyd.com/prem/s/ALLVIEW/SonyFullFrame/Sony85f1_4_GM-focusAccuracy-Dolls.html?dglyPT=true

"camera keeps the lens stopped down to the shooting aperture and—critically—focuses while stopped down as well, a crucial algorithmic error in terms of focusing accuracy and precision "

So there is one configuration.

Here at some others: https://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/A7-series-focus-issues-with-certain-lenses/td-p/565123

Point being, I don’t know what they meant. I optimistically (well, since I am not a buyer for a9 or 7R3, perhaps the appropriate term is “curiously”) thought it may PDAF physical configurations of lenses with max aperture greater than f/8. But who really knows?

"If the same part of your skin touches the camera for a long period of time while using the camera, even if the camera does not feel hot to you, it may cause symptoms of a low-temperature burn such as redness or blistering."  (Page 8.)

- A

I was going to address that one as well. It’s a human factors thing, not a “crap I’m burning up my electronics” thing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 06:34:07 PM by 3kramd5 »

Don Haines

• posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »
If the same part of your skin touches the camera for a long period of time while using the camera, even if the camera does not feel hot to you, it may cause symptoms of a low-temperature burn such as redness or blistering

My bet is that most of the time that anyone would be using a camera to shoot video (or live view) for an extended time, that the camera would be mounted on a tripod. Does anyone design their camera to allow heatsinking through the tripod mount? I have had to make sunshades to keep bodies from going into thermal shutdown.... a good radiating heat sink between the tripod head and the camera could help, if the camera piped the heat towards the mount.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »

I was going to address that one as well. It’s a human factors thing, not a “crap I’m burning up my electronics” thing.

Fallout from the infamous McDonald's hot coffee spill litigation? 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

3kramd5

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 07:37:25 PM »

Possibly a CE certification reqt or something similar. In the my world MIL-STD-1472 governs.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 07:43:32 PM by 3kramd5 »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 11:02:27 PM »
I’m not sure I’d call the AF lock thing “shenanigans.” The fact that it will (allegedly) focus at f/11 at all is noteworthy. My 1dx won’t even try.

Try liveview.  Thats what you are basically getting in a mirrorless camera.

You’re saying it’s limited to CDAF on the A7iii and A9, not PDAF?

I'm referring to the comment that the 1D X will not attempt AF at f/11.  It will when in live view.  The Mirrorless Cameras are basically in full time live view, putting the 1D X in that mode lets it AF as well.

3kramd5

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 12:41:29 AM »
I’m not sure I’d call the AF lock thing “shenanigans.” The fact that it will (allegedly) focus at f/11 at all is noteworthy. My 1dx won’t even try.

Try liveview.  Thats what you are basically getting in a mirrorless camera.

You’re saying it’s limited to CDAF on the A7iii and A9, not PDAF?

I'm referring to the comment that the 1D X will not attempt AF at f/11.  It will when in live view.  The Mirrorless Cameras are basically in full time live view, putting the 1D X in that mode lets it AF as well.

Gotcha.

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 03:14:55 AM »
Sony Help Guide - Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera ILCE-7RM3 α7RIII (650 pages)

http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1710/v1/en/print.pdf

hne

• EOS M5
  • Gear limits your creativity
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 03:26:30 AM »

What aperture the lens uses to AF vs. capture the shot are different things, aren't they?   My 5D3 can take continuous shots at f/11, f/14, etc. with working AF provided the lens is capable of f/5.6 or quicker, correct?

For instance, I'm looking through the front element as I half-shutter for AF on my 5D3 and my 35 f/2 lens set at f/11 is autofocusing (to my eye) wide open.  The f/11 closing of the blades doesn't happen until I actually take the shot.

Oh... is this a mirrorless/liveview vs. SLR AF thing I'm missing?   I just repeated the exercise on my 5D3 -- but this time in LiveView -- and the half shutter press for AF did indeed close the iris down.

- A

This is actually governed by how you set the live view exposure simulation setting. If you set it to video mode, it'll stop down as you switch to live view. In photo mode, it'll stop down at half-press if on and only at exposure if off. Or something like that. The setting is slightly different on 5DmkII, 70D and 5DmkIV. What it is exactly like on 5DmkIII is something I don't know. But the general direction of settings should be the same.
Preferred gear: 5D IV, 35/1.4L, 85/1.8, 70-200/2.8L IS, Elinchrom RX
Backup: 5D II, 17-40/4L, 100-400/4.5-5.6L, Yongnuo + 622

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 03:26:30 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »

I seem to recall that photographers reported burns some time ago, so its going to be standard boilerplate from now on.

ecqns

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 04:00:52 PM »

- A

FAKE NEWS!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 04:00:52 PM »