November 24, 2017, 06:36:25 AM

Author Topic: We May Be Waiting a Little While Longer for a New 50mm Lens [CR2]  (Read 9392 times)

BillB

• EOS 80D
Re: We May Be Waiting a Little While Longer for a New 50mm Lens [CR2]
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2017, 04:37:35 AM »

You've just described the upgrade I want - refresh the 50mm f/1.4 same as the 24-28-35mm and at the same price point.

As Canon didn't carry that upgrade forward, I can only guess sales weren't as strong as it hoped for.

The 24-28-35 lenses were originally rolled out at much higher prices, which were quickly reduced to current levels, after widespread and noisy opposition to the prices.  Even at the lower levels, I don't think Cannon has sold all that many of them.  Of course, the 16-35 f4 IS came out fairly soon after the wide angle primes were introduced and that couldn't have helped sales.  I know I wouldn't have got my 28 IS if the 16-35 f4 had been around.  All in all, I doubt that Cannon's experience with the three wide angles demonstrates that there is  much money to be made refreshing mid level primes.  I also doubt that the wide angles that were replaced were selling anywhere near as well as the 50 f1.4  or the 85 f1.8, so there more be may be more demand for the longer focal lengths.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2017, 04:37:35 AM »

Antono Refa

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »

You've just described the upgrade I want - refresh the 50mm f/1.4 same as the 24-28-35mm and at the same price point.

As Canon didn't carry that upgrade forward, I can only guess sales weren't as strong as it hoped for.

The 24-28-35 lenses were originally rolled out at much higher prices, which were quickly reduced to current levels, after widespread and noisy opposition to the prices.  Even at the lower levels, I don't think Cannon has sold all that many of them.

Yeah, I've heard that and tend to believe it.

Of course, the 16-35 f4 IS came out fairly soon after the wide angle primes were introduced and that couldn't have helped sales.  I know I wouldn't have got my 28 IS if the 16-35 f4 had been around.

I went through a similar process.

Thought of buying the 24mm f/2.8 IS USM, then thought the 16-35mm f/4L IS USM would be better, then took a good look at what I actually shoot and how, and went for a 16-35mm f/2.8L mkII (will upgrade to mkIII) for tripod & 35mm f/2 IS USM for handheld.

All in all, I doubt that Cannon's experience with the three wide angles demonstrates that there is  much money to be made refreshing mid level primes.

Which is why I think Canon will release the 50mm f/1.4 as an L, which would be too expensive to me, rather than a mid level prime.

BillB

• EOS 80D
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2017, 04:54:18 PM »
I find myself wondering how much a refreshed 50mm could provide that is not being provided by existing lenses, particularly by the 35 f2 IS, but also considering the current 50mm f1.4 and the 85mm f1.8.  Are there ways to use these lenses to explore capabilities that a refreshed 50 might offer over those that  the existing 50? 

In a trivial sense the 35mm can simulate a 50 through simple cropping.  Coverage comparable to a 50 can also  be achieved with the 35 by zooming with your feet, at least to some degree.  The 85mm offers another approach by moving back from the subject rather than toward it.  The limitations of the current 50 are most obvious at f2.8 and wider due to the flaky AF, but there isn't much reason to think that a refreshed 50 will offer much more than the current 50 stopped down to f4 and beyond.

The 35 has ring USM and IS, and the 85 also has ring USM, but lacks IS.  It seems questionable whether a refreshed 50 would offer much more than these lenses at f2 and f2.8 other than field of view.

Again, I am not arguing that a refreshed 50 would not be useful, but I am wondering whether current lenses may offer ways to explore the opportunities that a refreshed 50 would provide in comparison to the current 50.

blobmonster

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2017, 04:01:23 AM »
@BillB I agree. The 50mm stm looks fine for low price, while the 50L is fine for good quality.  I don't see much of a gap.

Honestly I couldn't care less about coma or what have you regarding the 24L. I've never liked that focal length. I just want a 20mm that works in the sun without huge flare, since getting the sun in the shot is quite a typical use of an ultrawide.

I think the DSLR market is very mature already. We will start to see the holes in Canon's lineup vs Nikon filled is my prediction. At this stage in the game, where almost everyone ought to be satisfied with quality that is already available, they ought to be covering all bases for maximum revenue, then hunker down and reduce costs.

As much as I'd like to believe in a growth market for Canon in stills, the reality is smartphones and professional video are developing whereas dslr stills are already practically perfect.

I think Canon ought to bring out the 20mm since its a focal length that people love to use in a prime. I suspect they might also bring a new 50 with IS etc. Regarding profitability I think I would be looking at the 'long tail' type of sales, as in, primes don't have to sell in huge numbers to still sell a lot over the years, and help justify the business staying in the stills market, by bringing users into the Canon system and keeping them there. I don't really see any holes in the Canon lineup besides an ultra-wide prime. Will it sell hugely? Perhaps not, but it's not reasonable to keep producing the old one when they could just update it and sell for a higher price, given that lens design teams have already covered the other bases, wide L and smaller, slower L IS zooms etc, they can probably be spared a few months to work on the slow burners (sales wise) that are 30 years old, as we saw happen a few years ago. It's not reasonable for them (new primes) to all come out at once so I don't think that the delay since the new 24, 28 and 35 means Canon won't now bring out a 20 and 50 if it believes new and existing users expect them.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:37:33 AM by blobmonster »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2017, 04:01:23 AM »