November 24, 2017, 05:25:50 PM

Author Topic: 100-400 L II in combination with EOS M5 - Experiences  (Read 1809 times)

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: 100-400 L II in combination with EOS M5 - Experiences
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 04:04:57 AM »
Thank you Talys, PCM-madison and ahsanford so far.

I already suspected that the lens will be too front heavy on the M5.
As I will often be aboard a cruise ship a long lens for landscape (espacially icebergs) can be of good value. Then the APS-C cropfactor will help.

On the onshore trips I will then have the M5 (22 [or the 11-22] and 40 pancake) and the 5DMarkII (with 100-400 attached) with me. Don't want to bring too much gear when sitting on the Zodiac for the shoreleave.

regards
Frank

So long as you have the 5D2 with you, feel free to blast away with the M5.  You can always switch the 100-400 to the 5D2 if your wrist cries out in pain.   :D

- A

It’s still mind boggling that people can go their entire lives trying to support large lenses with the grip on the camera body when it was perfectly logical from the first moment that I touched a 400mm lens that you would never even try to hold the weight of the lens with the camera body.

Small bodies are ergonomically superior when used with large lenses.
At 400mm the lens is the center of balance no matter what body you use. Using a large camera body just makes the entire system less maneuverable, it’s just dead weight no matter how you hold it.

If the M5 doesn’t focus quickly that might be reason enough to leave it behind, but as far as I’m concerned an SL2 would be far preferable to the 5D2. The center point on my 1100D tracks birds in flight with a 400f5.6 well enough (though when I did have a 5D2 it did focus noticeably faster, and the larger viewfinder is nice).
The ultimate wildlife camera would be a 5DS crammed into the SL2 body.

The next problem is that the 5D2 has really low pixel density, if you’re not going to get close enough to fill a 35mm frame then the M5 would get better pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: 100-400 L II in combination with EOS M5 - Experiences
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 04:04:57 AM »