December 16, 2017, 10:07:50 AM

Author Topic: Any fans of Peak Design out there?  (Read 3342 times)

LordofTackle

• EOS 80D
Re: Any fans of Peak Design out there?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »
Respectfully, my experience is the opposite.  I find the Capture Clips to be a huge success with FF DSLRs and I often use a belt with two clips for a 5D3/24-70 II and a 1Dx/70-200 II -- sometimes I swap the 24-70 for a 100-400 II.

But, two keys to my success with these clips are the ThinkTank padded belt and a customized mounting strap made from seat belt webbing as shown in the photo below.  The strap is sewn together so if the clip should loosen, it won't slip off.  The padded belt absorbs any shocks and prevents any distortion of the belt that might occur with simpler belts.

Peak Design offers a "Pro Pad" that does something similar to my strap, but I find this simple strap to be easier to use.  This offers more flexibility with the camera.  I can slide the camera around the belt or twist it out of my way when seated.

The Spider Holster is the closest competitor for this application.  But, the Capture Clip is smaller and less obtrusive, especially when a camera is not mounted.  First, the empty Clip stays out of the way isn't hanging off the belt like an empty holster.  Second, the camera mount for the Capture Clip is much smaller than that protruding steel ball required for the Spider.  The new version of the Capture Clip is even slimmer, which is a big reason why I participated in their latest Kickstarter campaign.

Of course, your milleage may vary.

That's a very interesting setup. I might want to copy it  ::)
I wasn't aware of this kind of belts.

Don't you have the problem with gripped DSLR's that they pull heavily to the side, instead of mostly downwards??
That's my main gripe with the capture system paired with my 1D  :-\

And bloody hell, do your captures look worn  :o ???

-Sebastian

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »

FTb-n

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 03:37:10 PM »
Copy away...

My 1Dx most often has a 70-200 or a 100-400 attached.  When clipped, it hangs mostly downward, but still at a slight angle, which is nice because the hood doesn't dig into my leg.  Another benefit of the sewn strap is that it offers some of the flexibility of a strap in that you can swing the camera or a long lens at an angle that is comfortable for walking or one for sitting.  Think of holding a Black Rapid strap closely to your side.  The camera will "find" a comfortable angle.
Varsity Team: 1Dx, 5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II   <<>>   JV Team: 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 40 f2.8, PowerShot G16

brad-man

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 08:00:33 PM »
While there seems to be some difference of opinion on the efficacy of the Capture with a heavy load, most appear to agree that it should play well with a mirrorless setup. Since I happen to have a TT Speed Belt, I'll have to give the DSLR a test drive. The straps/attachment system on the other hand, seems to be universally loved. So the only decision I really need to make is whether to go for the new Slide Lite or pick up the more minimalist Leash. Thanks for all the feedback.

scottkinfw

• EOS 5DS R
  • Wildlife photography is my passion
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 11:27:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully the v3 has been refined to the point of being more comfortable as well as more efficient. The ability to switch the Capture between a pack strap and a belt is very appealing. Macoose, there have been anecdotal reports of people loosing their cameras due to a failure in the Black Rapid system, though I have never experienced any problems, so we'll see. Hopefully the newer Capture will play nicer with a diminutive camera/lens combo. Glad to hear your foot was so handy! Scott, the ability to switch around straps as well as remove them for tripod use is the reason I want to try them out. I just hope I can get used to a bunch of dingleberries hanging off of my kit...

The dingleberies are only about an inch or so after you loop them onto an attachment site.  I don't think you will really even notice them when the straps are not on.

Scott
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II.  Lenses    24-70 2.8L II IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8.   Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT, 580 EX II.
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

Ah-Keong

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 01:14:51 AM »
I am using the version 2, Cuff, Leash, and Clutch.
The Leash is kinda of a safety backup if the camera body escape from the Capture.
so far so good.

the capture pro works well in my opinion if your setup is not heavy (dslr+prime or mirrorless) . Usually I clip it to my backpack or my messenger bag.

For hip setup, I prefer the Spider Holster with the Think Tank Skin Set and belt system.
Canon 7D Mark II | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART|
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 01:57:05 AM »
I have the CapturePro permanently affixed to my hiking pack's shoulder strap somewhere between my collarbone and pec.  I tether my 5D3 + any EF lens up to a 100L to it with the lens facing down.  Would not use my 70-200 f/2.8 on it for ergonomic reasons (over my chest moving about and what not), but I'm sure the connection would be fine.

In short, that clip is a godsend for hiking.  No weight directly on your neck, no strappy tethered-to-bag sort of stuff to get tangled, no BlackRapid swinging at your hip for miles on end (BR's great, just not for hiking), and no need to dismount the bag to draw your camera.  It's right there and quick to dismount, shoot, remount, and keep moving.

Very solid connection with no disconnects, no false positive connections or no problems to speak of.  Be advised that your lens may rub/abrade on whatever harder doodads may already be on the shoulder strap you use it on.  See pic of my hiking pack -- those little plastic sliders and loops can get trapped between the downward mounted lens and the shoulder strap, and little motions with each stride can scuff up your lens.  Hardly the clip's fault, but be advised.  My solution (short of ripping those strap plastic bits off) is to wrap of all things a beer coozy around the lens barrel as a padded outer surface.  I only do this because of this nutty abrasion risk, but it works like a top.

- A
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 02:00:57 AM by ahsanford »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 01:57:05 AM »