December 11, 2017, 04:43:32 AM

Author Topic: The Canon EOS Kiss M / EOS M50 Shows Up for Certification  (Read 10102 times)

TAF

• EOS 80D
Re: The Canon EOS Kiss M / EOS M50 Shows Up for Certification
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2017, 11:53:31 AM »
I'd bet for an APS-C with EF/EF-S mount.

I'm skeptical, but I actually hope this is what comes out. If so, it almost certainly indicates that the full frame mirrorless will have an EF mount.

Agreed.

I regularly suggest a body in the style of a Hasselblad 500 for their first full frame mirrorless offering.  I was visiting a local camera shop, and got to look at the C200.  Bingo.  They already have a body that is close enough to make modifying it fairly easy.

So it wouldn't be all that much a stretch.

I can only hope...

You mean this?! Get lost! ;D For stills it seems impractical in almost every way.
And if you want a fullframe mirrorless EF video body... then you already got C200, right?

That is precisely what I mean.

I am guessing you've never used one (indeed, perhaps never seen or held one either?), or you would know that they are quite handy; the fact that they (and a few similar offerings from other companies) still exist and are considered amongst the pinnacle of high end portrait cameras suggests that, well, the form factor has some advantages.

And I was specifically pointing to the C200 as demonstrating that Canon already has cameras in a very similar form factor, making the creation of a regular camera (not video, which simply isn't my use) in such a form factor would be much less of a development outlay than some might think.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2017, 11:53:31 AM »

Rocky

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2017, 11:26:07 AM »
I'd bet for an APS-C with EF/EF-S mount.

I'm skeptical, but I actually hope this is what comes out. If so, it almost certainly indicates that the full frame mirrorless will have an EF mount.

Agreed.

I regularly suggest a body in the style of a Hasselblad 500 for their first full frame mirrorless offering.  I was visiting a local camera shop, and got to look at the C200.  Bingo.  They already have a body that is close enough to make modifying it fairly easy.

So it wouldn't be all that much a stretch.

I can only hope...

You mean this?! Get lost! ;D For stills it seems impractical in almost every way.
And if you want a fullframe mirrorless EF video body... then you already got C200, right?

That is precisely what I mean.

I am guessing you've never used one (indeed, perhaps never seen or held one either?), or you would know that they are quite handy; the fact that they (and a few similar offerings from other companies) still exist and are considered amongst the pinnacle of high end portrait cameras suggests that, well, the form factor has some advantages.

And I was specifically pointing to the C200 as demonstrating that Canon already has cameras in a very similar form factor, making the creation of a regular camera (not video, which simply isn't my use) in such a form factor would be much less of a development outlay than some might think.
It is handy as a square format camera. Handling is as good as dslr.  At waist level is at perfect position for full body portrait. At eye level it is also at perfect position for head shot. If a 3:2 format is used, then holding it sideways will be a disaster.

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2017, 03:40:22 PM »
And just to be sure: no, EOS M50 will NOT have an FF sensor. It will be the lowest entry point into APS-C sensored EOS M line-up. Basically a further nerfed EOS M100.

That's not how Canon's number works!

They move the M10 to the M100

It makes a lot of sense that this is the M5 mark 2, with the M6  eventually being replaced by the M60

Except for one thing.

The M5 is selling great and there's no big reason to upgrade it right now.

So, I suspect M5 and M6 will remain the premium APS-C M bodies, the M100 will remain the low-end, and the M50 will be somewhat inbetween.

I predicted, and continue to predict, an M100 with small built-in EVF, but to the side (a-la Sony A6000) rather than on top.

Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2017, 07:16:27 PM »
It's too late to make sense of Canon's numbering/naming scheme, it went all skewampis a few years ago and there's no going back.

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »
And just to be sure: no, EOS M50 will NOT have an FF sensor. It will be the lowest entry point into APS-C sensored EOS M line-up. Basically a further nerfed EOS M100.

That's not how Canon's number works!

They move the M10 to the M100

It makes a lot of sense that this is the M5 mark 2, with the M6  eventually being replaced by the M60

Except for one thing.

The M5 is selling great and there's no big reason to upgrade it right now.

Canon upgrades cameras that are selling well. Case and point the Rebels are on 12 to 24 month refresh cycles.

the M5 is over 14 months old, it's due for an update and correction of the multitude of things that should be better if it's in the top rung of canon's mirrorless.

padam

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2017, 06:38:48 AM »
I think this could be the camera that will turn their market strategy upside down.

So it will have EF mount, a fully articulated 16:9 ratio screen with an EVF, built-in ND filters, full-sensor FF 4k 60p 10-bit 4:2:2 XF-AVC internal recording with proxy to dual CFExpress cards with C-Log (and DPAF of course), all in a size of a 200D body.

Ok, one thing which I predict is the absence of a headphone jack :)

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »
I was visiting a local camera shop, and got to look at the C200.  Bingo.  They already have a body that is close enough to make modifying it fairly easy.

Just, look at how those cameras are usually rigged for shooting - not so often they are used almost "naked" with just a simple handle. Those bodies are designed for rigging - for shoulder or tripod use.

Anyway, even Hasselblad with its X1D retained the squared design when seen from the front, but made it a lot thinner.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »