November 21, 2017, 03:42:54 AM

Author Topic: The Canon EOS Kiss M / EOS M50 Shows Up for Certification  (Read 7785 times)

ritholtz

• EOS 6D Mark II
Re: The Canon EOS Kiss M / EOS M50 Shows Up for Certification
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »
I'd bet for an APS-C with EF/EF-S mount.

I'm skeptical, but I actually hope this is what comes out. If so, it almost certainly indicates that the full frame mirrorless will have an EF mount.

I hope so too. I almost wonder if they are considering abandoning the EF-M mount then. I have an M-5 & two Ef-M lenses, but I rarely use those. I always have EF or EF-s lens attached. The 50 1.4 actually feels really nice on the M5. I'd be willing to bet that the FF Mirrorless with be EF mount, and possibly Cinema orriented to compete with the Sony A7S II & A7R iii. Either way, the EOS M line is finally working out, the M5 is phenomenal IMO, but the line needs beefing up, and soon.
Am i going to save lot of space and weight from 80d to M5.  How does SL2 stack up with M5 in terms of features, size and spec. SL2 has same sensor as 80d and produces same measurements.
70D, 10-18mm, 17-50mm F2.8, 85mm F1.8, 55-250 STM.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »

JohanCruyff

• EOS 80D
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »
Regarding the APS-C MILC range, it's not yet nearly as segmented as the APS-C dSLR range, which arguably has 6 levels: xxxxD, xxxD, xxD, and 7D, plus the small-size 100/200D and the xxxD/xxD hybrids (760D and 77D, which are EOS 8000D/9000D in Japan).  So, there's plenty of room in the MILC line.
I agree with you, but I think that it is strange to see 6 different APS-C DSLR and so many different APS-C ML.
I would expect Canon to decide to push (and differentiate) the ML segment only when they start to reduce the APS-C range. Sooner or later...

BTW, I think that in the long run (5 years? 20 years from now? who knows!) Canon's options could be something like
- 1M (sport FF ML)
- 5M (all-rounder FF ML)
- 5MsR ("high megapixel count" FF ML)
- 6M (cheap all-rounder FF ML)
- 7M ("pro/sport" APS-C ML)
-XXM (enthusiast APS-C ML)
- etc.

Italian amateur. Gear: 6D, M6, various lenses.
My Android Trivia App for Music/Movie Experts: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=threeviasoftware.threevia&hl=en

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 11:35:54 AM »
I think everyone is off in the weeds here.

Nokishita is calling this PC232xx which means it's a powershot based camera, not a DSC that a rebel would have.

As of next Feb or so, the M5 is 1.5 years old.  it's due for an upgrade.  Since this is just the bluetooth module certification, we could be talking closer to 2 years old for the M5 (sept 2018).

Could canon be calling that an M50 or a Kiss M because it's finally more mainstream - altogether possible and more probable. there's no laws that say that canon must follow it's DSLR naming convention for the M series.

it would not make sense to have another APS-C EF-M camera in the mix unless it was upgrading one of the three, there's simply not much room in between them all, unless canon is making an even cheaper version of the EF M100.

there's quite a bit that i'd love to see updated on my EOS-M5, so it's not as if canon's reached the pinnacle for what they can do with the series of camera bodies they already have.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:40:25 AM by rrcphoto »

CanonGrunt

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 11:42:03 AM »

I'm skeptical, but I actually hope this is what comes out. If so, it almost certainly indicates that the full frame mirrorless will have an EF mount.

I hope so too. I almost wonder if they are considering abandoning the EF-M mount then. I have an M-5 & two Ef-M lenses, but I rarely use those. I always have EF or EF-s lens attached. The 50 1.4 actually feels really nice on the M5. I'd be willing to bet that the FF Mirrorless with be EF mount, and possibly Cinema orriented to compete with the Sony A7S II & A7R iii. Either way, the EOS M line is finally working out, the M5 is phenomenal IMO, but the line needs beefing up, and soon.
Am i going to save lot of space and weight from 80d to M5.  How does SL2 stack up with M5 in terms of features, size and spec. SL2 has same sensor as 80d and produces same measurements.

I prefer the M5 over the 7D II most of the time. So I think you'll like it a lot and it will more than meet your needs. it's definitely better than the SL2, and I think better than the 80D as well.
EOS 1V, EOS 5D MK III, EOS M5, EOS 7D, Rebel T3i, EF-M 22mm STM, 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM L MK II, Nifty Fifty & Shorty Forty, EF-S 10-22 USM, 24-105 IS USM L, 100 IS USM L Macro, 2X Extender MK III, EF-S 24mm, G9, and HF S-10.

ritholtz

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 03:45:40 PM »

I prefer the M5 over the 7D II most of the time. So I think you'll like it a lot and it will more than meet your needs. it's definitely better than the SL2, and I think better than the 80D as well.
Thanks for the feedback. I will look out for M5 sale on Canon website. I just purchased SL2. But it is easy to sell and move to M5.

Thanks
70D, 10-18mm, 17-50mm F2.8, 85mm F1.8, 55-250 STM.

James Larsen

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »
Canon's gonna do the unthinkable and it's gonna be a FF mirrorless body lol  :P

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »
The Kiss moniker suggests a consumer (xxD/xxxD) level ILC.  But no Rebel moniker.  Perhaps a mirrorless equivalent of the 77D / Kiss 9000.

You beat me to it, Neuro.  The 77D immediately came to mind when I saw this.

Now lose the 'Kiss' and call it M1 and this might have been a much juicier tell.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 05:18:10 PM »
As of next Feb or so, the M5 is 1.5 years old.  it's due for an upgrade.  Since this is just the bluetooth module certification, we could be talking closer to 2 years old for the M5 (sept 2018).

Could canon be calling that an M50 or a Kiss M because it's finally more mainstream - altogether possible and more probable. there's no laws that say that canon must follow it's DSLR naming convention for the M series.

One would think the now pretty well segmented M5-6 / M10 / M100 market wouldn't move product at level X to a different number of digits.  In other words, I expect an M5 or M6 sequel to just be a 'EOS M5 Mk II'.

I think M50 = 77D-like middle option between M5-6 and M100, and M50 would have an integral VF and M60 (to be released someday?) might be the VF-less design.

- A

brad-man

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 05:30:47 PM »
And I suppose this Kiss will be released with yet another slooooow zoom. Yippee! Is a quick 32, 54 and an f/4 standard zoom (and while we're at it an f/4 44-125mm) really too much to ask for >:(

And how about a real macro at say 60mm f/2.8.

There. I feel better now...

• EOS M5
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 02:00:03 AM »

One would think the now pretty well segmented M5-6 / M10 / M100 market wouldn't move product at level X to a different number of digits.  In other words, I expect an M5 or M6 sequel to just be a 'EOS M5 Mk II'.

I think M50 = 77D-like middle option between M5-6 and M100, and M50 would have an integral VF and M60 (to be released someday?) might be the VF-less design.

Given the name the M50 could be expected to be a M10 with EVF but sans hotshoe. A M60 would be one with optional EVF, but still no hot shoe. I don't expect the last one outside the Canon design center!

If it's called Kiss M on the Canon home market than we could expect that the much cheaper to make mirrorless M series could replace that that's called Rebels and high digit DSLRs elsewhere!

AvTvM

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 04:16:02 AM »
to me EOS M moniker is a clear give-away it will come with EF-M lens mount, not EF-S.

I expect it to be the next low end body in the EOS M range ... cheaper than M100, same sensor but even more nerfed in UI/control points, maybe no AvTvM modes at all ... etc. 

rrcphoto

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 12:35:08 PM »

- A

if that was the case, why wasn't there a M3 Mark II, or a M10 mark II,etc,etc.

it seems like the powershot group is not going by the same sequencing as the DSLR group, and this is as far as nokishita, a powershot camera.

the M10 as well has been replaced.  the current naming is M5,M6,M100.  the M10 went to M100, could the M5 go to M50? why not?

by the time this camera comes out it the M5 will be almost 2 years old.

it's overdue for a replacement already.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:38:05 PM by rrcphoto »

rrcphoto

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »

- A

if that was the case, why wasn't there a M3 Mark II, or a M10 mark II,etc,etc.

it seems like the powershot group is not going by the same sequencing as the DSLR group, and this is as far as nokishita, a powershot camera.

the M10 as well has been replaced.  the current naming is M5,M6,M100.  the M10 went to M100, could the M5 go to M50? why not?

by the time this camera comes out it the M5 will be almost 2 years old.

it's overdue for a replacement already.

also, next year we should be seeing DIGIC 8 out in the wild.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »

TAF

• EOS 80D
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 12:00:08 AM »

Agreed.

I regularly suggest a body in the style of a Hasselblad 500 for their first full frame mirrorless offering.  I was visiting a local camera shop, and got to look at the C200.  Bingo.  They already have a body that is close enough to make modifying it fairly easy.

So it wouldn't be all that much a stretch.

I can only hope...

angrykarl

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »

Agreed.

I regularly suggest a body in the style of a Hasselblad 500 for their first full frame mirrorless offering.  I was visiting a local camera shop, and got to look at the C200.  Bingo.  They already have a body that is close enough to make modifying it fairly easy.

So it wouldn't be all that much a stretch.

I can only hope...

You mean this?! Get lost! ;D For stills it seems impractical in almost every way.
And if you want a fullframe mirrorless EF video body... then you already got C200, right?
EOS M5 | EF-M 22 | EF-M 18-150 | EF-S 35 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Helios 44-2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »