December 11, 2017, 08:37:39 AM

Author Topic: Delay a pulse to fire a speedlite  (Read 3482 times)

niels123

• EOS 80D
Re: Delay a pulse to fire a speedlite
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2017, 03:59:36 AM »
I'm considering to keep them so I can do off-camera high-speed sync with one of my canon speedlites  :)

I have a cheap monolight that I use for model work, I guess the Godox X1 won't be able to use high-speed sync with that one or am I wrong? if so, how can I do that?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2017, 03:59:36 AM »

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2017, 05:18:37 AM »
High-speed sync needs some help from the flash. It needs to output light as long as the shutter slit travels across the sensor. That's done in different ways. Some units can keep the lamp on for a longer time, and the shutter is synced so it fires to get the better output of the lamp (a lamp doesn't turn on and off instantly, it's an asymmetrical bell shaped curve, you want the shutter to fire to use the light around the peak). Others pulse the lamp very quickly. Those different technologies may be given different names like Hypersync and High Speed Sync.

If your monolight has a longer flash duration (and a peak wide enough, usually at full power) you'll need to trigger it slightly before the shutter opens - but I don't know if the Godox can achieve it. It would be tricky anyway, if you need it, better to get a unit and a transmitter already designed for it.

niels123

• EOS 80D
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2017, 05:35:08 AM »
High-speed sync needs some help from the flash. It needs to output light as long as the shutter slit travels across the sensor. That's done in different ways. Some units can keep the lamp on for a longer time, and the shutter is synced so it fires to get the better output of the lamp (a lamp doesn't turn on and off instantly, it's an asymmetrical bell shaped curve, you want the shutter to fire to use the light around the peak). Others pulse the lamp very quickly. Those different technologies may be given different names like Hypersync and High Speed Sync.

If your monolight has a longer flash duration (and a peak wide enough, usually at full power) you'll need to trigger it slightly before the shutter opens - but I don't know if the Godox can achieve it. It would be tricky anyway, if you need it, better to get a unit and a transmitter already designed for it.

It would be welcome but for sure not *needed*. 99+% of my studio work is portraits and static body scapes. Currently, I definitely won't spend money on a flash that can do it since they are quite expensive when you want quality as well. My flash has no options to do it whatsoever, only the power can be adjusted. That being said: I don't mind at the moment, I have succesfully used my 600EX off-camera at lower powers and slightly higher ISO's (around 400) to freeze some motion of models in my studio. I think my speedlites will have more than enough power to perform the things I would want to and I don't see myself carrying a large monopack for shoots outdoors. In that case, I usually just bring a single speedlite and flash umbrella.

Nevertheless, the option to have off-camera HSS with my Speedlites (compared to 1/160 limit with my current Cactus V5 triggers) is a big improvement I think. It gives me the option to use flash for portraits in brighter conditions outside without half your image completely overexposed. What do you think?

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2017, 09:45:52 AM »
Nevertheless, the option to have off-camera HSS with my Speedlites (compared to 1/160 limit with my current Cactus V5 triggers) is a big improvement I think. It gives me the option to use flash for portraits in brighter conditions outside without half your image completely overexposed. What do you think?

HSS is really useful outdoor (or indoor with a lot of ambient light) when you need shutter speed faster than X-sync. As an alternative indoor to obtain faster exposures to freeze motions, faster than some monolights allow (i.e. my Elinchrom RX4 has a flash duration of 1/800 at full power) it may not work for all subjects, you may need very short flash duration anyway.

If the speedlites work for you the better, whenever you feel the need of HSS with more powerful units better to rely on one designed for it, or you may end in an expensive "hit-and-miss" situation, especially if you do it for a living.

niels123

• EOS 80D
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2017, 01:47:57 PM »

HSS is really useful outdoor (or indoor with a lot of ambient light) when you need shutter speed faster than X-sync. As an alternative indoor to obtain faster exposures to freeze motions, faster than some monolights allow (i.e. my Elinchrom RX4 has a flash duration of 1/800 at full power) it may not work for all subjects, you may need very short flash duration anyway.

If the speedlites work for you the better, whenever you feel the need of HSS with more powerful units better to rely on one designed for it, or you may end in an expensive "hit-and-miss" situation, especially if you do it for a living.

I don't do it for a living, model shooting with off-camera flash is just hobby. I do shoot paid assignment though, but I rely on ambient light and fast primes 99+% of the time then. If I would get paid a decent amount for shoots with off-camera flash, I would for sure invest in a high-end monolight.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2017, 01:47:57 PM »