December 16, 2017, 02:14:48 PM

Author Topic: The BCN Camera Rankings Are Out, Canon Leads in DSLR & Compacts  (Read 2298 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Re: The BCN Camera Rankings Are Out, Canon Leads in DSLR & Compacts
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 05:09:51 PM »
You do realize that C100s are comparable in price to typical ILC prosumer bodies right?

Lol.  I'm not sure what substance, legal or illicit, is altering your state of consciousness…but whatever it is it must be pretty strong. 

The C100 II is $3500.  Whether your 'typical ILC prosumer body' is an 80D at $1100 or a 6DII at $2000, the C100 II is far more expensive.  Oh, you said C100, not the MkII.  That's a bargain at $2500, but in fairness as a replaced model that should be compared to the original 6D at $1270. 

Next, you'll probably try to claim that the 5-series bodies are 'typical prosumer cameras'.  That will be good for a laugh   ::)

Sorry if you don't see the connection, but it is pretty obvious in the numbers to me. Canon obviously do sell M cameras as well, but the surge in their MILC numbers in the last few years is being driven to a significant extent by their very successful Cx00 line, and these are not MILCs as we normally think of them. Are you disputing that these cameras are being included in the MILC numbers?

I'm saying their inclusion, for all practical purposes, is irrelevant.  Again, you're suggesting cameras costing thousands of dollars (the equivalent in ¥)  and specifically targeted at the cinema industry are contributing more to sales numbers than consumer-oriented cameras costing hundreds of dollars.  I'm sorry you don't see how that assertion is ridiculous and asinine.   

This apparent connection exists only in your addled brain.  But don't take my word for it…read through Canon's investor relations materials, where they repeatedly cite strong sales of M-series cameras and increases in demand at the entry level as reasons for growth (or reasons for slowing contraction, depending on the year).  Cinema EOS is not even mentioned as contributing to the bottom line.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 05:09:51 PM »

Hector1970

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »
I'm surprised Olympus is no 1 in Japan for mirrorless. Japanese seem to be loyal to it as a brand.
The OM-D 1 Mark II is a brilliant camera. I've used it quite a bit and its surprisingly good.
Olympus also have great lens. They are so light and compact. Very good quality.
However most of their other cameras have an absolutely bonkers operating system.
I have an OM-D 10 Mark II and it has a mind of its own. Too many options and controls.
It's a shame really as the sensor is really good for such a small sensor.

I'd be curious if Canon is making any money out of the M series.
I would have been in the market to buy one but I've found no model so far attractive.
The Fuji products are far superior. The cost of them is perhaps prohibitive to them having a bigger share but they may have good margins on their cameras.
There are plenty of companies who were once in Canon's position and are now small players because they thought if the kept doing what they are doing they would remain successful.

Canons high ends lens and cameras are still very good and carry the brand name.
It's certainly not the M series that's making the brand desirable.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »