December 10, 2017, 11:06:45 PM

Poll

will be?

dead on arrival. less dynamic range, worse low light than comp. handicapped video feautures
too little too late. equal to competition but released in late 2018
blow away comp. 4k 60p(FF and crop), IBIS, 10fps, super fast buffer, 14 stops DR
canons first mirrorless camera
already preordered my a7riii or d850

Author Topic: The 5DsR mk2  (Read 15272 times)

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: The 5DsR mk2
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »
For high-resolution macro photography the pixel shift feature in the A7RIII is a hugely significant development.

not really. focus shift is far more your friend for high resolution macro, and it's not as if the A7RIII was the first to ever offer pixel shift so it's hardly "a significant development"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »

neurorx

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 12:41:01 PM »
What is everyone's experience using the 5Ds/r for landscape or wildlife photography?  Can you use it hand-held?  Any reason to be concerned if you are using only L glass?   

I got the 5D IV and returned it as it wasn't a big enough jump over my 5D III.  The extra DR was nice, but not enough to make me pay the original 3400.  I wanted to see if the 5Dsr might be an attractive option for the outdoor photos.  I don't use my camera for videos, but really do want higher resolution as I really value details in the photos I take.  My taste, please no stones...

scottkinfw

• EOS 5DS R
  • Wildlife photography is my passion
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 01:22:52 PM »
5DS series was never advertised as a dedicated or capable video camera, but rather a big megapixel monster for still images. Still is actually and the successor probably will continue that trend.

These are opinions of what YOU think it should be.  You may not be the majority, or the demographic that actually buys this camera the most!  Canon usually makes evolutionary changes, not revolutionary changes so it would not be reasonable to expect differently about the next release.

I am considering a high res camera, and I would likely be thrilled to have the next iteration.  Video? Not that important to me.

Just another perspective.

sek
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II.  Lenses    24-70 2.8L II IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8.   Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT, 580 EX II.
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

scottkinfw

• EOS 5DS R
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »
I own a 1Dx, 1Dx mk2 and 5DsR...theres no bias...its honesty. Canon cant help itself from protecting the cinema line to make the camera that needs to be made. Also hows it gonna handicap the 5DsR mk2 to protect the 5D mk4. We all know the 5DsR wont be 4k60p...but it should be and not at 800mbps. Will it have 4k hdmi out...probably not. Now I cant do 4k live streams. I dont want to switch. I hate the way the a9 feels in my hands and ive shot over 7,000 pics with it. I want DPAF but whats the point if I need to spend over 1,000 per hour of CFast2 4k60p. Im willing to live with GOOD ENOUGH video AF sony has now.

Id pay 6,000 for a 5DsR mk2 with low light equal to the a7r iii, 4k 60p, IBIS, 4k hdmi out, 8-10 fps, 50 RAW frame buffer uncompressed, DPAF, wifi. Thats all very realistic. If I saw a leak that it was coming out next summer Id wait for it unless the A7Siii pulled me away from the C200.

I want canon to do better. Im not gonna make excuses for it to keep being less than it should be.

Oh and my 5DsR is USELESS for profesisonal video. thats really the biggest thing pushing me away from it. Hell a canon xf400 has DPAF and 4k60P out.

The fact you have Canon does not mean the poll is not biased. The blend of questions is biased, the reason you set up the poll is biased towards a weak point of Canon (video).
I presume you will not be applying for a job at Gallup any time soon.

I agree.  I didn't answer the poll question because there was no realistic answer I could agree with.

Scott
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II.  Lenses    24-70 2.8L II IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8.   Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT, 580 EX II.

edoorn

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »
What is everyone's experience using the 5Ds/r for landscape or wildlife photography?  Can you use it hand-held?  Any reason to be concerned if you are using only L glass?   

I got the 5D IV and returned it as it wasn't a big enough jump over my 5D III.  The extra DR was nice, but not enough to make me pay the original 3400.  I wanted to see if the 5Dsr might be an attractive option for the outdoor photos.  I don't use my camera for videos, but really do want higher resolution as I really value details in the photos I take.  My taste, please no stones...

I rented a 5ds for a week of wildlife shooting (mainly big cats) in the Mara last year. Ita not a very fast camera but those pixels, that’s amazing to have.

Hand held can be done but I shot it off a bean bag a lot. Have a large print with cheetah’s now in the living room, taken with 100-400ii and converter and it looks great.

The 5d4 is really a great camera (much more improvements than just the dr) and I hope they will bring the tech from this cam to a 5ds II. Along with a tilt screen and hopefully some other surprises :)

scottkinfw

• EOS 5DS R
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 01:30:29 PM »
The 5DSR Mark I hasn't really impressed me as a camera.
Maybe its my version but the 5D III and 5D IV that I have are better in terms of image quality.
It doesn't perform well as the ISO goes up.
I was never blown away by its detail as I didn't think it ever showed any more detail than a 5D III.
I'd find the image quality in the 5D IV much better than it.
You know the file size when you are buying it but 50mp tends to be a waste.
I think they crammed too many MP's in the sensor to get to fifty and overstretched it.
I've felt the same with the 7DII (similar if not same MP density).
It wasn't a great buy.
It is slow, there is a second or two delay between taking the photo and it displaying which I find annoying.
It performs best on a tripod at ISO100.
If they bring out a 5DSR Mark II it would need to be really excellent to convince me to upgrade.
The detail it would bring out would have to be a step above the 5D IV.
It's performance at ISO 1600 onwards would need to be alot better

Of course it could be mirrorless which would be a different take.
I think if Canon go mirrorless the first camera has to be very good.

What lenses are you using on the 5Dsr?  That could make a huge difference in image quality.

Scott

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 01:37:09 PM »

Why would you not be able to use it handheld? Or with L glass? Are you referring to comments about is showing flaws in technique?
If so, then understand one thing: even if you had a tera-zillion MP camera, the image quality will never be any more worse or have more flaws than with a 20MP, 50MP or a 100MP sensor (and by flaws I mean camera shake, subject movement, lens aberrations or diffusion). What does happen is that poor technique will inhibit realising the benefits of more pixels - a lot people look at an image 1:1 on the computer and say "this is soft! I need to use a tripod" but that is because at 1:1 you are looking at a larger image.

Yes, the 5DSR will give more detail, but likely at the expense of dynamic range. There is no free lunch. In good light I would say use the 5DSR, in low light the 5DIV starts to pull ahead - you can downsample the 5DSR and get closer to the DR of the 5DIV (or the 5DIII), but it is all compromises.
I find exactly the same thing with my 7D2 compared to 1Dx2, but then I got the 1Dx2 not for IQ but for AF compared to my 7D2 when shooting fast moving wildlife. It sounds like you will not have the same issues as I do.
I would say buy the 5DSR and have fun.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 01:37:09 PM »

scottkinfw

• EOS 5DS R
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 02:17:39 PM »

I'm not expert on the questions, but with that said, the R would not be my first choice for low light, or wildlife that is moving.  Depending on your lens and the lighting, you should be able to hand hold.
Landscape photography typically relies on tripods and filters (though not always), so I would imagine that this is how it would be used for landscape pics.  The high resolution of this sensor screams for the best resolving lenses, so L lenses, especially newer releases would be ideal.  If I misstate anything, I apologize.

Scott

Larsskv

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Enthusiast with Canon related GAS
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 04:55:20 PM »

My 5Ds hasn’t been on a tripod more than a couple of times. It is no problem at all to use it handheld. Actually, I use my 5Ds for street photography quite a lot, and it performs very well.

I try to keep my shutter speed about 50% faster than I would do with my 1DXII, and that usually turns out good. If I need to use slower shutter speeds, I take a few extra shots, so that I can have more to choose from, and that will usually give me a good result.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 05:07:56 PM »
If only there were a leak to give me a reason not to buy the a7Riii

What a ridiculous poll. Three negative choices, one pretty irrelevant and the only positive choice so distorted in unlikely features that it is difficult to expect them and check that box.

+1. 

I can't find the option for "It will only offer 80% as much as the competition but it will work reliably and seamlessly with my other gear and will sell really well" on this poll.

- A

Chris_BC

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2017, 05:13:18 PM »

I use my 5DsR handheld much of the time.  I also use a tripod at times.  The same rules apply as with other cameras and shooting situations.  The longer the exposure, the more likely you need a tripod.  I use nothing but L glass, and newer versions when I can.  When using IS lenses in bright light in particular, I'm going to say that a better lens is going to be much more important than using a tripod.  Of course this will vary depending on how steady your hands are.

I had the 5D MkIII, and I can assure you that the 5DsR is a big jump in resolution and sharpness.  I know this better than most as my monitor is the 43 inch Philips 4K model.  If you're viewing on something 27 inches or smaller, you just aren't coming close to getting a true idea.  Unless your face is about 10 inches away....  (BTW, viewing at 50% is pretty much the highest you want to go for a true assessment of sharpness.  The rule about sampling rate being double the max you want to observe is still true, so I have no idea why people talk about pixel peeping at 100%.)

Some of my pictures viewed on the Philips literally look as if I'm looking out the window at the scene.  I've always been after maximum sharpness, and the 5DsR delivers in spades.  I was never happy with anything sharpness wise until I had the 5D MkIII, and even then I was hoping for even more.  The 5DsR delivers, and it is excellent for landscapes handheld as long as you have the light.  If you want to kick it up a notch and be able to stop down for greater depth of field as well, use the tripod and the mirror lockup.

As others have noted, the 5DsR is not a great low light camera compared to other recent options out there.
5DsR, 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-105 F4 L IS, 11-24 F4 L, 100-400 F4.5-5.6L

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2017, 05:23:46 PM »

Just speaking to the lens question, as Uncle Rog shows here...

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/06/canon-5ds-and-5ds-r-initial-resolution-tests/

...a rising tide lifts all boats, but better boats are lifted higher.  All lenses in his test (3 very good + 1 older/used/banged up) show a greater resolving power on the finer 50 MP canvas, but the quality of the lens dictates how much better it gets.

- A

Memdroid

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2017, 03:38:39 AM »
5DS series was never advertised as a dedicated or capable video camera, but rather a big megapixel monster for still images. Still is actually and the successor probably will continue that trend.

These are opinions of what YOU think it should be.  You may not be the majority, or the demographic that actually buys this camera the most!  Canon usually makes evolutionary changes, not revolutionary changes so it would not be reasonable to expect differently about the next release.

I am considering a high res camera, and I would likely be thrilled to have the next iteration.  Video? Not that important to me.

Just another perspective.

sek

I think you misquoted or misread my post...
You basically said what I already posted.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2017, 03:38:39 AM »

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2017, 05:29:03 AM »
For high-resolution macro photography the pixel shift feature in the A7RIII is a hugely significant development.

not really. focus shift is far more your friend for high resolution macro, and it's not as if the A7RIII was the first to ever offer pixel shift so it's hardly "a significant development"

Focus shift is a simple but useful way of getting basic macro stacking for larger objects but doesn't work for smaller items where the focus shift is too coarse to be able to capture every layer needed. 

There you need to move the camera (or object) with precise accuracy using something like the Stackshot system.

Now, if you combine this with pixel shift, and take a pixel shift combined image for every single point in your stack you'll take 4 times as many photos but you'll get better results.

Also.  The other huge bonus with mirrorless cameras for this kind of work is being able to take photos with the shutter locked up. When you're doing 200+ shots to create a single image this is quite useful.  Having said that, the Sony implementation so far isn't perfect, and Canon does seem to integrate better into remote control systems for example with support by Helicon Remote.     But the A7RIII does seem like it would be a great camera for this kind of work IF the software support was better.
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

suburbia

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 12:38:58 PM »
wonder the comparison with astro-photography

The new Sony a7RIII camera still eats stars

Read more: https://photorumors.com/2017/11/22/the-new-sony-a7riii-camera-still-eats-stars/#ixzz4zBQNRtOR

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 12:38:58 PM »