December 12, 2017, 02:03:23 AM

Author Topic: Canon 85mm f1.4L IS USM First Impressions and images...  (Read 7918 times)

Larsskv

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Enthusiast with Canon related GAS
Re: Canon 85mm f1.4L IS USM First Impressions and images...
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
Only had a few free minutes to take photos today but below is a video showing some quick casual real life comparison photos with my new Canon 85 and the my Sigma 85. Hope it is helpful for anyone trying to decide!

https://youtu.be/3-6tLgTA2cQ

That was a great a great video. The rendering from both lenses are so similar it's an easy choice for me.

Canon CPS coverage, image stabilization, smaller size/weight, with first party autofocus and no need to recalibrate. All at the expense of a little additional chromatic aberration?

Yes. I loved the Sigma 85 Art, but after 3 days testing them side-by-side, I sold the Sigma last Friday. I'm in love with this lens and it complements my 135L nicely.

+1. Great video. The images from the two lenses seems to be very equal in both sharpness and bokeh. Size, weight, IS and first party AF will be the deciding factor for most of us, I think. Interesting to see the green tint produced by the Sigma lens. I preferred the Canon in that regard.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »
Only had a few free minutes to take photos today but below is a video showing some quick casual real life comparison photos with my new Canon 85 and the my Sigma 85. Hope it is helpful for anyone trying to decide!

That was a great a great video. The rendering from both lenses are so similar it's an easy choice for me.

Canon CPS coverage, image stabilization, smaller size/weight, with first party autofocus and no need to recalibrate. All at the expense of a little additional chromatic aberration?

Yes. I loved the Sigma 85 Art, but after 3 days testing them side-by-side, I sold the Sigma last Friday. I'm in love with this lens and it complements my 135L nicely.

+1. Great video. The images from the two lenses seems to be very equal in both sharpness and bokeh. Size, weight, IS and first party AF will be the deciding factor for most of us, I think. Interesting to see the green tint produced by the Sigma lens. I preferred the Canon in that regard.

+1, And I still think the Sigma lenses look "sticker on background" while the Canon has more 3d pop. I looks like the Sigma has a very steep focus fall off and that might be it. But I see the same in my images from the 85, things really do pop, reminds my of the Zeiss 100 f2 classic with less bit less fringing.

If its the LoCa that makes it so smooth and makes the subject pop, then I'll take that over sharpness any day...
1dx mkII, 35 L II, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

Shane1.4

• EOS Rebel 300D
    • Shane Long Photography
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »
You guys. This lens is incredible. Today we are having an early Thanksgiving/Christmas with my family that can't get together later. The bokeh is amazing!
5D Mark IV, 135L, 85 1.4 IS, Sigma 50 1.4 Art, 35L 1.4 II, 17-40L
www.shanelongphotography.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »
Nice images!  I see the bokeh balls still have the same mirror box cut off of the 85/1.2L II. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Larsskv

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Enthusiast with Canon related GAS
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2017, 05:22:24 PM »

+1, And I still think the Sigma lenses look "sticker on background" while the Canon has more 3d pop. I looks like the Sigma has a very steep focus fall off and that might be it. But I see the same in my images from the 85, things really do pop, reminds my of the Zeiss 100 f2 classic with less bit less fringing.

If its the LoCa that makes it so smooth and makes the subject pop, then I'll take that over sharpness any day...

Interesting about your opinion on the sticker effect, that we have discussed earlier regarding the 50 ART. To my eyes, the 85 ART seems better in that regard than my impression on the 35 and 50 ART lenses. I think it is difficult to back such a claim based on the video. The pictures aren’t viewed in a large size, and I must admit that I do like the look of the pictures coming from Sigma 85 ART. That said, I also slightly prefer the look in the Canon images, and might agree that some of them have a slightly better 3D rendering. At the same time, I cannot rule out my Canon bias counting in.   ???

I can feel the GAS, and might give in to it if I can get a good deal on a Black Friday offer...

Click

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2017, 05:38:33 PM »
You guys. This lens is incredible. Today we are having an early Thanksgiving/Christmas with my family that can't get together later. The bokeh is amazing!

Beautiful pictures.  :)  I love the bokeh.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »

Beautiful pictures.  :)  I love the bokeh.

Nothing beats kids + xmas tree lights.  Gold, nice work.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »

Act444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2017, 10:29:13 PM »

Thanks for sharing, nice shots. Just curious, what was the aperture setting on pic #2 (the full-body portrait)?

I like what I've seen so far, so going to pull the trigger on this one.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2017, 11:17:11 PM »

I just ordered one.  I'm leaving for Germany/Switzerland on Sunday, and my new lens will be waiting for me when I return. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Viggo

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2017, 07:06:47 AM »

I just ordered one.  I'm leaving for Germany/Switzerland on Sunday, and my new lens will be waiting for me when I return.

Congrats! I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. I’ve already used in heavy rain and snow at ridiculously low shutters, so the weather sealing and IS already have become invaluable to me.

mrmarks

• EOS M5
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2017, 08:37:07 AM »

Shane, you are such a lucky guy! And I am not referring to your 85 1.4  ;). You have such a beautiful family!

On the bokeh balls, I notice that there are concentric circles in some of them. Just wondering if the circles will similarly show up if the same shot was taken with the 85 1.2 at the same aperture?

Shane1.4

• EOS Rebel 300D
    • Shane Long Photography
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2017, 04:20:52 PM »
Thanks everyone! All the photos were taken at f1.4. I too see the same mirror box clipping like on the 85 1.2 which is a little frustrating but oh well. Here are a few more from the weekend of my brother-in-law and his wife. I know 85 is used a lot for head shots, but I actually really like it for full body photos.  Such a fantastic lens. 
5D Mark IV, 135L, 85 1.4 IS, Sigma 50 1.4 Art, 35L 1.4 II, 17-40L
www.shanelongphotography.com

Act444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2017, 01:25:27 AM »
I know 85 is used a lot for head shots, but I actually really like it for full body photos.

Yeah, I've used the 100 Macro similarly with stunning results. 100mm f/2.8 is that perfect (IMO) balance between strong subject/background separation and adequate DOF to get enough of the face/body in focus whether it's a headshot or full body shot. Think I will continue to use it...The only problem is the working distance required to get that full-body shot...pretty much need to be outdoors or in a really large room.

The 85 has its place too. The 1.4 I'm hoping will be nice in darker (read:indoor) venues along with a little less space required to work.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2017, 01:25:27 AM »

Viggo

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2017, 07:56:50 AM »
So far I've only used this lens in rain and snow, lol. But it's all good since I've been waiting maaaany years for a weather sealed 85  ;D

1dx2+85 IS at f1.4, iso 200, 1/1000s

ethanz

• EOS 80D
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 01:01:27 AM »

"Dad, are you really down in the rocks taking a picture of me..."
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 01:01:27 AM »