December 16, 2017, 12:09:20 PM

Author Topic: Canon 85mm f1.4L IS USM First Impressions and images...  (Read 8251 times)

JoFT

• EOS M5
  • I do love photography
    • Delight-Photo
Canon 85mm f1.4L IS USM First Impressions and images...
« on: November 17, 2017, 02:07:40 PM »
Today I got my new 85mm f1.4 L IS USM. I made some first sample shots - and I am blown away by this lens. It is really sharp wide open. I could not find any CA. The Bokeh is just wonderful: smooth like butter - and no onion type stuff. IS works well...

What do I want more?

I will prepare a detailed comparison between the Canon EF 85mm f1.4L with the Zeiss Milvus 85mm f1.4 and the Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art I hope to have this comparison ready within the next few days...

Meanwhile have a quick look to my blog: [size=78%]http://bit.ly/2zKesGi[/size]

It will be interesting to get your feeling about this lens
Canon: 4  single-digit-Bodies/14 Lenses;
µ43: 4 Bodies, 9 lenses; 10 Speedlite mainly Yongnuo

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 85mm f1.4L IS USM First Impressions and images...
« on: November 17, 2017, 02:07:40 PM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Canon 85mm f1.4L IS USM First Impressions and images...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 02:30:57 PM »
Thanks for posting! I think it looks great too!

Looks like mine won’t be here until Monday so really enjoy all new info ;D
1dx mkII, 35 L II, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

scottkinfw

• EOS 5DS R
  • Wildlife photography is my passion
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 04:02:52 PM »
Beautiful pics and bokeh is magnificent.  When you do your comparisons, please put all settings under the images.  The shallow depth of field really brings the eyes into focus and draws me into the pics.
Thank you so much.
sek
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II.  Lenses    24-70 2.8L II IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8.   Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT, 580 EX II.
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 05:05:49 PM »
Wow! Very nice for sure. This should stop a lot of the negative speculation coming from the Sigma crowd. Thanks for posting. I don't have a 85mm prime, but maybe I will decide to get this one. Very nice!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:43:03 PM by CanonFanBoy »
5D Mark III, Canon A-1, Voigtlander Vito, Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC, 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Helios 58 f/2 (x3), Canon FD 50 f/1.8, 600EX-RT (x7), Streaklight 360ws. Jumping ship to SoNikon any day now.

Boyer U. Klum-Cey

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 06:51:56 PM »
Very nice body of work.  I'm convinced!
All theories are wrong, but some are useful, eh?

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 10:52:46 PM »
JoFT,

thanks for sharing your experience . the sample images are quite small. would you be able to share unedited RAW file of the Milvus lens (mount up) shot and the next one with credit card, please?

notice how the "CE" lettering has a purple fringe to it and distance scale turns slowly green going into the bokeh area. it is not that bad, of course, just not evident in these samples. in the example with credit card focus is not on text area hence it is not obvious again.
rendition is definitely nice.
you may consider AFMA your lens. it seems consistently front focusing for you. Not being critical of your work, just a technical point you may consider.

CanonFanBoy

...This should stop a lot of the negative speculation coming from the Sigma crowd.

just a couple of observations if I may:

1. before you wack a label "Sigma crowd" on someone, take a moment to consider that I am 95% Canon in terms of number of lenses in my bag and 100% Canon camera bodies. Dustin Abbott is a strong Tamron supported. why wouldn't you call him a "Tamron Crowd" then? think about it.
2. what you call speculations is evident for those that know where to look and what to look for. if you would like a detailed professional opinion on CA levels in the images provided I am happy to point problematic areas for you out and also provide my opinion on other features present in the samples. Happy to send you a personal message but would be hesitant to comment on forum pages for obvious ethical reasons.

Disclaimer: I have no skin in this Canon vs Sigma game. I consider this lens to be a solid performer but not a spectacular one. it will be evident at the time when professional reviewers will come out pointing to the same problematic areas that are evident in all the sample images I have encountered so far.

Today I got my new 85mm f1.4 L IS USM. I made some first sample shots - and I am blown away by this lens. It is really sharp wide open. I could not find any CA. The Bokeh is just wonderful: smooth like butter - and no onion type stuff. IS works well...

What do I want more?

I will prepare a detailed comparison between the Canon EF 85mm f1.4L with the Zeiss Milvus 85mm f1.4 and the Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art I hope to have this comparison ready within the next few days...

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:19:48 AM by SecureGSM »

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 03:45:54 PM »
What would you suggest I call the crowd that insists the Sigma line is so awesome AF wise when there are so many having so many problems with the AF? I call them Sigma fans, Sigma crowd, etc. There is nothing at all insulting about that. If you think so, then maybe you should take a chill pill. There's the Canon crowd too. I am a part of that crowd and the Tamron 15-30 crowd. I own the Tamron and MY COPY is a fine lens.

I enjoy Dustin's reviews because I perceive him to be very honest and unbiased. Dustin is a fine man and one never reads him participating in the back and forth flaming so many of us participate in here. In fact, his review of the Tamron 15-30 is what convinced me to buy it. You shouldn't be dropping other people's names and dragging it through the mud behind you.

I also own 3 Russian Helios lenses. I'm part of the Helios crowd too.

So, if you don't like me calling people who like the Sigma line the Sigma crowd... that's just tough biscuits for you. The fact that you got bent about that puts you in a special crowd of your own. It ain't about you, dude. Want to be the thought police? Go right ahead. Just leave me out of it. My post was not directed at you personally, so just stop it. I'll "wack a label" on anything I want. Don't like it? Tough.

Sigma fanboy much? I admit I'm a Canonfanboy right from the start. Like you said in a recent post (paraphrase), "It is amazing that having an opinion different..." Get over yourself.

I don't appreciate being labeled a label wacker either.  ::) ::) (extreme don't care at all.) See how that works? Think about it.

You also say in another post, "How accurate do you need AF to be?" Easy answer. At least as accurate as Canon. If I buy a lens with AF it better darn well work whether I need it or not.

One more thing: You say you are 95% Canon lenses in your bag and 100% Canon bodies. What is your point with that?  I own 2 Canon bodies and 1 Voightlander. I'm 66.66% Canon there. I own 1 Tamron SP 15-30, 5 Canon L lenses (6 if I count my 2X III), 3 Helios MF lenses I use on my 5D Mark III, and a Voightlander MF lens for my Voightlander body. So I'm barely over 50% Canon in the lens department. Is your point that you are staunchly in Canon's corner? Are you a bigger fanboy? I don't see how what you have in your bag makes a difference about one single thing. Fanboy is a state of mind.

JoFT,

thanks for sharing your experience . the sample images are quite small. would you be able to share unedited RAW file of the Milvus lens (mount up) shot and the next one with credit card, please?

notice how the "CE" lettering has a purple fringe to it and distance scale turns slowly green going into the bokeh area. it is not that bad, of course, just not evident in these samples. in the example with credit card focus is not on text area hence it is not obvious again.
you may consider AFMA your lens. it seems consistently front focusing for you. Not being critical of your work, just a technical point you may consider.

CanonFanBoy

...This should stop a lot of the negative speculation coming from the Sigma crowd.

1. before you wack a label "Sigma crowd" on someone, take a moment to consider that I am 95% Canon in terms of number of lenses in my bag and 100% Canon camera bodies. Dustin Abbott is a strong Tamron supported. why wouldn't you call him a "Tamron Crowd" then? think about it.
2. what you call speculations is evident for those that know where to look and what to look for. if you would like a detailed professional opinion on CA levels in the images provided I am happy to point problematic areas for you out and also provide my opinion on other features present in the samples. Happy to send you a personal message but would be hesitant to comment on forum pages for obvious ethical reasons.

Disclaimer: I have no skin in this Canon vs Sigma game. I consider this lens to be a solid performer but not a spectacular one. it will be evident at the time when professional reviewers will come out pointing to the same problematic areas that are evident in all the sample images I have encountered so far.

What do I want more?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:40:32 AM by CanonFanBoy »
5D Mark III, Canon A-1, Voigtlander Vito, Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC, 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Helios 58 f/2 (x3), Canon FD 50 f/1.8, 600EX-RT (x7), Streaklight 360ws. Jumping ship to SoNikon any day now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 03:45:54 PM »

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 04:38:47 PM »
Non IS primes this FL are now paperweights!

LSXPhotog

• EOS M5
    • Kevin DiOssi Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 08:14:26 PM »
Please dont’ talk about the Sigma autofocus again. They don’t work. End of story. LOL

Beautiful lenses that are well built, but they can’t be depended on for their autofocus like a Canon lens.

Sold my 85mm Art on Friday. The new Canon is a winner.
- Kevin
1DX Mk II/5D Mk IV/SL2/M5 - 5x Flashpoint XPLOR 600s
Primes: EF 40mm f/2.8| Sigma 50 Art | Canon 85mm f/1.4L | EF 100L Macro | EF 135L | Zooms: EF 16-35 f2.8L III | EF 24-70mm II f/2.8L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L

JoFT

• EOS M5
  • I do love photography
    • Delight-Photo
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »
Please dont’ talk about the Sigma autofocus again. They don’t work. End of story. LOL

Beautiful lenses that are well built, but they can’t be depended on for their autofocus like a Canon lens.

Congrats. You'll gain a smaller lens with less weight and size, IS ans weather sealing....

It will be hard 2 weeks until I will get the Sigma for comparison... But I will make the comparison fair...

JoFT

• EOS M5
  • I do love photography
    • Delight-Photo
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 09:41:36 AM »
JoFT,

CanonFanBoy

What do I want more?

thank for your comments... I do have "larger" files linked in my summary. Unfortunetely Zenfolio askes for money for uploading raw files... And they get enough for the rest....

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 10:13:19 AM »

+1 

That's telling those Sigma fanboys/girls!

JoFT

• EOS M5
  • I do love photography
    • Delight-Photo
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 02:15:16 AM »
I thought I should add some images to illustrate the amazing quality of this lens... All these images were taken @ f1.4 on the EOS M5...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 02:15:16 AM »

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 10:20:53 PM »
I thought I should add some images to illustrate the amazing quality of this lens... All these images were taken @ f1.4 on the EOS M5...

Thanks JoFT :) I'm already lining up things to sell so I can get this thanks to your shots and opinion. Seriously. Going to sell all 7 of my 600EX-RT flash asap. I use a flashpoint streaklight for flash now. Hardly used the Canons as I almost always shoot outdoors. Might keep 1 or 2. I don't kniow. A lens would be better to have for me. Think I've decided to get the 135 f/2 IS when it comes also. Thanks for the posts. :D

JoFT

• EOS M5
  • I do love photography
    • Delight-Photo
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 05:48:58 AM »

Thanks JoFT :) I'm already lining up things to sell so I can get this thanks to your shots and opinion. Seriously. Going to sell all 7 of my 600EX-RT flash asap. I use a flashpoint streaklight for flash now. Hardly used the Canons as I almost always shoot outdoors. Might keep 1 or 2. I don't kniow. A lens would be better to have for me. Think I've decided to get the 135 f/2 IS when it comes also. Thanks for the posts. :D

Thx for commenting...

Flashwise I do have studio flashes and just one 430 RT with the Remote controller. But for mobile work the Yongnuo works well, too..

The 135 will be awesome, too. But my philosophy is a bit difference. My lens lineup is 15/35/85/200 and than a Fullframe and an APS-C Body... than i have 22/55/135/32 as equivalent.... ;-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 05:48:58 AM »