October 23, 2014, 05:33:34 PM

Author Topic: No 7D Mark II? [CR1]  (Read 40584 times)

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
Re: No 7D Mark II? [CR1]
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »
This is CR0. The 7D was made precisely as the first model to go head-to-head with the Nikon equivalent, previously their models were slotted in between the other brand's models. Leaving that price segment to the D300 successor doesn't make marketing sense. If anything, it's the 60D line that needs to be revamped or eliminated, since it is silly to have 3 Rebel-class croppers (xxxxD/xxxD/xxD) in the lineup (if we go by the conventional wisdom that the 60D is indeed nothing more than a "super Rebel").
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2012, 07:58:58 AM »
This is CR0. The 7D was made precisely as the first model to go head-to-head with the Nikon equivalent, previously their models were slotted in between the other brand's models. Leaving that price segment to the D300 successor doesn't make marketing sense. If anything, it's the 60D line that needs to be revamped or eliminated, since it is silly to have 3 Rebel-class croppers (xxxxD/xxxD/xxD) in the lineup (if we go by the conventional wisdom that the 60D is indeed nothing more than a "super Rebel").

They maybe found out that xD should be preserved for FF bodies only? So they would degrade all line down making 7d successor someting like 70d? But wait a second, what will they do if after 90d there's no place for next model? 91d, 90d mark2? :)
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

smirkypants

« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »
Given the way the 7D has stomped the D300 and the D300s, you have got to think that Nikon will be coming full bore with with D400 just the way they came with guns blazing on the D800. I'm really curious to see what they offer. I'm betting it will be good so Canon you know has to plan a good response.

Credibility I give to this CR1 rumor? Probability <1%.

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »
Given the way the 7D has stomped the D300 and the D300s, you have got to think that Nikon will be coming full bore with with D400 just the way they came with guns blazing on the D800. I'm really curious to see what they offer. I'm betting it will be good so Canon you know has to plan a good response.

Credibility I give to this CR1 rumor? Probability <1%.

exactly the way I see it too! Really hope the D400 will come and be excellent, so Canon won't get by with a minimalist small upgrade to the 7D.

CatfishSoupFTW

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
oh man oh man.. if they do a 5DX and 5DmrkIII to replace the 7D? there are so many speculations i just dont know. i cannot wait for this year!!! I MUST BUY A NEW DSLR !
5DmrkII, 40D, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.8, 17-85, 70-300

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »
My two cents on this. The 7D is really a little bit odd; if one digit (xD) canons are for the pros, then the 7D was a bit weak. On the other hand there are are 3 consumer bodies (xxxxD, xxxD, xxD). This lineup somehow makes sense, just that the 7D is not really pro-grade.

This is how I see the future lineup from Canon: The 1Dx is for sport and wildlife shooters (high speed with 12fps, high ISO up to 200k). Then there will be the 5DmkIII, it looks at the moment that it won't compete with the D800, but I can see where it could be placed. the 5D will be for photojournalists who also like to make movies. The 5D is smaller more mobile package then the 1D, emphasis will be on good high ISO (low light ability, and video)
But there is somethin missing in the pro sector, and this is the landscape shooters. And here could the often rumored 3D fit in, which will be aimed at the D800. A camera with high resolution (40+MP) but a slower speed.

With these 3 pro bodies, there is no room for a 7D, so the xxD will move up a little (to where the 50D was). The difference between a 600D and 60D is quite narrow at the moment, and I think it makes sense to widen this gap.

Conclusion: 3 consumer bodies (entry, standard, advanced) and 3 pro bodies (Action, Landscape, Photojournalist) from canon, this would be a nice and logic lineup.

Why do you think the 1Dx would work for wildlife shooters?
What is truth?

briansquibb

« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2012, 03:22:37 PM »
Why do you think the 1Dx would work for wildlife shooters?

Depends on the size of the wildlife surely?

Large wildife would be fantastic

Loss of crop is one reason why the 1D4 was popular with BIF shooters and why they howled at the 1DX as a replacement

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2012, 03:22:37 PM »

Michael7

« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »
The 7D is a great camera in which Canon made one, horrible mistake: 18mp in a crop sensor.  Too much.  I'd love to see the 70D or 7D II with dual SD/CF, same build, micro adjust at both ends of the lens, and a 14mp or 12mp sensor. I'm just not getting the same sharpness I got from my 40D and 50D when it comes to wildlife. The pixel level IQ is "off", IHMO. I shoot RAW, and I have no interest in jpeg wizardry at high ISO's. That is meaningless. We need to see real improvement from unprocessed RAWS at ISO 100.

smirkypants

« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2012, 09:53:54 AM »
The 7D is a great camera in which Canon made one, horrible mistake: 18mp in a crop sensor.  Too much.  I'd love to see the 70D or 7D II with dual SD/CF, same build, micro adjust at both ends of the lens, and a 14mp or 12mp sensor. I'm just not getting the same sharpness I got from my 40D and 50D when it comes to wildlife. The pixel level IQ is "off", IHMO. I shoot RAW, and I have no interest in jpeg wizardry at high ISO's. That is meaningless. We need to see real improvement from unprocessed RAWS at ISO 100.
The 7D sensor is ancient. The 7D2's sensor will be to the 7D what the 5D3's sensor is to the 5D2's. It's will be a massive improvement in dynamic range, noise and perceived sharpness as well.

Sensor tech is moving quickly. Sigma's Foveon X3 sensor is built with layers representing red, green and blue. You could have a cropped sensor collecting three times as much information and destroying the limitations of current sensors and certainly the abilities of your 40D.

Cornell

« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »
Clearly the 60D is priced too closely to the T3i. Over the years, Canon has effectively narrowed the price range between the xxD and the Digital Rebel. When I bought my 20D, the price of the 20D was $600 (US) more than the Rebel XT. There is now only a $150 (US) difference between the 60D and the Rebel T3i. As pointed out by the article “No 7D Mark II”, the 60D is now viewed as a Super Rebel.

In order for the 70D to move up, it would need to have enough advantages over the top-of-the-line Digital-Rebel to set it apart. This would be expected to result in an increase in price, of course. So far, so good.

The question is whether eliminating 7D and having the 70D being in the previous xxD niche – now occupied by the 7D – would be a help or a hindrance; that is, whether a higher-priced xxD would be considered to be a top-of-the line DSLR or an overpriced Super Rebel. If it’s the latter, the xxDs could wind up being viewed as another Edsel. (For the uninitiated, the Edsel was a very good car; but, consumers viewed it as overpriced and did not buy it in sufficient numbers, thereby causing the Ford to close down the line after 3 years.) It might be better for Canon to eliminate the top-of-the line Digital Rebel so that there would be more of a price spread between the Digital Rebel and the xxD. This would return the Digital Rebel to it original purpose as a consumer / entry-level DSLR, thereby emphasizing the difference between the Digital Rebel and the xxD.

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 26, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »

A lot of this makes lsense.  However who apart from you sees unprocessed RAW?  They have to be processed to be used.  Pixel Peeping is another thing that makes me go "uh?!!!" .  The best camera is always the one that gets you the best final image from the appropriate media at the appropriate viewing distance.  The ingredients have to be right of course, but to get a camera at a certain pricepoint to make it commercially viable, compromises have to be made.  If Canon said to the market:  We're going to make the new 70D a 10 megapixel camera, but those megapixel are gonna be great" the market would laugh tem out of the room.  It might be ideal for you, but it would be marketing suicide

GeorgieGirl

« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2012, 08:46:58 PM »
The 7D is an amazing camera as it is. When going to its MP count it takes patience as it is less forgiving and forces you to do better. Period.

Topping the 7D has just occurred with the 5D Mark III as its FF companion...IMHO.

I am in heaven and will never need another body as long as I have these two far as I can tell.

What I am ready for are those lens specs like the new 24-70II with the cramped side by side straight across black and blue line pairs. Lenses like that will keep me buying new for a long time.

marcust

« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2012, 09:14:49 PM »
Any replacement for the 7D is going to add around 1K to the price. Me thinks that is canon's real goal here with these new bodies. Seperate the pro models from the entry/consumer models.
The Rebel line will never go away, it put Canon on top of the DSLR market. BUT,
They dont want to see a repeat of what happened with the 7D, getting in the hands of people that didnt know the difference between focal lenght or f-stop. (mines soft, mines broke, mines blah,blah,blah.) I'm sure there is a new 1.6 cropper coming, but it wont be for the casual person, hence the price point in the high two grand range, maybe a tad over three K. Whatever model number they put on it, I'm sure it will be a worthy successor to the 7D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2012, 09:14:49 PM »

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2012, 04:00:22 AM »
For all those 7D fanboys who got all up in my grill earlier in this thread because I said the 7D noise is horrible compared to the 5DII (and then made themselves feel better by -rep'ing me), I wasn't talking out my backside.

You can clearly see here:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-DSLR-Camera-Review.aspx

Click on the ISO100's and you'll see the difference. That the 7D has quite a fair bit of noise, even at base ISO100.  Look at all those grey areas - they all look pretty grainy to me. No click on 5DMarkII - much cleaner. That was readily apparent to me in real world tests with the naked eye, well before I saw this link.

Seriously - being objective and telling a 7D owner that their image sensor is inferior to a full frame is like telling a religious zealot in a strange cult that their God doesn't exist. Some people seriously need to get over themselves and realize it's just a camera, and not an extension of their ego.

If there is a 7D mark II, then hopefully they take a leaf out of the D800's book - Nikon managed to do some really good work at high pixel densities, with a lot less noise than that at base ISO.

takoman46

« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2012, 05:10:45 AM »
For all those 7D fanboys who got all up in my grill earlier in this thread because I said the 7D noise is horrible compared to the 5DII (and then made themselves feel better by -rep'ing me), I wasn't talking out my backside.

You can clearly see here:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-DSLR-Camera-Review.aspx

Click on the ISO100's and you'll see the difference. That the 7D has quite a fair bit of noise, even at base ISO100.  Look at all those grey areas - they all look pretty grainy to me. No click on 5DMarkII - much cleaner. That was readily apparent to me in real world tests with the naked eye, well before I saw this link.

Seriously - being objective and telling a 7D owner that their image sensor is inferior to a full frame is like telling a religious zealot in a strange cult that their God doesn't exist. Some people seriously need to get over themselves and realize it's just a camera, and not an extension of their ego.

If there is a 7D mark II, then hopefully they take a leaf out of the D800's book - Nikon managed to do some really good work at high pixel densities, with a lot less noise than that at base ISO.

Don't take it personally, fanboys will be fanboys. Also, don't worry I'd bet that everyone who gave you grief over a previous comment about the 7D vs. 5DmkII has probably never used a 5DmkII lol. I had a 7D and sold it because it couldn't hang with the IQ and ISO performance of my 5DmkII. The only thing the 7D had was a better AF system and faster continuous shooting. So yes, I agree with you completely that the 5DmkII was an older camera than the 7D but still smoked the 7D when it came to producing professional images.  Don't get me wrong, the 7D could produce acceptable images for professional applications; but it wasn't better than a 5DmkII  ;).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2012, 05:10:45 AM »