December 20, 2014, 02:37:58 AM

Author Topic: No 7D Mark II? [CR1]  (Read 42144 times)

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: No 7D Mark II? [CR1]
« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »
I don't think so b/c the sensor would still be APC in my scenario and besides many of the features on this ff cameras will migrate down even to the Rebels. Why not start with the next level down camera. Those that want ff will not compromise but I am more interested in keeping the reach I have but adding especially better low light and IQ performance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »
There is plenty of pricing and design room for a 7D Mark II. It would stay as the top prosumer camera. There are features that would make it attractive for action shooters that could be added w/out damaging any of the DSLR line: better low light performance (less noise), improved IQ, 61 AF metering system, match the 5D Mark III video, and a faster focusing system. I would be queued up right away at $1,600.

That sounds like way too many features to fit a $1600 price point. I think if they were to make a detuned aps-c version of the 5DmkIII it would have to be at least $2500. Also, with all those features and a $1600 price tag, don't you think that would hurt sales of 5DmkIII's and even 1DX's? There would be a ton of people choosing the 7D over a 5 or 1 series because they believe it's the better bang for your buck.

$1,600 is probably too aggressive, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something around $1,800-$2,000. Not necessarily with quite those specs, but some incremental improvements over the current model with most of the emphasis placed on sensor improvements.

As far as hurting sales of the 5DIII or 1Dx, Canon doesn't seem to be overly concerned about cutting into sales of one model with another. They would have never released the 5DIII with the features it has if they were worried about protecting the 1Dx.  And, look at the clustering of Rebels and the 60D – barely any differentiation between those models.

In the current competitive marketplace, making sure they have an model that can retain existing customers and draw new customers from other brands seems to be taking precedence over protecting one model over another.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

smirkypants

« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »
Mentioned this elsewhere but it belongs more here. Remember, the DX mode of the D800 is a 16MP 1.5 crop mode, and by all accounts the image quality is pretty good. If we can get that in a 7D2 I know I'd be pretty happy... if it could do 8FPS and bump up the MP to 18.

It does seem the winds of change are running against crop sensors now, though...

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2012, 05:33:27 PM »
That sounds like way too many features to fit a $1600 price point. I think if they were to make a detuned aps-c version of the 5DmkIII it would have to be at least $2500. Also, with all those features and a $1600 price tag, don't you think that would hurt sales of 5DmkIII's and even 1DX's?

If the s* hits the fan with Nikon and Sony full frame competition, Canon might do unexpected things to keep people on their platform, continue to have large production quantities that dampen costs and keep selling lenses and other equipment. They can sell a budget ff body and then make money selling the 24-70ii and the 600rt... and looking at Canon's business results, there seems to be some air left in their current price tags.

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2012, 05:58:44 PM »
That sounds like way too many features to fit a $1600 price point. I think if they were to make a detuned aps-c version of the 5DmkIII it would have to be at least $2500. Also, with all those features and a $1600 price tag, don't you think that would hurt sales of 5DmkIII's and even 1DX's?

If the s* hits the fan with Nikon and Sony full frame competition, Canon might do unexpected things to keep people on their platform, continue to have large production quantities that dampen costs and keep selling lenses and other equipment. They can sell a budget ff body and then make money selling the 24-70ii and the 600rt... and looking at Canon's business results, there seems to be some air left in their current price tags.

With the price increase of the 5d3 and the lowering in price of the 5d2, I could see a 7d2 coming in around 1800-2000... Nikon isn't going to stop producing the D300-400 line/series/whatever and Canon will have to compete for this market of customers... I could see them doing a 19-20MP sensor... clean ISO's through 3200-6400 maybe expanded up to 25k-52k.  HDR, refined AF, new video compression, heck maybe even an innovative new feature or two... see how it fairs... articulated magnesium screen?  Canon isn't about losing model classes or revenue by just having an xxd camera series and a $3500 5d3. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »
Mentioned this elsewhere but it belongs more here. Remember, the DX mode of the D800 is a 16MP 1.5 crop mode, and by all accounts the image quality is pretty good. If we can get that in a 7D2 I know I'd be pretty happy... if it could do 8FPS and bump up the MP to 18.

It does seem the winds of change are running against crop sensors now, though...

I think crop sensors will be around for quite some time.

Convergence is happening of course – The incremental quality between full frame and APS-C is narrowing and I suspect that the incremental cost of producing APS-C and full frame is also narrowing. Still, there remains a difference and there probably will be one for quite some time. For the foreseeable future, I imagine it will remain cheaper to produce an APS-C sensor and the quality of the full frame sensor will continue to be slightly better. Just a matter of degrees.

In addition, I think the crop advantages of the APS-C sensor will remain hard to replicate in a full frame for quite some time. Cropping from a full frame is a compromise and at this point, not a very convenient one. There is no reason why the two cameras won't continue to co-exist for quite some time. Indeed, from the manufacturers' standpoint, they probably prefer to have both formats.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

marcust

« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »
No video
No pop up flash
Dual card slots
Improve ISO noise
Increase shutter high speed to the high teens, low twenty's
Keep the MP count around 16 or 18
Eliminate the green box, Av,Tv,M,C1,C2,C3 only
Street price 3 k..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2012, 09:00:41 PM »
i just dont see it..
 here's how i see the future canon lineup

1DX
5DmkIII
maybe a cheaper full frame   <-- or just the 5DII ... until the 5DmkIII price starts dropping
70D
Rebel

My thoughts exactly.

A mirrorless camera is a posibility too.

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »
I am szure there will be a 7D II ... and it will be a Canon-typical evolutionary, small step.

* APS-C, crop 1,6x - what else ... they still want to sell their higher end EF-S lenses, those are not puirhcased by typical rebel owners!
* new sensor, 21 MP and +1 stop better IQ in higher ISOs, hopefully also at base ISO 100
* same 8 fps .. plenty enough, if faster is required -> go buy 1D X !
* 61 point AF and metering module (as in 5D III =  not as good as in 1D X)
* 2x DiGIC V .. .also needed for video crap
* fully articulated display
* dual card slots CF + SD
* same pop-up flash, including master trigger capability
* will work with new radio flash technology (like 5D III and 1D X .. so without 1 stop loss in X-sync, etc.]
* improved Auto ISO plus other firmware stuff
* MSRP USD 1899 / EURO 1999

and no 70D ... place taken over by better Rebel/650D

briansquibb

« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »

At 3.5 fps? - hardly likely as that would also mean the end of the xxD line

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2012, 04:18:31 PM »
At 3.5 fps? - hardly likely as that would also mean the end of the xxD line

actually, I don't care, what they call the 7D successor ... 7D II or 70D ... as long as it has all the 7D features (incl. weatherseals) plus the new specs I mentioned above.   

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2012, 05:26:07 PM »
I am szure there will be a 7D II ... and it will be a Canon-typical evolutionary, small step.

* APS-C, crop 1,6x - what else ... they still want to sell their higher end EF-S lenses, those are not puirhcased by typical rebel owners!
* new sensor, 21 MP and +1 stop better IQ in higher ISOs, hopefully also at base ISO 100
* same 8 fps .. plenty enough, if faster is required -> go buy 1D X !
* 61 point AF and metering module (as in 5D III =  not as good as in 1D X)
* 2x DiGIC V .. .also needed for video crap
* fully articulated display
* dual card slots CF + SD
* same pop-up flash, including master trigger capability
* will work with new radio flash technology (like 5D III and 1D X .. so without 1 stop loss in X-sync, etc.]
* improved Auto ISO plus other firmware stuff
* MSRP USD 1899 / EURO 1999

Agree except 21MP. I'd rather see same 18MP but +1, 1.5 ISO step.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »
I'm sure there will be a another xxd if there is a xxxd update - seems more likely they reserve the xd line for full frame and drop the 7d2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »