April 23, 2018, 10:20:26 AM

Author Topic: Large umbrella durability.  (Read 4977 times)

geekpower

• EOS M5
Re: Large umbrella durability.
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 11:47:57 PM »
late to the party, but as others have implied, a larger diameter hollow tube is stronger than a smaller diameter solid bar, of the same mass, because leverage.  not sure what diameter tube you have, or how big your clamps are, but an over tube would definitely be more helpful than an inner bar, if your clamp can handle it.  even a tight wrap of kevlar tape could help.  remember that the difference between a tube bending and folding is the sides blowing out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 11:47:57 PM »

Talys

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 01:32:17 AM »
@CanonFanBoy - I know exactly what you mean.  I own a 7' umbrella, and I love it, though it is often too awkward for me.  I often use a 48" umbrella or a 60" rear-illuminated bowens mount softbox (like an octa) instead.

Most of the time when I'm using the 7' umbrella, the shaft is parallel to the ground.  In this case, an easy work-around is to use another light stand behind, with a Magic Arm (articulating joint + clamp) propping up the back and releiving it of any stress.

Another possibility is to use a large clamp to hold the umbrella, like the one pictured at the end of the boom here:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Adjustable-Reflector-Photography-Monolight/dp/B01GUQUBEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523596294&sr=8-1&keywords=cstand

The reason being, this holds the shaft solidly over a wide clamp that is a few inches in size, instead of gripping it by a small (tiny) surface area as with a strobe or umbrella/flash holder.

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • I like cheap wine and even cheaper women.
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 02:23:39 AM »
@CanonFanBoy - I know exactly what you mean.  I own a 7' umbrella, and I love it, though it is often too awkward for me.  I often use a 48" umbrella or a 60" rear-illuminated bowens mount softbox (like an octa) instead.

Most of the time when I'm using the 7' umbrella, the shaft is parallel to the ground.  In this case, an easy work-around is to use another light stand behind, with a Magic Arm (articulating joint + clamp) propping up the back and releiving it of any stress.

Another possibility is to use a large clamp to hold the umbrella, like the one pictured at the end of the boom here:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Adjustable-Reflector-Photography-Monolight/dp/B01GUQUBEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523596294&sr=8-1&keywords=cstand

The reason being, this holds the shaft solidly over a wide clamp that is a few inches in size, instead of gripping it by a small (tiny) surface area as with a strobe or umbrella/flash holder.

Great idea Talys. Thanks!
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 17x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 02:23:39 AM »