November 21, 2014, 03:47:26 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III/X Information [CR1]  (Read 52379 times)

DBCdp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III/X Information [CR1]
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2012, 10:55:39 PM »
Wow! The arguments that go on and on comparing the 7D to the 5D MkII. I owned the 5D, 7D, and 5D MkII at the same time. Used all 3 in weddings. The 5D Classic had cleaner images than the 7D right up to 1600 ISO. The 7D simply does not compare in image quality to the 5's, either of them. Which is why I will be passing my 7D on and getting either another 5D MkII or the new 5D? in the next week, announced or not.

I just looked at hundreds of pictures today, thinking new glass might be my best bet, and the final result of that is that the 7 just simply doesn't take the clarity of pictures I've come to expect from the full frame cameras. Period. And of course, that's my opinion based on the camera bodies I had in my hands, so anyone else's experience may differ from mine. But even at sporting events in broad daylight, the images from the 7 just didn't have that crystal clear you-were-there look to them that has become my standard.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2012, 10:55:39 PM »

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2012, 11:33:20 PM »
All the sample pics I've just posted can be downloaded from here
https://rapidshare.com/files/498221805/D800_sample_by_Arnaud.rar

Thx for that link, very much appreciated....downloading now.......thank god I have UVerse.
Geez, all the pics were shot by 5d mark ii! It has been confirmed!
A Canon fanboy did this and posted them to a Nikon forum, then he hided in shadow while hearing all the compliments about how good the D800 is from all Nikon users!

Are you freaking kidding me???  LOL....that is hilarious.....

I'd love a link to that discussion.
If you guys can read Chinese  ;)
My Fiance is Chinese. I need to see this if you have a link. I can get some good translations in later if you have  a link.
Sounds epic.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2012, 11:42:44 PM »
All the sample pics I've just posted can be downloaded from here
https://rapidshare.com/files/498221805/D800_sample_by_Arnaud.rar

Thx for that link, very much appreciated....downloading now.......thank god I have UVerse.
Geez, all the pics were shot by 5d mark ii! It has been confirmed!
A Canon fanboy did this and posted them to a Nikon forum, then he hided in shadow while hearing all the compliments about how good the D800 is from all Nikon users!

Are you freaking kidding me???  LOL....that is hilarious.....

I'd love a link to that discussion.
If you guys can read Chinese  ;)
My Fiance is Chinese. I need to see this if you have a link. I can get some good translations in later if you have  a link.
Sounds epic.
I have deleted the link!

The guy who did this has apologized to all forum members, so if you got the link please don't post to other forums. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:18:02 AM by simonxu11 »

jwong

« Reply #213 on: February 22, 2012, 12:28:51 AM »

The reason why the entire image from 5D2 looks cleaner is because it has a sensor that is 1.6 * 1.6 (= the crop factor) times larger than that of 7D. This is 2.56 times, meaning that it's log2( 2.56 ) = 1.35 stops cleaner. This is the expected difference.

This happens because images have a physical size, and this size is the size of the sensor. The larger sensor captures more light for the same photo. This can't be seen practically because the images are always scaled to display / paper size (= the same physical size), but with different scales. The images made by a sensor as large as a display don't need to be scaled at all (compared to a small FF sensor) and would therefore show stupefyingly low noise levels (for the entire photo). Unfortunately, the lens needs to be proportional in diameter.

Just curious, but what is the tradeoff between size of the photosites versus low light performance?  If I understand the thesis correctly, a higher density wouldn't hurt in uncropped situations but would help for cropping situations, but how about in extremely low light situations.  How does the noise floor for larger photosites compare to smaller photosites?  Signal strength could be thought to be proportional to area (L^2), but how about noise?  Is it something less than than L^2?  If it is, then there is a trade between resolution and low light performance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #213 on: February 22, 2012, 12:28:51 AM »