December 13, 2017, 06:27:27 AM

Author Topic: Review: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III  (Read 1958 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Review: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
« on: November 22, 2017, 08:49:15 AM »
ePHOTOzine has completed their review of the brand new Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III. Canon’s flaghship PowerShot camera which sports an APS-C 24mp image sensor.

From ePHOTOzine:

The Canon Powershot G1 X Mark III has taken the great usability of a Canon DSLR, and the 24mp APS-C CMOS sensor with phase-detection AF built-in, and squished it into a compact camera, whilst maintaining excellent handling and usability. They’ve also put a 3x zoom lens (24-72mm equivalent) on the front, with a relatively bright f/2.8 aperture at the wide-angle end of the lens.

What Canon is offering is unique, giving a 24mp APS-C CMOS sensor, and a 3x optical zoom lens, in a compact camera not much bigger than other compact cameras. We started this review by asking if Canon had made a true miniature DSLR in the size of a compact camera, and from the results, we would say they’ve succeeded. Whilst the camera doesn’t have the battery life to match a DSLR, this can quickly be solved by the purchase of a spare battery or two. Read the full review

ePHOTOzine came away quite impressed with the camera. I don’t think any is surprised that it’s a good package, I think the biggest issues against it has been the price tag ($1299USD) and the lack of 4K video capture. I think this camera will sell decently once it sees a price drop.

I was personally surprised how well it felt in my hand once I had a few minutes to play with one.

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Review: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
« on: November 22, 2017, 08:49:15 AM »

Etienne

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Review: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 12:36:42 PM »
Could have been interesting, even at this price, but:

1. No mic input
2. No 4K
3. Another battery to carry? Why not standardize on the LP-E17. This may at first sound like  a small issue, but I'm not adding another set of batteries and chargers without a very good reason. And no USB charging?
4. USB 2.0. Another dinosaur?

I'd like to see Canon go all out on one of these smaller cameras. But these just make the case to switch to Sony.

bhf3737

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 02:58:19 PM »

1. No mic input
2. No 4K
3. Another battery to carry? Why not standardize on the LP-E17. This may at first sound like  a small issue, but I'm not adding another set of batteries and chargers without a very good reason. And no USB charging?

I'd like to see Canon go all out on one of these smaller cameras. But these just make the case to switch to Sony.

Noticed that the other two cameras compared to the G1X III on the same review page - i.e. the Sony RX100V and Panasonic LX100 - do not have audio (mic) input jack either and their battery life is in the CIPA 200+ comparable range. They also both have USB2 connectivity. True,  Sony RX100V and Panasonic LX100 have some kind of 4K (UHD highly compressed 8-bit 60-100 MB/s) but they have smaller sensor, either.  Yes, a small and cheap fixed lens mirrorless camera that has it all is highly appreciated but unfortunately, I guess no manufacturer does have it right now.     
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:17:39 PM by bhf3737 »

Aaron D

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
    • web site
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 06:38:30 PM »
OK this is a cool enough camera, but I'm not sure why you would buy this over an M5.  I guess it's a bit smaller...

okaro

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »

1. No mic input
2. No 4K

LP-E17 is way too big for so small camera. Canon has now standardized to NB-13L on small cameras. G-series, SX600, SX700 series. It does support USB-charging. It uses USB 2.0 as the 3.0 connector is larger.

Etienne

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:31:31 PM »
OK this is a cool enough camera, but I'm not sure why you would buy this over an M5.  I guess it's a bit smaller...

I agree. I bought an M6 to replace my M3. I use it with my 22mm f/2... that's my pocket camera.
The M6 isn't perfect, but even with a couple of lenses it's cheaper and better than the G1 X II ... at least it has a mic input, and it uses the same battery as the T7i / 77D

okaro

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »

A bit?

http://camerasize.com/compact/#684.680,723,ha,t

Also the lens is faster, it is weather sealed, fully articulating display.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »

okaro

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 07:37:23 PM »

I agree. I bought an M6 to replace my M3. I use it with my 22mm f/2... that's my pocket camera.
The M6 isn't perfect, but even with a couple of lenses it's cheaper and better than the G1 X II ... at least it has a mic input, and it uses the same battery as the T7i / 77D

This is smaller and has zoom, IS, and EVF. Adding lenses makes no sense if the point is to be small. Those who buy this probably already have a FF DSLR.

Etienne

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 08:07:17 PM »

This is smaller and has zoom, IS, and EVF. Adding lenses makes no sense if the point is to be small. Those who buy this probably already have a FF DSLR.

It makes perfect sense if you're happy with a small sharp prime that delivers superior results than a tiny slow zoom
... with the added bonus that I can use my 11-22 IS any time I choose

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 08:55:21 AM »

A bit?

http://camerasize.com/compact/#684.680,723,ha,t

Also the lens is faster, it is weather sealed, fully articulating display.
There is this option you know:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#723,684.349,ha,t

and even buying the 22/2 in addition to the kit can still be within G1X Mark III price. Now if you were talking about faster lens...  well you know the rest.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:05:52 PM by tron »

eyeyoon

• Canonflex
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
If someone wants a daily camera with
1. APS-C sensor
2. Weather sealing
3. Articulating display
4. Zoom lens with IS
5. USB charging
6. Not willing to carry multiple lenses
7. As small and light as possible

G1X III seems like the best option available.

I'm not sure why some people keep asking why would anyone get G1X III over M5/M6.
It's all about personal preference. I'd rather pay extra $ for less weight, less size, weather sealing, usb charging, fully articulating screen.
If you want to save money and don't mind extra weight/space, and always carry a camera bag for the 2nd lens, sure, M5/M6 is a better choice.

M5+15-45mm : bigger, heavier, no weather sealing, not fully articulating screen, no usb charging
M5+22mm : bigger, heavier, no zoom, no IS, no weather sealing, not fully articulating screen, no usb charging
M5+15-45mm+22mm : much heaver, bigger, have to carry extra lens, no weather sealing, not fully articulating screen, no usb charging

More options are always good for consumers. You just need to pick a camera that suits your needs and wants.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:03:58 PM by eyeyoon »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »