December 18, 2017, 04:06:27 AM

Author Topic: Kickstarter: Pinhole Pro S | World's Widest Professional Pinhole Lens  (Read 1994 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
From Thingyfy: Since the original success of the Pinhole Pro, our backers have been asking us to release a wide angle version of the professional pinhole lens. We heard you, loud and clear!

Today we are happy to announce two new wide angle lenses to the Pinhole Pro family: the Pinhole Pro S11 (11mm) and Pinhole Pro S37 (37mm).

Pinhole photography predates any form of modern photography as the most fundamental form of photographic art. The forerunner to the photographic camera was the camera obscura — a permeative photographic device with no lens but a single pinhole aperture.

Contemporary cameras use state-of-the-art lenses, mirrors, mounts, AF/MF techniques, and endlessly higher pixel density to deliver amazing images, but those images are too life-like, lacking the charm of raw, naturally vintage look of pinhole photos boasting the most original saturated colours.

Pinhole is photography in its most original form. However, achieving that unforgettable photographic aesthetics requires high precision engineering and modern state of the art manufacturing technologies. With so many sub-par quality options on the market, as well as the ability for anyone to build their own, we saw an opportunity to not only build a pinhole lens that’s beautiful with exceptional build quality, but also with precision engineering and rich inputs from the photographers and cinematographers themselves — the result was the world’s first ever multi-aperture professional pinhole lens that supports virtually all modern digital cameras with interchangeable lenses.

In the early 20th century, the development of high speed films and mass production of glass lens almost made pinhole photography forgotten. It’s a lost art form, only to be kept alive by the few enthusiasts.

Photographers turned to the endless pursuit of sharpness, resolution and speed. That trend still dominates today. However many photographers like yourself have started to realize that high resolution and high specs can not replace the authenticity of analogue photography that’s more personal, original, unfiltered with a timeless ‘point of view’. Pinhole photography provides exactly that. After all it is the closest to what a human eye can see.

Read more about the Pinhole Pro S at Kickstarter

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:04:21 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Robert Marxreiter

• Canonflex
Re: Kickstarter: Pinhole Pro S | World's Widest Professional Pinhole Lens
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 02:13:19 AM »
"After all it is the closest to what a human eye can see" - I'm sure it's a nice pinhole, but equating that to the lensed human eye is just ignorant marketing babble.

Ryananthony

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 09:33:01 AM »
How long before the makers of this lens find their way to the forum?

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • You might have more or less gear
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 11:15:26 AM »
Now, if it came with a free KURVD...

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 12:06:53 PM »
“Pinhole is photography in its most original form. However, achieving that unforgettable photographic aesthetics requires high precision engineering and modern state of the art manufacturing technologies.”

Really now... here I was thinking it just required a pinhole...  ::)

“ high resolution and high specs can not replace the authenticity of analogue photography that’s more personal, original, unfiltered with a timeless ‘point of view’. Pinhole photography provides exactly that.”

Now how exactly does a lensless lense make my digital camera analogue?

slclick

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 12:16:15 PM »
“Pinhole is photography in its most original form. However, achieving that unforgettable photographic aesthetics requires high precision engineering and modern state of the art manufacturing technologies.”

Really now... here I was thinking it just required a pinhole...  ::)

“ high resolution and high specs can not replace the authenticity of analogue photography that’s more personal, original, unfiltered with a timeless ‘point of view’. Pinhole photography provides exactly that.”

Now how exactly does a lensless lense make my digital camera analogue?

There may be one hole in each lens but there are many holes in their marketing mumbo jumbo.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 01:29:26 PM »
I'll bet that professional photographers are using it in droves.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 01:29:26 PM »

slclick

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 02:23:53 PM »
I made my pinhole out of a Beats Earphone box

neonlight

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 10:57:47 AM »
Great! Looks just like those pinhole camera shots of old ;D

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 03:30:54 PM »
I'll bet that professional photographers are using it in droves.

One of the few I know who uses the pinhole technique is Abelardo Morell - but he turns whole rooms in a true "camera obscura" with a simple hole, and photographs the result. He's also added later a lens and a prism to make images clearer and straight.

Anyway lenses and mirrors were added to "camerae obscurae" well before the invention of photography. Professional painters needed clearer and straight images as well.

Actually, with slow emulsions, a lens helps to reduce exposure, allowing more light to be collected. While Niepce could wait hours (or days) for his first photography, Daguerre probably couldn't, if he was looking for a practical usage. History of photography would have been quite different if a camera obscura didn't have a lens already in the early XIX century.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:42:10 PM by LDS »

retroreflection

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 05:46:56 PM »
Make fun all you want, but a pinhole lens has unique capabilities.
When the Dr. No opening title sequence needed to show James Bond framed by the inside of a pistol barrel, a pinhole lens' infinite depth of field allowed for a clear image of the rifling.  It worked a treat.

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 07:12:53 PM »
Make fun all you want, but a pinhole lens has unique capabilities.
When the Dr. No opening title sequence needed to show James Bond framed by the inside of a pistol barrel, a pinhole lens' infinite depth of field allowed for a clear image of the rifling.  It worked a treat.

I don’t think folks are laughing at the concept of pinhole so much as at a company that claims it requires high precision engineering and state of the art manufacturing to achieve...

Valvebounce

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Doing my best to get all of this to work together.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 08:35:49 PM »
Hi Folks.
I am not trying to justify the claims made by this company, I am just wondering about the science of the pinhole.
Is it a case of the sharper the edge the less distortion it will cause? Is a very clean hole pierced in very thin foil going to give sharper results than a bit of cereal box stabbed with a blunt sewing needle? Perhaps the hole in foil would work better if done with a laser,  the melted edge might then have a very small radius or would this be detrimental to the image?

Cheers, Graham.
7DII+Grip, 1DsIII, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 1.4xIII, 2xIII, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l IS II, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, Filters, Remotes, Macro tubes, Tripods, heads etc!

1DsIII, 20D, 24-105, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 08:35:49 PM »

slclick

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 09:15:08 PM »
Hi Folks.
I am not trying to justify the claims made by this company, I am just wondering about the science of the pinhole.
Is it a case of the sharper the edge the less distortion it will cause? Is a very clean hole pierced in very thin foil going to give sharper results than a bit of cereal box stabbed with a blunt sewing needle? Perhaps the hole in foil would work better if done with a laser,  the melted edge might then have a very small radius or would this be detrimental to the image?

Cheers, Graham.

The smoothness of the hole is paramount. In my two examples above the holes were punched through thick card stock, not very clean at all. I have made apertures with metal in pinholes cams and they tend to be much crisper.

Valvebounce

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Doing my best to get all of this to work together.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 07:21:58 AM »
Hi Folks.
Reading all this reminds me that I was going to try a pinhole, I have read about people using a spare body cap for this.
Anyone done this?
Does this work well enough?
What size hole is best?
Do I give the hole a small chamfer or leave the edge as sharp as possible?
Yes I can put the hole in the middle! :)

I have a couple of cheap after market caps to use for this so a couple of attempts are possible!

Cheers, Graham.
7DII+Grip, 1DsIII, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 1.4xIII, 2xIII, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l IS II, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, Filters, Remotes, Macro tubes, Tripods, heads etc!

1DsIII, 20D, 24-105, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 07:21:58 AM »