December 16, 2017, 02:13:27 PM

Author Topic: EOS 2000D, EOS 3000D, EOS 4000D, EOS M50 Registered  (Read 6052 times)

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
Re: EOS 2000D, EOS 3000D, EOS 4000D, EOS M50 Registered
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2017, 07:57:03 AM »
I would speculate that one main differentiating feature could be the LCD.
Lowest level: no touch screen
Middle: fixed touch screen
highest level body, vari-angle touch screen.           
The "value" of those difference consumers can recognise easily, and I think it allows Canon a reasonable differentiated pricing

This seems sensible too.

The important thing for Canon is to have multiple models so that they can compete in price (lowest model) effectively, but then salespeople can upsell the more expensive models (as they already do with the whole range, but more closely-priced models make this easier, as the 750D/760D proved)
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2017, 07:57:03 AM »

The3o5FlyGuy

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
    • tumblr
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2017, 08:14:36 AM »
I for one wish Canon would stop making so many pointless cameras. There are MORE than enough already, for every kind of shooter. Please focus on IMPROVING the already existing line of cameras you have because they are falling horribly behind the competition

yeahright

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »
I for one wish Canon would stop making so many pointless cameras. There are MORE than enough already, for every kind of shooter.
I completely agree that a more streamlined lineup would be preferrable. For any kind of product (not just cameras) I feel that if there's too much selection I cannot bother myself to find out and compare all the details of all the models and finally I end up not buying anything at all. That's why I have never bought a TV, because my urge to watch TV is obviously smaller than putting up with the cumbersome (but necessary) process of gathering all the information. And that's why it took me over four years to finally decide for a camera. Had there been fewer models to choose from, I would probably have bought earlier.
And as for wide selection: makes me think of Nokia that at a time seemed to put out four new phones a month (some with really awkward specs), and look where they're now (I am NOT saying that the same fate lies ahead for Canon, just saying).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 08:39:07 AM by yeahright »

scyrene

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2017, 04:03:17 PM »
I for one wish Canon would stop making so many pointless cameras. There are MORE than enough already, for every kind of shooter.
I completely agree that a more streamlined lineup would be preferrable. For any kind of product (not just cameras) I feel that if there's too much selection I cannot bother myself to find out and compare all the details of all the models and finally I end up not buying anything at all. That's why I have never bought a TV, because my urge to watch TV is obviously smaller than putting up with the cumbersome (but necessary) process of gathering all the information. And that's why it took me over four years to finally decide for a camera. Had there been fewer models to choose from, I would probably have bought earlier.
And as for wide selection: makes me think of Nokia that at a time seemed to put out four new phones a month (some with really awkward specs), and look where they're now (I am NOT saying that the same fate lies ahead for Canon, just saying).

While it might make an individual customer's choice easier, I suspect (given how market leaders tend to segment their lineups) that the market prefers a lot of choice - they are after all pretty successful at selling their products.
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

okaro

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2017, 05:18:51 AM »
While it might make an individual customer's choice easier, I suspect (given how market leaders tend to segment their lineups) that the market prefers a lot of choice - they are after all pretty successful at selling their products.

Canon does not want to make your choice easier as then you might consider other manufacturers. It is their interest that you exhaust your efforts to choose between Canon models so you do not consider other manufacturers. This has worked well with me.

photonius

• EOS M5
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2017, 05:06:16 PM »

Canon does not want to make your choice easier as then you might consider other manufacturers. It is their interest that you exhaust your efforts to choose between Canon models so you do not consider other manufacturers. This has worked well with me.

Well, you get more shelf-space when you have more cameras. But it can also backfire; when Apple was in dire straights with their Macs, many different models nobody could keep straight anymore - and competing against clones. When Steve Jobs came back, he killed all that.
A reason for Canon to do 3 entry level models might be emerging markets.   Anything above 1000$ might be too expensive for most in a camera shop, but three tired entry level cameras might populate the shelf.

okaro

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2017, 06:50:32 PM »

Well, you get more shelf-space when you have more cameras. But it can also backfire; when Apple was in dire straights with their Macs, many different models nobody could keep straight anymore - and competing against clones. When Steve Jobs came back, he killed all that.

Well Apple has still variation. There are 16 versions of iPhone for example - not counting color variations.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2017, 06:50:32 PM »