June 22, 2018, 09:45:07 AM

Author Topic: Which laptop is best for Lightroom?  (Read 7639 times)

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Which laptop is best for Lightroom?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 01:28:31 PM »
Mac computers usually last longer than windows computers and have fewer problems.

Strange, since today they are made exactly using the same components by the same Chinese factories... it just depend on the quality of the computer you're buying. Cheap models will be made with cheaper components and manufacturing, of course.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 01:28:31 PM »

benique

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 01:44:26 PM »
It's not only about the hardware. The software is much more optimised for the hardware. Which leads to better performance. Windows has to run on every model. MacOS on the other hand only needs to run on Apple computers. The Windows system is also well known to slow down a lot over time.

There is a reason why older Apple computers are relatively expensive.

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »
It's not only about the hardware. The software is much more optimised for the hardware. Which leads to better performance. Windows has to run on every model. MacOS on the other hand only needs to run on Apple computers. The Windows system is also well known to slow down a lot over time.

Oh, no.  Please don't turn this into Mac vs Windows. MILC vs DSLR is bad enough. Thy are both gret platforms, with different strengths in software and hardware options.

Windows 10 does not run slower over time. Installing software that slows down a computer bit by bit over time slows it down, and that isn't unique to Windows. My 4 year old PC is still my main workhorse, even though I  have several newer, more powerful machines, as I am a professional software developer and get new computer equipment as quickly as a professional photographer would camera bodies and lenses.

Do not buy an older computer of any type unless the price differential is huge, if for no other reason than that   
ongoing Spectre/meltdown mitigations take a bigger performance hit on older processors. Although processors, gpus, chipset, ssds, and memory have all matured and performance differences are relatively small as compared to PC generations a couple of decades ago, for PS/LR, the performance difference is noticeable, as is battery life, if that matters to you.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:25:22 PM by Talys »

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 02:23:14 PM »

That's why you should buy Leica and not Canon for example. Or maybe Hasselblad. They only make a few optimized cameras and lenses, and that's why they are so expensive, unlike Canon that has to cover so many different price points, and have to make cameras like the 4000D.

Of course, I'm kidding.  :P

I could debunk your myths one by one, but that's not the place.

Photorex

• EOS M5
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 02:32:31 PM »
@LDS:

Your suggestion for an iMac is not helpful for the thread opener at all.
Read the subject again and his opening thread.

Subject: Which laptop is best for Lightroom?

He wants to travel for one year, so a desktop computer is definetely not what he is searching for.

Frank

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 02:32:31 PM »