December 17, 2017, 04:15:14 PM

Author Topic: A little discouraging for Canon fans  (Read 2899 times)

siegsAR

• EOS M5
Re: A little discouraging for Canon fans
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 04:18:54 AM »
Since 2009, I've looked at different "photographic" brands, even Lytro!  ::) Reviews, press releases, you name it.
Also since 2009, and my 4th body now I'm still with Canon.

Trends are easier to quantify than observe what's already in a place for a long time.
I would bet that more than half of those who visited and drove the statistics up are Canon users(former and current alike).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 04:18:54 AM »

Ian_of_glos

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 04:55:32 AM »
Some people just want to own the latest products and I think this is probably reflected in these stats.
A few years ago, when the Fuji XT-1 was announced several members of our local camera club traded in their Canon or Nikon full frame DSLRs for Fuji XT-1s. They proudly displayed their new cameras at the camera club meetings and lauded the excellent and innovative features that they now had at their disposal. Those of us who held on to our full frame DSLRs were labelled fuddy-duddies or dinosaurs. This was the way technology was moving and we better follow suit or we would be left behind.
Then a year later those same people traded in their Fuji XT-1s for Sony A7s. Apparently the Fuji had turned out to be unreliable, and they also missed having a full frame camera. The Sony offered the best of both worlds so yet again they jumped ship.
I no longer belong to the camera club but last week I bumped into one of the members in town. He had recently traded in his Sony A7 for a Nikon D850. Apparently it is "the best camera on the market today." No doubt in a few weeks time when another new camera is announced he will switch systems again.
Now this is not a very scientific sample but it does illustrate the point that there are always people who buy into the hype and simply must own the latest version of any product, whatever it may be. I have no idea where they find the money for all these new cameras but if nothing else it does allow them to say that they have first hand experience of a number of different cameras. Meanwhile I am happy with my Canon 5D mark 4 and I still see no reason to change to another camera system.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 05:27:51 AM »
Some people just want to own the latest products and I think this is probably reflected in these stats.

Rather, I think some people just want to dream about owning the latest products.  Lots of looky-loos, but the market data quite clearly show the actual buyers are purchasing Canon.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Hector1970

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Flickr
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 06:59:03 AM »
The market data is a lagging indicator.
DP reviews galleries may not be a great leading indicator but it is interesting that no Canon camera or lens is in the top 10.
Canon is under no great current threat but market leadership can ebb away if the don’t keep producing good camera and lens. Canon seems to do incremental improvements in a low risk manner. The basic quality is excellent.
The problem I see for Canon is how they convince their current owners to keep buying new kit.
It’s not been compelling on the camera front.
Past sales are nice as they give you a customer base. It’s future sales Canon has to get to survive.
They need to do a good job on their first full frame mirrorless.
It offers the best hope for higher frame rate.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 06:59:03 AM »