December 16, 2017, 02:13:59 PM

Author Topic: Canon's New Tilt Shift Lenses Still Scheduled To Begin Shipping Next Week  (Read 2764 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors

We’re told by a couple of retailers that Canon’s new TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro, TS-E 90mm f/2.8L Macro & TS-E 135mm f/4L Macro are still scheduled to begin shipping in small quantities during the first week of December.

We have yet to see any in-depth hands-on previews or reviews for Canon’s latest tilt-shift lenses.

Anyone that has gotten their hands on any of the three lenses, please let us know what you think.

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

infared

• EOS 5DS R
  • Kodak Brownie!
Re: Canon's New Tilt Shift Lenses Still Scheduled To Begin Shipping Next Week
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 10:08:43 AM »
SWEET!!!!!
5D III +BG, 5D IV +BG, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Rokinon 15mm f/2.4,  Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 35mm f/1.4L II, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f/1.2L,  Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II & 1.4x III

midluk

• EOS 80D
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 10:32:34 AM »
The new MT-26EX-RT also currently seems to start shipping (at least in the US).  So I guess there will be reviews coming soon.
5D4+BG-E20, 70D+BG-E14, EF 24-70 f/4L IS, EF 16-35 f/4L IS, EF 100 f/2.8L IS macro, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, EF 100-400 L IS II, 2x 600EX-RT, 430EX III-RT, MT-26EX-RT

auditom

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • tom krichels site

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 02:54:02 PM »
Especially curious about the 135 - which is really the new kid on the block.

Maybe some review will make it clear to some millenials who were surprised by Canon delivering three new T/S why this kind of lens is useful - and no, you can't do everything in post :)

NadaMal

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 06:25:10 AM »
I really want one of these, but in the UK they are on sale at Jessops for £2,499 ($3,325 USD).
5DSR | 5D3 | 11-24 | 16-35/2.8 mk II | 24-70 mk II | 70-200 mk II | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 mk II | Zeiss 2/100 makro | Fujifilm X100F

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 08:14:45 AM »
- and no, you can't do everything in post :)

Playing devils advocate here, what can you do with a tilt shift lens you can't do in post? Other than achieve some effects in a single shot I'm not so sure, especially given the high resolution files we have to work with now.

At 'normal' output sizes I think T/S lenses are a hard sell.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 08:14:45 AM »

Orangutan

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 08:27:15 AM »

Playing devils advocate here, what can you do with a tilt shift lens you can't do in post? Other than achieve some effects in a single shot I'm not so sure, especially given the high resolution files we have to work with now.

Are you thinking about keystone correction?  Having never used a T/S, it's my understanding that keystone is just one benefit, another being the ability to control the attitude of the plane of focus.  I understand (and agree) that multi-shot work is entirely viable for many needs these days, but there are always situations where a single shot is preferable; e.g. a forest on a windy day.

It's certainly a hard sell for me, but not because of the capability of the lens.   :)

privatebydesign

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »

Are you thinking about keystone correction?  Having never used a T/S, it's my understanding that keystone is just one benefit, another being the ability to control the attitude of the plane of focus.  I understand (and agree) that multi-shot work is entirely viable for many needs these days, but there are always situations where a single shot is preferable; e.g. a forest on a windy day.

It's certainly a hard sell for me, but not because of the capability of the lens.   :)

Keystone is shift, plane of focus adjustments are tilt. There is practically nothing you can't do with either you can't do in post that would give you acceptable results at normal output sizes. Sure for some tilt images where tilt was used a few stacked shots might be needed.

But as I say I was playing devils advocate in asking what can tilt shift lenses do that can't be done in post to an acceptable standard at normal output sizes?

Tilt would be very limited in a forest on a windy day as the plane of focus becomes a wedge shape and you can't get the tops and bottoms of the trees in focus and keep them in focus going into the image.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 04:44:25 PM »

Define "normal output size" :) I don't believe these lenses are aimed at people shooting for small catalog images on Amazon or AirBnB.

Combining several shots is again not always possible - it requires everything motionless, besides being more time consuming and maybe requiring a still expensive and/or heavy setup - and even hi-res files of today may noticeable lose detail when manipulated too much. Probably today you can also try with a full 3D rendering... but it's not exactly the same thing.

privatebydesign

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 05:35:19 PM »

Define "normal output size" :) I don't believe these lenses are aimed at people shooting for small catalog images on Amazon or AirBnB.

Combining several shots is again not always possible - it requires everything motionless, besides being more time consuming and maybe requiring a still expensive and/or heavy setup - and even hi-res files of today may noticeable lose detail when manipulated too much. Probably today you can also try with a full 3D rendering... but it's not exactly the same thing.

Normal output size has a definition already, an 8"x10" print viewed from 12", that is how CoC calculations and DOF are calculated. That equates to a 16"x20" from 24" etc etc.

Several shots do not require everything to be motionless, I do it all the time and you can choose the image that best exposed the moving part, auto detect movement works staggeringly well in post software too.

Kieth Cooper has some excellent tilt shift articles posted on his site ( http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/category/articles-and-reviews/tilt-shift/ ) and he does image quality loss comparisons with shift and software too ( http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/using-a-shift-lens-why-not-just-fix-verticals-in-software/ and halfway down here http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/what-tilt-and-shift-lenses-do/ )

My devils advocate question still hasn't been answered...

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 06:12:43 PM »
My devils advocate question still hasn't been answered...

I'm not a T/S guy, but for product photography I thought you play with the focal plane in sweet ways to get an entire subject in sharpest resolution in one shot without needing to resort to focus stacking.

- A

Robhoek27

• Canonflex
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »
Dear devil's advocate, have you ever tried a ts lens? In other news, I found this review via google https://www.cyberphoto.se/info.php?article=tse50

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »

privatebydesign

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »
Dear devil's advocate, have you ever tried a ts lens? In other news, I found this review via google https://www.cyberphoto.se/info.php?article=tse50

Yes, I've owned the 17 since release and will be getting the 50. But again, my question was in reply to the comment that "no, you can't do everything in post", so what is it that you can't do in post, or with pre-thought at the shooting stage, that only a T/S lens can do?

Practical examples would be the answer, yet nobody has any so far.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 12:41:58 PM »
Practical examples would be the answer, yet nobody has any so far.

I believe my answer of using the sharpest lens aperture to cover a larger front-to-back DOF than would normally be covered on a non-T/S lens is a plausible attempt, is it not?  You can't focus stack in post if you never shot the stack, or (perhaps saying this another way) you can't bring something out of the working DOF back into the working DOF in post.

But I don't use T/S and have only seen this in videos and demos and such.  I defer to those who have actually done this and might comment on it here.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 12:41:58 PM »