December 12, 2017, 02:03:50 AM

Author Topic: Canon's New Tilt Shift Lenses Still Scheduled To Begin Shipping Next Week  (Read 2486 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: Canon's New Tilt Shift Lenses Still Scheduled To Begin Shipping Next Week
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »
Practical examples would be the answer, yet nobody has any so far.

I believe my answer of using the sharpest lens aperture to cover a larger front-to-back DOF than would normally be covered on a non-T/S lens is a plausible attempt, is it not?  You can't focus stack in post if you never shot the stack, or (perhaps saying this another way) you can't bring something out of the working DOF back into the working DOF in post.

But I don't use T/S and have only seen this in videos and demos and such.  I defer to those who have actually done this and might comment on it here.

- A

I use tilt for extreme sharpness throughout the image but I could just as easily do that, with even better results in some situations, by focus stacking. Obviously if you didn't shoot the stack there is nothing you can do, but my point stands, with forethought what is it that you can do with a T/S lens you can't do in post?

This was the statement by LDS " - and no, you can't do everything in post :) " . My question in reply is, what is it that you can't do in post given some forethought?

One of the things people who don't use tilt lenses miss is that the plane of acceptable focus changes from being a parallel 'bread' slice that's thickness is determined by the aperture and focus distance, to a pie slice where the camera end comes to a point, you end up with less dof close to the camera and often not enough height to cover close objects, or even tall ones further away, within the composition.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 02:35:41 PM »
This was the statement by LDS " - and no, you can't do everything in post :) " . My question in reply is, what is it that you can't do in post given some forethought?

Think about images you take with a strong ND filter to remove moving objects and achieve other effects. If you need enough images, there's a good chance light conditions changes as well, and shadows move enough. In other situations conditions change quickly enough even with normal exposures you can have an hard time to stack them.

You imply you always have the time to achieve the same effects with a different technique, but that's not always the case.

Some digital perspective correction will lead to less definition - they always involve interpolation - and "normal size" is in the eye of the beholder. Some photos are made to be seen from very close, even at a large size, because that's what users need, and digital corrections losses may be not acceptable.

Can you come close, with a lot of work, to what a TS lens achieve? Often, yes - but not always.

Drainpipe

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • It's all about the little things.
    • Check out my Instagram!
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 10:10:15 PM »
I'm pretty excited. I rented the 90mm and it should be here by the 4th. I have a set of auto bellows I already have ready for it :) Pretty sure I will pick one up in the future, but just wanted to test it out before I went crazy and bought one.
Canon 5DIV, 5DII | MP-E 65mm 1x-5x f/2.8 | 100mm f/2.8 USM | MT-24EX
My macro Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/macrobrice

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 10:40:44 PM »
I'm pretty excited. I rented the 90mm and it should be here by the 4th. I have a set of auto bellows I already have ready for it :) Pretty sure I will pick one up in the future, but just wanted to test it out before I went crazy and bought one.

I'm excited too, and looking forwards to my first excuse to get the 50 which might be in January.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Hazmatt

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 08:04:01 AM »
The combination of a TSE lens and 1/2 life size Macro makes for a suburb lens.
To be able to tilt for maximum depth of field with macro subjects studio/nature is very useful, the 90mmTSE (now the old version) had a useful 1/3rd life-size capability and with extension tubes could provide greater magnification.
waited years for these but the price is prohibitive as is the weight both a huge increase on the original although the 135mm is a welcome addition.
Its possible to cover all the advantages of the TSE with software options, blur (never quite looks right from software) depth of field (focus stacking, can give excellent or even better results for landscape but if shooting a building elevation at an oblique angle this is relatively easy to execute in camera to gain good depth of field). Perspective control( software options available and depending on the amount of Shift could be a close call on quality but some of the image is lost doing this in post and the TSE lens can combine Tilt and Shift, take the example of the oblique wall the depth of field can be increased by tilting plus correct convergence with some shift, a lot of work in post to achieve this)
The other handy thing that a TSE lens can do is take a picture in front of a mirror or reflective surface and keep the photographer/camera out of the image with some shift. Easy pano stitching is another useful ability.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 08:17:52 AM by Hazmatt »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 08:04:01 AM »