December 11, 2017, 12:54:31 AM

Author Topic: Anyone kept their 6d since upgrading to a 5d4?  (Read 2549 times)

james75

• PowerShot G1 X II
Anyone kept their 6d since upgrading to a 5d4?
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:53:12 AM »
Hi,
I just bought the 5d4 about a month ago and I'm really liking the camera. The pictures coming off this thing are beautiful. The improved dynamic range and detail it shows is what I'm liking most.
The only thing I'm surprised by is the difference in colors when compared to my original 6d are. Overall I like the 5d4 pictures better ,but In some scenarios I think I'll still want to use my 6d because I think it would look better for a certain scene. So I'm glad I kept it.
Just wondering if this is common amongst camera users, where you hold onto your older bodies because the pictures coming off of it have a certain look to them that maybe your new camera cant' reproduce? And should I expect this for every new body I buy going forward?
Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

Anyone kept their 6d since upgrading to a 5d4?
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:53:12 AM »

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Anyone kept their 6d since upgrading to a 5d4?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 11:00:39 AM »
I'd be curious to find out if you were/are using certain glass on a p[articular body which you weren't on the other as I find lenses have much more to do with rendering than bodies of the same mfg.

michi

• EOS M5
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:17:35 AM »
There are probably many factors.  Are you using the same glass, exact same settings, shooting in RAW, processing the same way?  But yeah, I suspect different sensors also give different results.  Maybe you are just used to your older camera?  I would think you could process the 5DIV images in a way which would get you really close to the 6D look you like.

I kept my 5DII along with my 5DIV but that's only so I have a backup.  I love my 5DIV.  The dynamic range is great, so is high ISO shooting and the AF is my miles better than anything I have ever had.

JP4DESIGNZ

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Jesse Patterson Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:54:33 PM »
Hi james75.  I thought I was the only one who noticed the color difference between my 5D4 and (previous) 6D.  Even though the 5D4 has much better dynamic range, resolution, and slightly better ISO, I actually prefer the 6D's colors over the 5D4 a bit, especially for portraits.  Since my 6D was stolen, I replaced it with a 5DS R for all of the obvious reasons however, I'm noticing the 6D has something unique going on with it's colors over any camera I've ever owned.
5D4 | 5DS R | Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 VC | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 85mm f/1.4L IS | Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 | Lots of Flashpoint (Godox) Gear

bereninga

• EOS 80D
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 12:56:21 PM »
I'm interested in seeing the differences.

Can anyone post any evidence of the color differences between the 6D and 5DIV images?

docsmith

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 01:44:41 PM »
I'm interested in seeing the differences.

Can anyone post any evidence of the color differences between the 6D and 5DIV images?

Here is the color response for each camera from dxomark.  While they, deservedly, get some derision for their singular scores, if you look into the data, there is a lot of interesting things:

Canon 5DIV:
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Canon/EOS-5D-Mark-IV---Measurements

Canon 6D:
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Canon/EOS-6D---Measurements

The 5DIV seems to be getting a bit more of a response in the blue channel.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 02:26:46 PM »
Getting the same colors between those two models is unlikely, thats why tools like color checker exist, the use of it can modify the files on import to be very close to each other.  Even a 5D3 and 5D4 are going to have differences, in fact, there can be differences camera to camera of the same model.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 02:26:46 PM »

angrykarl

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »
Sorry for a slight offtopic, but how does it feel using a 6D when do you have a 5DIV with all the latest juice? I am asking because I am thinking about getting an older 6D (they seem ridiculously cheap as everyone is moving to 6DII) and right now I have EOS M5. It sure would be a bump in low light image quality, but then again I am spoiled by modern tech like articulated touch screen, more focus points, DPAF, wifi... so I am worrying that a 6D would feel outdated. Are you keeping the 6D just for the sake of colours or because it's still great to use? :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:02:20 PM by angrykarl »
EOS M5 | EF-M 22 | EF-M 18-150 | EF-S 35 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Helios 44-2

Random Orbits

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 04:22:51 PM »
Sorry for a slight offtopic, but how does it feel using a 6D when do you have a 5DIV with all the latest juice? I am asking because I am thinking about getting an older 6D (they seem ridiculously cheap as everyone is moving to 6DII) and right now I have EOS M5. It sure would be a bump in image quality, but then again I am spoiled by modern tech like articulated touch screen, more focus points, DPAF, wifi... so I am worrying that a 6D would feel outdated. Are you keeping the 6D just for the sake of colours or because it's still great to use? :)

When I upgraded from the 5D3 to the 5D4, I thought I'd use the 5D3 as a backup body... and it has sat unused for nearly a year.  The 7D2 gets used occasionally for the faster frame rate and for video (while using the 5D4 for stills).  I can see using both the M5 and a 6D as their use cases would be different but for the same use case, the newer generation is more responsive and easier to use.

angrykarl

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 05:20:31 PM »
When I upgraded from the 5D3 to the 5D4, I thought I'd use the 5D3 as a backup body... and it has sat unused for nearly a year.  The 7D2 gets used occasionally for the faster frame rate and for video (while using the 5D4 for stills).  I can see using both the M5 and a 6D as their use cases would be different but for the same use case, the newer generation is more responsive and easier to use.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm only considering the 6D as a second body for low light situations. The M5 is great and versatile, but the other day I was shooting at a company event in low light and it was so much pain... A better lens would help, but then again better is bigger and bigger lenses are not good on such a small body.
EOS M5 | EF-M 22 | EF-M 18-150 | EF-S 35 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Helios 44-2

JP4DESIGNZ

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Jesse Patterson Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 08:59:59 PM »

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm only considering the 6D as a second body for low light situations. The M5 is great and versatile, but the other day I was shooting at a company event in low light and it was so much pain... A better lens would help, but then again better is bigger and bigger lenses are not good on such a small body.

When I first upgraded to the 6D from the 70D a while back, I thought I would only use it as a back-up to my 7D2 at the time.  After seeing the IQ for myself, the 7D2 became the back-up camera and I started getting annoyed with how much worse my 7D2 was in low-light than the 6D.  Due to the significant increase in IQ from the 70D, I DID NOT MISS THE FLIP & TOUCH SCREEN.  The lack of autofocus points and DPAF was a bit annoying however, my 6D's autofocus was more accurate than my 7D2 and the images were much sharper.  To me, it was worth the sacrifice.

After upgrading my 7D2 to the 5D4, of course the 6D took the backseat due to all of the new tech + IQ benefits.  I still would use it as a back-up cam for events and occasional food pics due to the lighter weight.  Since the 6D was my first full-frame camera, I would have kept it as a back-up if it were not stolen.  The reason I replaced it with the 5DS R was because I was able to get one on sale (close to the release price of a 6D2) plus I needed a camera with dual card slots and the resolution for group photos and other commercial shoots helps!

I'm sure the 6D (or 6D2 for $1349.00 Cyber Week Sale here: https://goo.gl/KWRPKj) would become your main camera after seeing the IQ benefits.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:08:07 PM by JP4DESIGNZ »
5D4 | 5DS R | Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 VC | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 85mm f/1.4L IS | Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 | Lots of Flashpoint (Godox) Gear

bokehmon22

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »
I still keep the 6D as my secondary camera along with my 5D IV for wedding. I wouldn't shoot anything valuable like family formal, portraits with it though. It's a very capable camera as long as you have good lighting.

drmikeinpdx

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 09:01:04 AM »
I sometimes feel a bit of nostalgia for my old 5D classic.  But then I remember how frustrated I was with that awful autofocus system!
Current bodies:  5D4, 5D3, 77D, T5i, S100, S90
Lenses: 24-70 L2, 135 f/2.0 L, Tamron 85 f/1.8, 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f/1.2L, 24-105 L, 70-200 f/4 L, 35 f/2 IS, 24&40 pancakes, EF-S 18-135,
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 09:01:04 AM »

amorse

• EOS Rebel 300D
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 09:02:54 AM »
I actually sold my 6D to afford the 5D IV, so I can only speak anecdotally.  I do remember the first time I took the 5D IV out, I felt that the colours were a little flatter than what I was getting from the 6D (right out of camera and in RAW), but I did feel that I had more processing room on the 5D IV than the 6D.  I distinctly remember feeling a bit disappointed in reviewing my first few shots without processing, and then that feeling immediately going away when I started processing.  I was able to get the same sort of look from both cameras, but without shooting side by side it is hard to make any concrete statements on the matter.

Needless to say, the 5D IV doesn't leave me wanting, but I do miss my 6D since I've started to run into situations where a backup camera would have been an asset.

james75

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »
I actually sold my 6D to afford the 5D IV, so I can only speak anecdotally.  I do remember the first time I took the 5D IV out, I felt that the colours were a little flatter than what I was getting from the 6D (right out of camera and in RAW), but I did feel that I had more processing room on the 5D IV than the 6D.  I distinctly remember feeling a bit disappointed in reviewing my first few shots without processing, and then that feeling immediately going away when I started processing.  I was able to get the same sort of look from both cameras, but without shooting side by side it is hard to make any concrete statements on the matter.

Needless to say, the 5D IV doesn't leave me wanting, but I do miss my 6D since I've started to run into situations where a backup camera would have been an asset.

Yeah besides the colors, I also noticed this flatter look to the raw files too. I got so used to the 6d's more contrasty look, and editing the pictures a certain way, that it's just going to be an adjustment period with the new camera. The 6d has already taken a backseat and I haven't even used it since I've had the 5d4... it's that good. Just thought I'd keep it in case I wanted to go for a different look. I guess it's good to have options.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »