December 12, 2017, 02:03:11 AM

Author Topic: Firmware: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II v1.1.4  (Read 2816 times)

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Firmware: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II v1.1.4
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 01:26:28 PM »
I disagree.

And the issues I would have liked fixed Servo AF for stills in LV and touch shooting even when AF is not on the trigger, that’s got to be a bug.

OTOH I’m really glad the 1dx2 doesn’t need all those “improved AF”’firmwares the 1d3 and 1d4 had.

Everybody’s talking about the Eye AF from Sony, but fact is it only works when the subject is close. And how come people don’t know about the Face detection in the 1dx2, it’s frikkin’ epic! I’ve used it for a lot of action shots at 200 f2.0 and it just nails it, and it’s ignoring the nose and ears and locks on the eyes with superb hitrate. But then again, I know a few people who own 1dx/1dx2 that “leaves it at Case 1” also so....
1dx mkII, 35 L II, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 01:26:28 PM »

Neutral

• EOS 80D
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 02:59:07 AM »
I disagree.

And the issues I would have liked fixed Servo AF for stills in LV and touch shooting even when AF is not on the trigger, that’s got to be a bug.

OTOH I’m really glad the 1dx2 doesn’t need all those “improved AF”’firmwares the 1d3 and 1d4 had.

Everybody’s talking about the Eye AF from Sony, but fact is it only works when the subject is close. And how come people don’t know about the Face detection in the 1dx2, it’s frikkin’ epic! I’ve used it for a lot of action shots at 200 f2.0 and it just nails it, and it’s ignoring the nose and ears and locks on the eyes with superb hitrate. But then again, I know a few people who own 1dx/1dx2 that “leaves it at Case 1” also so....
In fact better AF was one of the reason for me to upgrade from 1DX to 1DXm2, including face detection and touch AF in live view.  This gave second life to my  EF85f1.2 L on my 1DXm2  body, I was using it mostly on Sony.
But lack of the AF-C in live view was a big dissapointmet and irritation.
I felt angry for Canon limiting camera functionality - if they do AF-C for video this means that this could be done for stills as well, if not done - this is done intentionally by Canon to irritate their users.
This is anothe feature upgrade that I want for my 1DXm2.
In  this respect AF-C for Sony a9  and 1DXm2 is day and night difference in technology level , 1DXm2 is felt now  archaic technology.
And magic about Sony a9 eye and face detection is that it does this in AF-C mode and does it extremly reliably. You can get eye or face AF tracking of person moving erratically, this is just magic for shooting videos of dancing people as well - a9 keep tracing their faces.
You can get eye focus for eye or face at any point accros the frame and then a9  tracks  it to any othe point in the frame.
Or you can get eye or face AF fo person in the center of the frame and then recompose frame in fracton of second and still have AF keeping focus on person eye.
And eye focus of a9 is superior to other a7 bodies, possibly a7r3 getting a bit  more closer to it.
A9 gets eye af even when person is small part of the frame and at such situations eye af even not required as face detection AF is sufficient as DOF is enough to keep whole person body in focus. You ned eye AF only for shallow DOF to keep eyes in focus.
Apologise for any possible typing errors, was using mobile device.

Viggo

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 05:11:09 AM »
I disagree.

In fact better AF was one of the reason for me to upgrade from 1DX to 1DXm2, including face detection and touch AF in live view.  This gave second life to my  EF85f1.2 L on my 1DXm2  body, I was using it mostly on Sony.
I felt angry for Canon limiting camera functionality - if they do AF-C for video this means that this could be done for stills as well, if not done - this is done intentionally by Canon to irritate their users.
In  this respect AF-C for Sony a9  and 1DXm2 is day and night difference in technology level , 1DXm2 is felt now  archaic technology.
And magic about Sony a9 eye and face detection is that it does this in AF-C mode and does it extremly reliably. You can get eye or face AF tracking of person moving erratically, this is just magic for shooting videos of dancing people as well - a9 keep tracing their faces.
You can get eye focus for eye or face at any point accros the frame and then a9  tracks  it to any othe point in the frame.
Or you can get eye or face AF fo person in the center of the frame and then recompose frame in fracton of second and still have AF keeping focus on person eye.
And eye focus of a9 is superior to other a7 bodies, possibly a7r3 getting a bit  more closer to it.
A9 gets eye af even when person is small part of the frame and at such situations eye af even not required as face detection AF is sufficient as DOF is enough to keep whole person body in focus. You ned eye AF only for shallow DOF to keep eyes in focus.

You do realize that face-detection on the 1dx2 is used with normal Viewfinder phase-AF?

Neutral

• EOS 80D
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 09:50:55 AM »
I disagree.

You do realize that face-detection on the 1dx2 is used with normal Viewfinder phase-AF?

Definitely YES )))
I know my every camera inside out.
First thing I do with the every new one is  spending some time researching its features, capabilities and limitations until I have answers to all my questions and also customizing menus and function buttons to my needs.
Face detection is one of the menu options for Viewfinder phase-AF, so it is not possible to miss that - only by people who never read camera  manual and not researching their tool capabilities.

Problem with 1DXm2 phase AF that it is  working only within limited area where Phase detect points are available so 1DXm2  can not track across almost entire frame as A9.  Also 1DXm2 has much less information about the subject in phase AF mode to do reliable face tracking in  AF-C mode so can not track fast moving face reliably.
A9 AF has much more information (up to every pixel) which it gets continuously and directly from the sensor at 60Hz refresh rate so it could do much more intelligent and  reliable decisions for face tracking and any moving objects tracking.
 As I told earlier that proved to be extremely useful and efficient especially in video mode.
I was doing some video clips of people dancing in very dim conditions with AF-C set to wide area and face detect ON.  Camera was tracking people faces in dance like magic over entire frame.  1DXm2 is just not capable of doing that.
Compared to that I feel 1DXm2 AF archaic compared to A9 AF let alone AFMA required to get best lens performance on any DSLR body which should be done on each body individually.
I hate to do AFMA for DSLR , this is one of my strongest irritations and to my mind is a waste of time if  that could be done by camera itself which has all required pieces incorporated to be able to do that.
 The only one thing 1DXm2 does much better than A9 is single point AF-C tracking so I use 1DXm2  now only when I need this feature. And definitely when I need  to take some shots in very harsh conditions which I need only in very rear cases. 1DXm2 is still one of the best camera protected from the elements so I trust it more for that than even Sony A9 which is not too convincing for me yet. Maybe if I had a chance to test it I would change my opinion but I do not want to do that with my camera and put it at any risk.
Since I got A9 I wish Canon to do some features upgrade for 1DXm2 so it could continue to be on par with A9 for performance,versatility and flexibility.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:53:45 AM by Neutral »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
Problem with 1DXm2 phase AF that it is  working only within limited area where Phase detect points are available so 1DXm2  can not track across almost entire frame as A9. 

Seriously?

Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Viggo

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 11:52:27 AM »
I’ve tracked kids in crazy action with face-detection with very very high hit-rate. Maybe you’re doing something wrong?

Neutral

• EOS 80D
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 12:48:06 PM »
Problem with 1DXm2 phase AF that it is  working only within limited area where Phase detect points are available so 1DXm2  can not track across almost entire frame as A9. 

Seriously?
Seriously, yes.
You did not get the point.
Your picture is for PDAF in live view which does not provide AF-C mode  continuous AF / object tracking for stills.
Main Phase AF using mirror and dedicated AF sensor is covering area which you can see in the attached picture from 1DXm2 AF guide.
And this is relatively small.
This is what I was talking about.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 12:48:06 PM »

Neutral

• EOS 80D
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
I’ve tracked kids in crazy action with face-detection with very very high hit-rate. Maybe you’re doing something wrong?

Across entire frame ?
Did you try to do that in extreme low light conditions ?
 I do not argue about ability of 1DXm2 to track faces using mirror AF with dedicated AF sensor  but you still limited to AF area provided by this sensor.
And still 1DXm2 has much less information from AF sensor for face tracking than a9 getting directly from sensor with high refresh rate.
My experience that A9 is doing that much better, but this is my personal feeling.
Someone else could have different experience but could judge  only using both cameras.
I do not have any time to do any kind of scientific test, may be someone will do that at some time.
Also for BIF A9 is much better than 1DXm2  - it can catch bird immediately as it enters the frame and follow it across entire frame. So it is easier to follow bird with long tele lens - you do not need to keep it in center area of the frame - basically you have better tolerance/margin to follow the bird.

Viggo

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »

Across entire frame ?
Did you try to do that in extreme low light conditions ?
 I do not argue about ability of 1DXm2 to track faces using mirror AF with dedicated AF sensor  but you still limited to AF area provided by this sensor.
And still 1DXm2 has much less information from AF sensor for face tracking than a9 getting directly from sensor with high refresh rate.
My experience that A9 is doing that much better, but this is my personal feeling.
Someone else could have different experience but could judge  only using both cameras.
I do not have any time to do any kind of scientific test, may be someone will do that at some time.
Also for BIF A9 is much better than 1DXm2  - it can catch bird immediately as it enters the frame and follow it across entire frame. So it is easier to follow bird with long tele lens - you do not need to keep it in center area of the frame - basically you have better tolerance/margin to follow the bird.

I normally compose my shots before I start tracking, so I see no point in tracking something across the frame, but it can do it, it's just a matter of how I set up the "Case"-settings.

But the real question is, why do you use the 1dx2 if the A9 is the answer to all your issues? I don't buy 1-series because I insist on Canon, I buy it because it's better than anything else for me.

R1-7D

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 02:53:16 PM »
Too bad the firmware doesn't stop the camera's shutter from flinging oil all over my sensor.

R1-7D

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »
Will this fix the shutter-mechanism-oil-spraying-on-sensor issue? Just encountered it after a few million actuations. It's real.

Just checked. Nope, still an issue.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:08:01 PM by R1-7D »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »