August 28, 2014, 05:32:15 AM

Poll

Help me decide which route I should go

1ds MK II - money left over for canon 24-70 2.8L AND 85mm 1.8 or 50 1.4
0 (0%)
5D MK II - Money left over for only the Canon 24-70 2.8L
14 (45.2%)
Wait and get 5DMKIII and deal with IQ issues of my 7D until than.
17 (54.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: I can't decide what to do!  (Read 4038 times)

gputah

I can't decide what to do!
« on: February 14, 2012, 02:00:57 PM »
I have been doing weddings for just over a year now and use and love my 7D, EXCEPT in low light. I'm not completely satisfied with the IQ of the 7D because I'm a pixel-peeper and hate noise. I also find it not quite as sharp, even at iso 100, as I would like it to be. Like many have said before, if it were a FF camera, it would be the perfect camera.  The recent rumors make it seem as if the new 5DMKIII will be just that, a full frame 7D. However, I can't base my decisions on rumors. :)

I am looking at going full frame and gain a bit better low light performance as well as sharper images overall. I have the 7D and use a tamron 17-50 2.8 lens and love it. I also have the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lens. I will sell all of the above to make my purchase. I figure I can buy the 70-200 again in the future and a 24-70 ish zoom would be a must for weddings.

Let me know you 2 cents. Thanks.

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: I can't decide what to do!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 02:06:48 PM »
Just wait a while. In any case, I wouldn't take the 1D, it's too old, it doesn't have that good of an ISO performance. If the new 5D is announced, you will still be able to get a MkII if you want to
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 02:24:43 PM »
I also think it is better to wait and see what comes out at this stage...

SpareImp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 02:29:22 PM »
Since the D800s announcement, I’ve seen countless used Nikon-cameras for sale and I expect it to be no different when/if the 5D Mark III is announced. So you could either get a Mark III or a good deal on a used Mark II just by waiting, which would also give you more money for new glass. If I were you, I would give it until March – at least.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »
I have been doing weddings for just over a year now and use and love my 7D, EXCEPT in low light. I'm not completely satisfied with the IQ of the 7D because I'm a pixel-peeper and hate noise. I also find it not quite as sharp, even at iso 100, as I would like it to be. Like many have said before, if it were a FF camera, it would be the perfect camera.  The recent rumors make it seem as if the new 5DMKIII will be just that, a full frame 7D. However, I can't base my decisions on rumors. :)

I am looking at going full frame and gain a bit better low light performance as well as sharper images overall. I have the 7D and use a tamron 17-50 2.8 lens and love it. I also have the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lens. I will sell all of the above to make my purchase. I figure I can buy the 70-200 again in the future and a 24-70 ish zoom would be a must for weddings.

Even though I voted for your option 2 I'm not convinced that you are on the right track. Here's why:

I personally wouldn't shoot something as important as a wedding without a backup. And where I am right now I don't even feel that I would want to shoot weddings at all because in my opinion you have to be really well equipped for that - both from a skill set perspective as well as far as gear is concerned. And I'd say that is true no matter if you do it for free, for a little fee or for $10,000. But that's my personal stance on it and I don't have to live on photography. The 7D is a very fine camera and should be well suited for what you are trying to do. Only I'd bring a second one and maybe a bit more lens choices and certainly enough light unless you insist of being an available light person - which is then something you have to make clear to your clients and may require indeed a change in your setup.

And let me ask you this: You are a self-proclaimed pixel peeper and you hate noise. What about your clients? Do they complain about "noise" or any grain? What do you do for post-processing? This is all a matter of taste and changing expectations but I personally find myself adding artificial film grain often in low light situations rather than trying remove noise from my 5DII files. I don't pixel peep usually and "hate" the plastic look of high ISO capabilities and NR software. But that's me. Haven't gotten any complaints from my clients about that yet.

I would recommend to not rush anything. If you are getting paid for your wedding jobs see if you can maybe rent a second body and perhaps try out a few lenses that way. And if you have a few bucks left maybe consider a fast prime in your favorite focal range. In the end these are just tools that you'll need to build your business and what counts most are happy couples and in-laws and so forth not if you shot with a 7D or 5DX or whatever.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 03:19:25 PM »
I have another option. Instead of buying a body you could buy a 35mm f1.4L and a 135mm f2.0L (possibly a 85mm 1.8 or 1.2 also if could afford it). That would help with your low light problem of the 7D. I used a 35mm f1.4L on my 7D for my last wedding the entire time (70-200 on a back up body) and it worked well. Never had to shoot higher than ISO 2500 and even then I even then I could have dropped it a little if I wanted to (I was trying to keep 1/320sec or so). The pictures came out great.

I'd suggest do that, or wait.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »

If you haven't been able to get sharp images from your 7D, you either need it repaired, or your lens repaired.  Try a 17-55mm EF-s.

Perhaps if you post some of the images that are problamatic along with the settings you used, someone can give you some tips.  Certainly, higher shutter speeds should be prominent on the list of things to try when looking for sharper images.  Don't just depend on IS.

gputah

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 01:03:39 AM »
I never said I was not able to get sharp images. I have gotten some extremely sharp images with my 7D. However overall I was not completely satisfied with the IQ of the 7D. It is softer than the 5D MK II by quite a bit.
If you go to this site and review ISO performance charts, you will see what I mean: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-7D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx - scroll down about 1/4th of the review to the ISO comparison charts. If you compare the 5D and the 7D, it is obvious how much detail is lost between the sensors, especially in higher ISO. That is my biggest complaint with the 7D, I run into that when I shoot no flash ceremonies and receptions that are low light. I use bounce flash almost every reception, but I would love to limit flash use overall.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:06:21 AM by gputah »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 01:08:25 AM »
If you compare the 5D and the 7D, it is obvious how much detail is lost between the sensors, especially in higher ISO. That is my biggest complaint with the 7D, I run into that when I shoot no flash ceremonies and receptions that are low light. I use bounce flash almost every reception, but I would love to limit flash use overall.
I say wait, at least until the offical announcement then decide.

and don't limit your flash master it instead :)
APS-H Fanboy

gputah

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 01:13:28 AM »
If you compare the 5D and the 7D, it is obvious how much detail is lost between the sensors, especially in higher ISO. That is my biggest complaint with the 7D, I run into that when I shoot no flash ceremonies and receptions that are low light. I use bounce flash almost every reception, but I would love to limit flash use overall.
I say wait, at least until the offical announcement then decide.

and don't limit your flash master it instead :)

I am pretty good with the flash and lighting, however I love taking pictures without drawing attention. You get better candids that way. Its hard not to notice a flash. That would be the only reason to limit it. :)

D.Sim

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 01:51:04 AM »
personally I love the 70-200 for weddings. Selling that would be a mistake, imho...

I'd personally think you'd be better off upgrading your glass - and if you did want to upgrade the body, the 5DII would suffice, as you won't exactly need a high fps performer. I'd still keep the 7D and use it as a backup though...

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 02:44:59 AM »
The 1Ds Mkii also lacks video, which might be important with weddings. 

But they're well built, have good battery life (1,500+ photos per charge), weather sealed, have dual card capability, excellent images at low ISOs, great autofocus.  For what they do well, and at the prices they're going for, they're a good buy.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 02:50:55 AM »
I am pretty good with the flash and lighting, however I love taking pictures without drawing attention. You get better candids that way. Its hard not to notice a flash. That would be the only reason to limit it. :)
I like to shoot that way as well so I think getting rid of the 70-200 would be a mistake. When you put a 24-70 on a FF you'll have less reach than your current 17-50, it's a good choice for outdoor group shots but to catch any candid / intimate moments involving a few people and frame well you'll have to be quite close. Do you use the 70-200 much for weddings at the moment? If so you should probably look at some of your favourite candids and see the focal length used to make sure you won't lose too much length with a 24-70, which would be about the same as 15 - 44 as reported by your current EXIF data.

gputah

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 03:10:26 AM »
I like to shoot that way as well so I think getting rid of the 70-200 would be a mistake. When you put a 24-70 on a FF you'll have less reach than your current 17-50, it's a good choice for outdoor group shots but to catch any candid / intimate moments involving a few people and frame well you'll have to be quite close. Do you use the 70-200 much for weddings at the moment? If so you should probably look at some of your favourite candids and see the focal length used to make sure you won't lose too much length with a 24-70, which would be about the same as 15 - 44 as reported by your current EXIF data.

I hadn't thought of that and I suppose that is one reason why I have the 70-200 and like it so much is because of its reach. If I don't sell the lens, I would only be able to afford a 5d classic. That is if I decided to sell my 7D. I still think the 5D classic out performs my 7d in ISO. But it only goes to 3200 and has very few features compared to my 7D. So not sure I want to go that route.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 03:31:45 AM »
i think your problems are probably your lenses not the camera...  maybe get some L glass?