June 22, 2018, 03:34:27 AM

Author Topic: I'm making a 4:4:4/4:2:2 16/14/12/10-bit codec for Canon DSLR's  (Read 63516 times)

HarryFilm

• EOS M5
Re: I'm making a 4:4:4/4:2:2 16/14/12/10-bit codec for Canon DSLR's
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2018, 08:33:07 PM »
I wonder which will come first:

• The magic codec
  • The mythical Canon medium format camera
  • The total destruction of the earth when the sun becomes a red giant

Given that the first two are supported only by HarryFilm, my money is on #3.

===

Get ready.....cuz it's done....6Dmk2, 7Dmk2, 5Dmk2/3/4....4:4:4 and 4:2:2 wavelet video and stills which DO NOT infringe ON ANY MPEG-LA patents at 16, 14, 12, 10 and 8 bits per colour channel...it will be hosted on GitHub but announced here and linked for download when I have tested it enough to know it won't brick your cameras....

Using an analogy, would YOU WANT Bosch to release the anti-like braking system software that is in nearly EVERY car on the planet BEFORE it is fully tested?

I Didn't think so....!!! Let me complete testing....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2018, 08:33:07 PM »

Orangutan

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2018, 09:32:04 PM »
I wonder which will come first:

• The magic codec
  • The mythical Canon medium format camera
  • The total destruction of the earth when the sun becomes a red giant
Given that the first two are supported only by HarryFilm, my money is on #3.

===

Get ready.....cuz it's done....6Dmk2, 7Dmk2, 5Dmk2/3/4....4:4:4 and 4:2:2 wavelet video and stills which DO NOT infringe ON ANY MPEG-LA patents at 16, 14, 12, 10 and 8 bits per colour channel...it will be hosted on GitHub but announced here and linked for download when I have tested it enough to know it won't brick your cameras....

Using an analogy, would YOU WANT Bosch to release the anti-like braking system software that is in nearly EVERY car on the planet BEFORE it is fully tested?

You could probably get some testing help from the Magic Lantern folks.

3dit0r

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2018, 03:41:50 AM »
Is there a possibility of this coming the original EOS Rebel series (600d, 650d, 700d etc)?

I'm very excited by the prospect of your custom codec - 4:4:4 combined with the EOSHD CLog picture profile would be the Canon cinema dream come true for any colorist (such as myself!)

---

I have generically coded the codec for ARM-based and Intel/AMD/NVIDIA CPU and GPU processors and it works FINE on those. If those EOS Rebel series (600d, 650d, 700d etc) have ARM-based DIGIC processors or x86 cores (some Canon cameras do!) then my codec will work on them! I don't have those particular cameras you mentioned so I can't test on them.

We have here available for testing, multiple Canon 1Dc's, multiple 1Dx mk1 and mk2's, some 5D's mk 2/3/4's, multiple 7D's and 6D's Mk1/2's, some C100's and C200's, Some XC-10's and XC-15's, some C300's, a C500 and some C700's, some Powershot G-series and other pro-level Sony F55/F65/FS7, JVC, Panasonic, Arri and various Red cameras up to the Monstro, so there is no shortage of gear to try my codec on. Of course Android, iOS and Windows mobile will ALSO be supported in the codec because it is coded to be platform agnostic.

If the Rebels are Arm or x86-based CPU cores the CODEC WILL WORK on them!

Watching this with great interest as I'm ordering a 5D Mark IV for a short film I'm making. I can make the movie with it as-is, and it'll be fine, or I wouldn't order one, but if I suddenly had a much more robust codec, it would be the icing on the cake for sure. Thanks for your efforts.

Until you see a public working copy of ANY software, for all practical purposes, it does not exist. Do not make decisions based on random strangers making claims on a website.

Oh come on, could I possibly have been any clearer that I was already buying the 5D4 for the features/specs it already has?

'I'm ordering a 5D Mark IV for a short film I'm making. I can make the movie with it as-is, and it'll be fine, or I wouldn't order one.'

I don't know how that could be phrased much more robustly to indicate that I'm not buying the camera based on potential vaporware.

zim

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2018, 08:45:24 AM »
You could probably get some testing help from the Magic Lantern folks.

+ 1
It would also give much needed credence to all this

bhf3737

• EOS M5
  • ---
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2018, 10:57:02 AM »

===

With all respect for the attempts you may have put into this, the messages you provide as evidence of your work seems to be randomly generated pseudo-scientific text, something similar to what SciGen https://github.com/strib/scigen or similar tools can generate. Inserting a few keywords and it can generate a whole 4-pages paper that seems to be legit to the eyes of uninformed readers. As you are familiar with the GitHub, it is on the GitHub, too.
Please accept my apology if I am wrong and too skeptic of the work. A strong evidence of your work would be an actual working software that can be beta-tested by the community.

ethanz

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2018, 12:32:16 PM »

I am still testing this out and trying to see what the optimal settings are. Keep tuned for more details!

or this could all be bullshit......

But how could the cat man lie?
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2018, 05:22:03 AM »
By changing this burst to only 100Mhz, it takes a full second to process each image and the burst rate falls to only one frame per second, but because everything is running slower, the A/D converters have more settling time, and with the lower temperatures, you end up with about 1.5 stops less noise in the image. This effectively improves the DR of the camera by 1 1/2 stops!

That's interesting, and makes you wonder why Canon don't add a "slow mode" - for some kind of photos where you have time it could be interesting - although I'm sure they are worried of people who activate it and the complain about the camera speed...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2018, 05:22:03 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2018, 06:33:56 AM »
That's interesting, and makes you wonder

You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well known is this: never go up against a Canadian when politely imitative trolling is on the line!
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

HarryFilm

• EOS M5
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2018, 04:17:08 PM »
I have gotten my hand on the software development kit for Canon cameras, and have tried my own experiment.

The clock speed of the CPU on the 5D4 can be changed through a register to any value from 25Mhz to 2Ghz. Above 1.4Ghz, the camera will crash (this is according to the documentation, I have not personally tried it). Normally, the camera runs at 25Mhz (slower clock speeds use less power and you get longer battery life) until a button is pressed, at which point the clock speed is increased in 25Mhz steps to get more computing power,

Video runs at 800Mhz, any faster and the camera will overheat.

When you take a picture, you get a short burst at 1.2Ghz to read the sensor and process the RAW and JPG files. By changing this burst to only 100Mhz, it takes a full second to process each image and the burst rate falls to only one frame per second, but because everything is running slower, the A/D converters have more settling time, and with the lower temperatures, you end up with about 1.5 stops less noise in the image. This effectively improves the DR of the camera by 1 1/2 stops!

I am still testing this out and trying to see what the optimal settings are. Keep tuned for more details!

or this could all be bullshit......

---

Well...from a programmer and engineering point of view ALL OF THE ABOVE
is technically correct and possible, but I would put a heat sink on the chip.
Are you talking about the ARM big.LITTLE dynamic voltage and frequency scaling
pull backs? That is not true throttling and dynamic sleep mode like what
x86's do! And at anywhere up to 100+ microseconds, i need that time for
compression tasks.

The Coretex core on DIGICs only goes to 1.4 GHz so unless you saw something different the 2.0 GHz is out of spec! But it is rather ingenious if that is what has happened.

If you're using a decent Agilent or Lecroy scope you might see the chip doing all this, but since I don't have those, i've had to do it the hard way doing test after test to see if any throttling occurs and whether I can do frame compression at speeds up to 16-to-42 milliseconds per frame depending upon frame-rate.

100 MHz sounds rather low for ANY throttling and it can take MILLISECONDS
to throttle down cores and peripherals on low-power ARM cores unlike what Intel x86 and AMD chips do on their cores instantaneously. That wouldn't allow for me to compress frames fast enough to output to storage. I will look further but so far at 24 fps (42 milliseconds per frame at 1080p) 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 14 bits real colour channel bits (the ADC is only 14 bits), I can live with that for now on the Canon 7D/6D.

Obviously you're educated enough that your words make TECHNICAL sense to me but on a practical sense with DIGIC's specifically I see no such behaviour AND since my equipment is basic, I have to do it the hard way by doing something called CPU Instruction Set Profiling figuring out how fast each instruction is on given set of data so I can keep compression below 42 milliseconds per frame for 24 fps realtime video performance.

CanonFanBoy

• Bipolar. When it is happening I don't realize it.
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2018, 12:15:21 PM »
Don't y'all know who this guy is? He wrote the original Pong program back in the 1970s and then got hired on by... wait for it... Sony to do the VCR program codes and directions. ;D
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

HarryFilm

• EOS M5
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2018, 04:23:57 PM »
and from a different thread.....

HOLODECK! End simulation!!!!!!!!

To put it bluntly, everything that you say is HIGHLY suspect and if I were the administrator of this forum, you would be deleted as a member.

HEY HE HEY! My job is to entertain....I actually work in a warehouse in East Van packaging and snail mailing VHS (!) XXX videos to 3rd world nations who STILL buy them by the truckload! A hella crapolla paying job but it pays for my Saturday night benders which last all the way until the next Thursday! And I get to watch all the multi-national shenanigans I want all day in a general mind-numbing stupor AND I get paid for it! Ya can't beat that!

And not only THAT, my camera is a Nokia Smartphone from 2009! ha ha ha ha ha ha.......

Oh well fooled ya all!

P.S. Gotta go back to fixing our downstairs fully optoelectronic Supercomputer which has 1300 of our 475 TeraFLOPs EACH of 60 GHz monolithic microcircuits. Ergo it IS the world's FASTEST supercomputer by a long-shot .....

Damn it Jim! I'm a Charlatan. Not a Camera Operator!

nobody was fooled. Suspect from the start and many called him on it.

and for the two people who were fooled, sorry, no magic codec.....

===

Sorry! But you're rather WRONG in your assumptions !!!!
You didn't even POST the rest of my comments as see the OBVIOUS sarcasm I was dripping into the conversation. I call that POOR JOURNALISM!

I've done work like this before so this coding is not that big of a deal for me. YOU are NOT taking the risk of MPEG-LA suing YOU for Patent Infringement (ya know the 1.5 to 3 million dollars in lawyers fees that I --ME!-- have to put UP FRONT to ensure YOU have a pot to slurry in) Obviously you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH -- NOT A DAMN THING! about U.S. Patent law and Intellectual Property Rights! How much actual EFFORT is required to make sure a compression algorithm doesn't infringe on patents...in a country where a copyright violation is $150,000 PER EVENT -- A country where 20 year old kids goto prison for 30+ years for downloading "improper" software! Where a decent IP lawyer is between $500 to $1000 PER HOUR and i need to pay up a $50,000 RETAINER UP FRONT before they will even talk with me!

This is AMERICA...where the last time I dealt with a bunch of US attorneys, it was to witness the $6,000 PER HOUR to pay the 12 lawyers in the boardroom at $500 per hour being spent like so much water! So for that 8 hour day that was a $48,000 US lesson in the US legal system. So when YOU have $48,000 US PER DAY (36 000 Euros) to spend on legal fees, then PLEASE DO TELL ME HOW DO MY BUSINESS of software development !!!!

So have some tea and crumpets when I'm done. I'm done and you'll see the final result WHEN I'M ACTUALLY DONE AND TESTED! Plus you wouldn't want to see YOUR CAMERA BRICKED by some wayward fancy-BIOS-trickery software upload would you?
Plus it's OUR $6000 1Dx/x series of cameras and $10,000+ C200/300/500/700s. When YOU have all those cameras yourself and am WILLING to BRICK THEM...then do please email me and I will send you the upload now and you can tell me how it went and THEN tell Canon CPS what you did! Good! You now have a $10,000+ wall ornament...THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU SAY!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:46:44 PM by HarryFilm »

JBSF

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2018, 04:31:12 PM »

To put it bluntly, everything that you say is HIGHLY suspect and if I were the administrator of this forum, you would be deleted as a member.

HEY HE HEY! My job is to entertain....I actually work in a warehouse in East Van packaging and snail mailing VHS (!) XXX videos to 3rd world nations who STILL buy them by the truckload! A hella crapolla paying job but it pays for my Saturday night benders which last all the way until the next Thursday! And I get to watch all the multi-national shenanigans I want all day in a general mind-numbing stupor AND I get paid for it! Ya can't beat that!

And not only THAT, my camera is a Nokia Smartphone from 2009! ha ha ha ha ha ha.......

Oh well fooled ya all!

P.S. Gotta go back to fixing our downstairs fully optoelectronic Supercomputer which has 1300 of our 475 TeraFLOPs EACH of 60 GHz monolithic microcircuits. Ergo it IS the world's FASTEST supercomputer by a long-shot .....

===

You didn't even POST the rest of my comments as see the OBVIOUS sarcasm I was dripping into the conversation. I call that POOR JOURNALISM!

I've done work like this before so this coding is not that big of a deal for me. YOU are NOT taking the risk of MPEG-LA suing YOU for Patent Infringement (ya know the 1.5 to 3 million dollars in lawyers fees that I --ME!-- have to put UP FRONT to ensure YOU have a pot to slurry in) Obviously you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH -- NOT A DAMN THING! about U.S. Patent law and Intellectual Property Rights! How much actual EFFORT is required to make sure a compression algorithm doesn't infringe on patents...in a country where a copyright violation is $150,000 PER EVENT -- A country where 20 year old kids goto prison for 30+ years for downloading "improper" software! Where a decent IP lawyer is between $500 to $1000 PER HOUR and i need to pay up a $50,000 RETAINER UP FRONT before they will even talk with me!

This is AMERICA...where the last time I dealt with a bunch of US attorneys, it was to witness the $6,000 PER HOUR to pay the 12 lawyers in the boardroom at $500 per hour being spent like so much water! So for that 8 hour day that was a $48,000 US lesson in the US legal system. So when YOU have $48,000 US PER DAY (36 000 Euros) to spend on legal fees, then PLEASE DO TELL ME HOW DO MY BUSINESS of software development !!!!

So tick off and when I'm done. I'm done and you'll see the final result WHEN I'M ACTUALLY DONE AND TESTED!

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

scyrene

• My Flickr feed
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »

Oh well fooled ya all!

===

So have some tea and crumpets when I'm done. I'm done and you'll see the final result WHEN I'M ACTUALLY DONE AND TESTED! Plus you wouldn't want to see YOUR CAMERA BRICKED by some wayward fancy-BIOS-trickery software upload would you?
Plus it's OUR $6000 1Dx/x series of cameras and $10,000+ C200/300/500/700s. When YOU have all those cameras yourself and am WILLING to BRICK THEM...then do please email me and I will send you the upload now and you can tell me how it went and THEN tell Canon CPS what you did! Good! You now have a $10,000+ wall ornament...THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU SAY!

I would honestly love to know what drugs you're on.
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »

ethanz

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2018, 05:57:29 PM »

I would honestly love to know what drugs you're on.

Am I allowed to sell some of those to you? Its real good stuff.
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2018, 06:09:40 PM »
I read CR for the humour!

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2018, 06:09:40 PM »