July 23, 2014, 09:09:34 PM

Author Topic: Photo editing software for a new user...  (Read 9677 times)

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
Re: Photo editing software for a new user...
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 11:57:06 PM »
Take a look at Nik software.  You may not have heard of it like LR, but it is very polished, and is a bit different in the way it works its magic.  I use it as a plug in with LR.

I am not so interested in creating great photos from my computer and software but instead my goal is to make great photos from camera, lens, light, technique and skill.  With that being said, I still do some editing with software to make corrections and adjustments such as WB, lens correction, noise, minor exposure, and maybe some perspective correction (since I don't have a TS lens).  Therefore Lightroom seems to be the ideal software for me.  In fact I have never been so wow'd with a piece of software until I downloaded LR3 trial and watch some online tutorials.  I also use DPP and an alternate editor.

(I have also dabbled with PSP, ACDSee Pro, and Elements)

I still consider myself a beginner at photo editing and maybe someday I'll change my tune some and do more extreme editing.

My suggestions are:
- Install DPP from your CD which came with your T3i. 
- Download a trial version of LR.  I see that you can get a smoking deal on LR3 right now but keep in LR4 is right around the corner.
-  Watch these Adobe LR tutorials for starters:

What is LR
Be Organized
Lens Correction and Perspective Correction
Create Stunning Images

[/http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/
sek
Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, 50D Lenses:  24-70 208 II, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 11:57:06 PM »

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 09:42:13 AM »
I'm not sure though about the incentive to upgrade. I don't see anything major in the new version that would be worth any additional money. Haven't tried it yet so this is just from looking at the specs.

The incentive to upgrade is that the older version will stop being supported, and raw images from a new camera model issued after that will not be recognized unless you convert them to DNG or Tiff.

I've been using the LR4 beta, and high ISO images look cleaner, but it might not be a big deal to some.

That's what I mean. I don't see myself buying any new camera model anytime soon and "high ISO" is of little to no interest to me. And even then I find that LR/CS5/CameraRaw does a pretty impressive job as it is yet I still often prefer adding film grain instead of flattening things out with NR.

What I had hoped for in an upgrade was better sync functions and network capabilities for those of us who edit their pictures on more than one computer. Instead we're getting GPS maps and scrap booking and a few renamed sliders. Big whoop.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

erakepio

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 10:04:36 AM »
Dead Pixel,

was in the same boat as you last year, and for a while was using DPP from canon to do some minor tweaks.  Got myself a copy of Lightroom and I've not looked back to be honest.

I still use DPP for my IR images, but as for all my other photography Lightroom does the business.  I've never tried Aperture FWIW, so it probably has a similar sort of feature set, however, All the guys in our creative department at work recommended Lightroom so I went with it.

Since then I've added Photoshop CS5 and photomatix to my collection of software, and to be fair, despite the initial expense, I'm having a lot of fun learning and trying new techniques out.

Lightroom has a 30 day trial as does Aperture I believe, no cost in downloading and giving them a go and see how you get on.

Grigbar

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 05:30:57 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Lightroom-Digital-Photographers-Voices/dp/0321700910/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329776956&sr=8-1

Walk into a local community college or university book store and get some kid to buy LR for you for 60$ and maybe tip him 10 if you cant find it for that price on line. BUY THAT BOOK. Buy it from Amazon, a school here wanted something like 80$ for the book last fall and it was 40$ on amazon at the time. But the program is cheaper with the student discounts schools give.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:34:08 PM by Grigbar »

rstyle17

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 06:41:12 PM »
Question:

Im thinking of buying LR3.. then install it to my laptop, also planning to build a pc by summer, can i still install the LR3 on the new pc im going to build?

Thanks

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Anyone getting started right now should use GIMP.  It's only real draw-back is bit-depth, but that should be gone in year or two.

Del

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 07:37:40 PM »
I started last year with Canon's DPP, hated it, so got LR3 instead cos' I thought Photoshop was too complicated, but then I switched to PS and never looked back.

LR3 is brilliant for processing lots of RAW files if that is all you wish to do. However, PS5.1 Extended 64-bit on my PC is so powerful, great for editing and saving different file types quickly for web, print etc.

Finally, there are so many free tutorials & guides for Photoshop that it is quite easy to learn (especially on YouTube) as well as a huge range of PlugIns.  You can pick-up CS2, CS3, CS4 books for practically nothing and they're just as relevant with CS5. Adobe also have a learning center, plus there is a wealth of pdfs online for PS.

Recently, I picked up a 35mm Slide/Negative scanner and have been scanning 40 to 60-year old family photos directly into PS for processing and colour balancing. Making changes e.g. RGB Curves, Exposure, fixing blown-out flash pics by using additional layers + multiple blending etc. is so easy and so fast!

The key word here is 'extensibility' and PS will be around for years, will be regularly updated, has so many useful features etc., it is worth the investment now that will pay dividends in the future.

Just my 2 cents worth

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 07:37:40 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »
Question:

Im thinking of buying LR3.. then install it to my laptop, also planning to build a pc by summer, can i still install the LR3 on the new pc im going to build?

Thanks

Yes.  You are allowed to install it on one desktop plus a laptop as long as only one is used at a time.  If you move it to a different pc, first go thru the deactivation process or you may end up calling Adobe to deactivate it so it can be reinstalled.  I had to do that, its a bit of a hassle, but at least, it was a person in the USA that spoke english.

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 09:34:44 PM »
Lightroom 3 for $75.00 at Buy.com tonight (7:30 PM AZ time).  This is the student teacher edition  ???  which to me is very odd.

http://www.buy.com/prod/adobe-photoshop-lightroom-3-mac-win-student-and-teacher-edition/220969029.html
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:09:18 PM by RC »

briansquibb

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 11:41:24 PM »
I do most of my work in DPP with a little detailing in PSE9

archangelrichard

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 01:41:55 AM »
Deadpixel

(somehow, in my mind, I see some cartoon character named "pixel" laid out dead on the floor ...... )

Each program is designed by someone for THEIR reasons. What you have to do is try them and find which one works for YOUR reasons. Some will seem "left handed" (commands seemingly hidden or not where you expect them, etc.); some seem overly complicated; they were not designed with you in mind.

What you are getting for advice is more of the "I use ...." rather than why the use, people try for validation rather than information.

This also depends on VERSION; Paint Shop Pro is at version 14 (X4) and if you were looking at version X2 or earlier things have changed somewhat; Lightroom 4 will be different from lightroom 3; Elements 10 is selling for about $50 in some places as 11 is expected soon, and I haven't heard anyone here mention Serif Photo Plus X5; serif free starter edition here http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/AfterShot-Pro-Download-204435.html (it's English, not American),  PSP Ultimate includes Nik Color Efex Pro 3, picture tubes, etc)

I use an OLD PSP version 7 for simple stuff and for organizing because it is so incredibly simple to use; Elements 10 or PSP X3 for heavy duty work (PSP uses Adobe plug ins, filters, etc.) -- they fill my needs (I am not heavy on editing, 90% of what I do is cropping, sharpening and simple brightness / contrast and Red - green - blue adjustments and repair, mostly for other people's pics; and I rarely see the need for anything with the high powered tools; but that is my style of photography,

I do the work in the camera, (we used to call this "available light" - set up everything to be right when you take the shot). Some people will take 1,000's of shots at full auto and then do the choosing and editing at home, that is their style; some people play with a shot until it is unrecognizable from the original scene; that is their style

You have to find what works for YOU so do download the free trials (PSP X4 ultimate v. 14.0.0.332has a 30 day free trial here http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/AfterShot-Pro-Download-204435.html as does Corel Aftershot Pro the workflow organizer  1.0.0.39 here http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/AfterShot-Pro-Download-204435.html; Adobe lightroom 4.o beta expires March 12 (will not run after that date) you need to see if they are announcing on that date or will have a newer Beta released

You have seen GIMP referred to, it;s FREE

diane21

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »
My favorite is ReaConverter photo editing software. I have just downloaded that it contains anything a digital camera owner might need to correct or enhance their photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »