December 14, 2017, 12:40:01 PM

Author Topic: Phase One Releases Capture One 11  (Read 3728 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: Phase One Releases Capture One 11
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »
This is probably a dumb question but with Capture One do you HAVE to put your photos in libraries or collections (or whatever) like you do LR?  I use Bridge because I really dislike the whole "libraries" idea--I put things in folders.  And the filters in Bridge work about perfectly.  But I use DPP for conversion from CR2 to TIF because it yeilds an almost magical 3-dimensional quality that I can't get from Adobe RAW.  OK magical is overstating, maybe.

The advantage of using a library is that the edit control settings are saved for each image along with a reduced size image that goes away after the time you set.  The library contains the key words and data about a image, so you can search by subject, faces, camera, lens, many different parameters.  When you get 100K images, it becomes very important.

Capture one gives you the choice, use a library, or a sidecar.  If you want to find a image, you will have to search by name.

Most editing software now uses libraries, or is heading in that direction.  It makes editing speed much faster, and provides photo management tools.

If you don't need a library, check out some of the other software that uses sidecars instead, or DPP which can update the original file.

The library is there in Lightroom because it was a elegant solution for professional photographers who need to track and find hundreds of thousands of images. 

For the first year, I was puzzled about the library and finally bought a book on how to use Lightroom 2.  After I read thru it and understood why the library was there, I realized what I'd been missing and now use it extensively.

You can choose to get LR to use sidecar (XMP) files too.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 07:02:42 PM »
have lost respect for those with the opinion that C1 does a markedly ‘better’ job of working our RAW files.

That's a funny statement.

Anyway I come from a professional photography background - started working with fashion photographers in NYC. 99% of that world is shooting tethered C1P and Canon or a Phase back, LR doesn't exist.
Again I wouldn't say that Martin Evening is an unbiased source, trust your own eyes and try out both applications. That's what I do whether its Sony/Canon or C1P/LR.

Why?

Comments like
I can't believe people want to use that program to convert their files.

used in the context of higher quality RAW conversions via C1 is demonstrably false.

As for being a pro, I now you are, so what? The first few times I saw New York pros demoing C1 it crashed in every single session. Joey L, Peter Hurley, Susan Stripling, Felix Kunze et al all had crashing issues every time they demoed it, meanwhile I've never had tethered sessions crash in LR, even when you have to jump hoops to get the files in via a watched folder.

The reason C1 got the New York pro market penetration is because for years the only way you could tether Phase One digital backs was via C1. When they opened the software up to enable Canon tethering it was trendy to imply you shot Phase One as well.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

ecqns

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 10:19:23 PM »

The reason C1 got the New York pro market penetration is because for years the only way you could tether Phase One digital backs was via C1. When they opened the software up to enable Canon tethering it was trendy to imply you shot Phase One as well.

Yes C1P used to crash a lot and can still - nothing is perfect. I've seen the program pushed really hard over the years though. Actually using a Phase back or a Sony camera I've almost never had a tether connection drop - Canon is another story altogether. In the early days it wasn't about being "trendy", working photographers couldn't care less I'm sure you know, its just that LR was such crap back then in comparison.

You know C1P has hundreds of ICC profiles you can start with (not just the ones recommended for your camera) and then each of those has other contrast curves you can select. There's even linear response which is totally flat to start with, maybe that's what starting in LR is like. Actually the only time I've come across LR professionally is when someone relies on certain VSCO presets to give that Instagram filtered look.

I'm tired of arguing with you, its too stressful. You will use LR, I will use C1P (unless something better comes out) and others should try everything and see what works for them. But for my work and those of others that I work with and trust (and probably every image in any fashion magazine) its C1P without a doubt.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 10:19:23 PM »