December 15, 2017, 09:04:56 PM

Author Topic: Another Canon EF 135mm f/2L IS USM Mention [CR2]  (Read 8789 times)

scyrene

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • My Flickr feed
Re: Another Canon EF 135mm f/2L IS USM Mention [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 05:22:23 PM »
f2.0?   :(
I think I'd rather have 2.0 and IS vs 1.8 and no IS like the ART.

The difference between f/1.8 and f/2 is essentially negligable anyway. Everybody raves about the current 135L, I don't recall seeing people complain about the aperture.
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 05:22:23 PM »

brad-man

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »
f2.0?   :(
I think I'd rather have 2.0 and IS vs 1.8 and no IS like the ART.

The difference between f/1.8 and f/2 is essentially negligable anyway. Everybody raves about the current 135L, I don't recall seeing people complain about the aperture.

Agree. f/1.8 is bragging rights, while 2.0 with IS is a real world benefit. I'm going to start the bidding at $1600, same intro price as the 85.

angrykarl

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
  • Amateur enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »
Another pricy L glass... Seems to me that Canon now cares only for high-end L glass or shitty APS-C zooms. People who don't need L glass, but who want a better camera/lens (potentially a fullframe) and who would buy lenses like 50mm f/1.4 IS USM or 85mm f/1.8 IS USM are a non-attractive category. I get it, the sales are happening elsewhere. But are there really only two categories? People who buy Rebels and then pros with no price/weight limits?

I always thought the Canon's strategy of not-offering better EF-S glass is to lure people into fullframe. But how many people really jump into fullframe with such a huge money leap? Because it's mostly targetted on pros, the bodies are expensive and so are L lenses (and heavy because f/1.4 etc). The non-L primes are mostly really old. Sure, people could buy older versions of L glass, but that usually means no IS, serious IQ pitfalls and big weight. I would expect Canon to offer more tiers of fullframe bodies and lenses (f/2 or f/2.8, STM, no weather sealing), especially with the potential release of a mirrorless EF fullframe and DSLR sales falling. Canon seems like a split personality, they are luring people in and keeping it an exclusive club at the same time.

Sure, Canon still sells a lot (but mostly Rebels right?), and Canon knows the market best, but it's inevitable that in a couple of years even more people would be happy with cameras in their phones. Which would mean even less people would care for entry-level APS-C cameras. Isn't this the best time to move more people into fullframe, where the prices will inevitably be higher?

Sorry for the rant, I guess I'll just have to get used to the fact I am not the market. ;D
EOS M5 | EF-M 22 | EF-M 18-150 | EF-S 35 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Helios 44-2

bluenoser1993

• EOS M5
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 09:13:51 PM »
But will it work with extenders?

For me that's the biggest plus about the 135 2.0L

+1  I would actually prefer the new 85L IS and sell my 135 for it because the focal length would be better for me in a lot of cases.  The thing stopping me for now is the ability to travel with the 135 and 1.4x and leave the 100-400 home when I'm needing to get through airports with my gear plus assist 4 kids with their stuff.
5Ds, EF 24-70 f/2.8 II, EF 35 f/2 IS, EF 135L f/2, EF 100-400L II, 1.4xTC III

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 01:18:02 AM »
I wonder whether BR will appear here.

As everybody tells you every time you ask this about every new lens, no, BR is only useful for wide angle lenses.

Well, then why don't you explain to me why that is and what makes you say that... other than forum speculation. Show me the facts / data or where Canon says this. Then I'll stop asking. So far only the 35mm f/1.4 II has it. Personally, I think you are wrong. BTW, everybody does not tell me this. Just a few who have no facts to back it up. None.

Geek out over this:
http://lenses.reviewed.com/features/canon-quietly-shows-new-600mm-f4l-do-with-br-optics
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:26:12 AM by CanonFanBoy »
5D Mark III, Canon A-1, Voigtlander Vito, Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC, 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Helios 58 f/2 (x3), Canon FD 50 f/1.8, 600EX-RT (x7), Streaklight 360ws. Jumping ship to SoNikon any day now.

dolina

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 03:44:42 AM »
135/1.8 IS!!!!!!
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

MayaTlab

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 05:56:32 AM »
Another pricy L glass... Seems to me that Canon now cares only for high-end L glass or shitty APS-C zooms. People who don't need L glass, but who want a better camera/lens (potentially a fullframe) and who would buy lenses like 50mm f/1.4 IS USM or 85mm f/1.8 IS USM are a non-attractive category. I get it, the sales are happening elsewhere.

Actually, there's plenty of evidence that at least in terms of volume, the sales are happening exactly right where Canon's current prime lineup is failing the most : mid-range 50 and 85mm lenses (around €500). Heck, on Amazon, the Nikon 50mm f1.4G outsells the f1.8G, despite most reviews stating that the latter is a better buy. Also, Fuji delayed the development of faster lenses in favour of their smaller f2 lineup when they saw how well it was selling.

Canon knows the market best

Relative to other manufacturers ? Most likely. In absolute terms ? They make plenty of mistakes. For example they got the 5DS/5DSR production ratio completely wrong at launch despite the fact that there were very strong indications that the 5DSR would be the most popular of the two.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 05:56:32 AM »

BillB

• EOS 80D
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 06:28:18 AM »
Another pricy L glass... Seems to me that Canon now cares only for high-end L glass or shitty APS-C zooms. People who don't need L glass, but who want a better camera/lens (potentially a fullframe) and who would buy lenses like 50mm f/1.4 IS USM or 85mm f/1.8 IS USM are a non-attractive category. I get it, the sales are happening elsewhere. But are there really only two categories? People who buy Rebels and then pros with no price/weight limits?

I always thought the Canon's strategy of not-offering better EF-S glass is to lure people into fullframe. But how many people really jump into fullframe with such a huge money leap? Because it's mostly targetted on pros, the bodies are expensive and so are L lenses (and heavy because f/1.4 etc). The non-L primes are mostly really old. Sure, people could buy older versions of L glass, but that usually means no IS, serious IQ pitfalls and big weight. I would expect Canon to offer more tiers of fullframe bodies and lenses (f/2 or f/2.8, STM, no weather sealing), especially with the potential release of a mirrorless EF fullframe and DSLR sales falling. Canon seems like a split personality, they are luring people in and keeping it an exclusive club at the same time.

Sure, Canon still sells a lot (but mostly Rebels right?), and Canon knows the market best, but it's inevitable that in a couple of years even more people would be happy with cameras in their phones. Which would mean even less people would care for entry-level APS-C cameras. Isn't this the best time to move more people into fullframe, where the prices will inevitably be higher?

Sorry for the rant, I guess I'll just have to get used to the fact I am not the market. ;D

Inexpensive APS-C zooms, yes, but not all of them are poor quality.  Also, the core EF lens market  would seem to be zooms, not primes, and that is what Canon has been concentrating on for quite a while now.  They have kept the 50mm f1.4 and the 85mm f1.8 on the market for less than $350, and they seem to sell pretty well.  From the reviews, a lot of the sales seem to be to APS-C owners buying their first lenses.  Not sure how well they would sell if they were upgraded with IS and priced over $500, or what Canon's margins would look like.

Canoneer

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 07:38:04 AM »

I'm not sure if optical stabilization works with extenders since it's inherently designed to work with a specific focal length. I'd like to know this as well. Maybe Canon has IS teleconverters?

midluk

• EOS 80D
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 08:04:14 AM »
I'm not sure if optical stabilization works with extenders since it's inherently designed to work with a specific focal length. I'd like to know this as well. Maybe Canon has IS teleconverters?
It works for the 100-400 and 70-200 with IS. It does not really matter for the IS if you put a sensor behind the lens or first a TC and then a sensor. The image leaving the lens is already stabilized, you can do with it whatever you want.
5D4+BG-E20, 70D+BG-E14, EF 24-70 f/4L IS, EF 16-35 f/4L IS, EF 100 f/2.8L IS macro, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, EF 100-400 L IS II, 2x 600EX-RT, 430EX III-RT, MT-26EX-RT

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 08:25:58 AM »
I bet if ahsanford just stopped asking, they'd make the new 50/1.4 IS USM.   ;)

I bet if everyone stopped buying the current 50mm f/1.4 USM they'd make a new one.

That won't happen though!
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

jeffa4444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 10:31:40 AM »
Another pricy L glass... Seems to me that Canon now cares only for high-end L glass or shitty APS-C zooms. People who don't need L glass, but who want a better camera/lens (potentially a fullframe) and who would buy lenses like 50mm f/1.4 IS USM or 85mm f/1.8 IS USM are a non-attractive category. I get it, the sales are happening elsewhere.

Actually, there's plenty of evidence that at least in terms of volume, the sales are happening exactly right where Canon's current prime lineup is failing the most : mid-range 50 and 85mm lenses (around €500). Heck, on Amazon, the Nikon 50mm f1.4G outsells the f1.8G, despite most reviews stating that the latter is a better buy. Also, Fuji delayed the development of faster lenses in favour of their smaller f2 lineup when they saw how well it was selling.

Canon knows the market best

Relative to other manufacturers ? Most likely. In absolute terms ? They make plenty of mistakes. For example they got the 5DS/5DSR production ratio completely wrong at launch despite the fact that there were very strong indications that the 5DSR would be the most popular of the two.
Not so sure I agree with your logic. Firstly they aimed the 5DS/Sr at studio photographers mainly focused on fashion and certain materials give a moire effect without an AA filter even a weak one like they have in the 5DS. Secondly its even more of an issue in shooting video that's why ALL high end camera manufacturers (Red, Arri, Sony, Panasonic) have them fitted in their TV and motion picture cameras.
Granted the 5DS/Sr is not really a high end video camera but it is used for high end fashion and I for one didn't buy the 5DSr because of moire concerns. 
Canon 5DS, Canon 6D, Canon 6D MKII,16-35 f4L IS USM, 17-40 f4L USM, 28 f2.8, 24-70mm f4L IS USM, 24-105 f4L IS USM, 100mm f2.8L IS USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM, 50 f1.8 STM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM II, 1.4EX III, EOS 760D, EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM & others.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »

I can use the same 1.4xIII or 2xIII with my 70-200/2.8L IS II and my 600/4L IS.  The only reason a new 135/2L IS would not work with extenders is of the extra elements for IS alter the optical design such that the rear element is too close to the mount for the lens to accept a TC.

IIRC, Canon did file at least one patent on a TC with IS. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • You might have more or less gear
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 10:38:35 AM »
If I want a high quality ~200mm lens I'll get one. If I want a 135 I'd prefer small optical improvements over the current model, not if it can be expanded to a different focal length.

rbr

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »
I agree with everything you say.  Not everyone needs, can afford, or wants to carry a slow zoom or a sack of heavy and expensive fast L primes no matter what your level of experience is. When the 24/28/35 IS trio came out I thought they were just the first in a new series of nice practical lenses to come out, but that was the end of it.  They need to expand that line with a few more.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »