December 16, 2017, 09:40:30 PM

Author Topic: Lens Rentals have posted a Canon 85mm f/1.4 L IS comparison  (Read 1755 times)

traveller

• EOS 5DS R
Lens Rentals have posted a Canon 85mm f/1.4 L IS comparison
« on: December 08, 2017, 02:49:14 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

Lens Rentals have posted a Canon 85mm f/1.4 L IS comparison
« on: December 08, 2017, 02:49:14 PM »

BeenThere

• EOS 6D Mark II
Re: Lens Rentals have posted a Canon 85mm f/1.4 L IS comparison
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 03:07:52 PM »
Interesting that there was no issue with the Sigma AF.

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »
Thanks, traveler, for the link.

In the pics of the girl in front of woods, why is the background darker and cooler in the ef 85mm f/1.4L IS?  I didn't see any explanation or mention of it, but it certainly stands out as a difference.

LSXPhotog

• EOS M5
    • Kevin DiOssi Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 12:12:43 AM »
When I saw this posted and read it, I realized it was nothing more than click bait. Taking 9-10 images head-to-head is hardly a comparison. The images are incredibly similar and should only support the claims that the new 1.4 is a great lens. With its new benefits of Image Stabilization, quick/reliable AF, and size/weight it shouldn't be so polarizing.

I've had this lens for a little over three weeks and I've been nothing short of impressed. Tomorrow is the REAL test - its first wedding.

- Kevin
- Kevin
1DX Mk II/5D Mk IV/SL2/M5 - 5x Flashpoint XPLOR 600s
Primes: EF 40mm f/2.8| Sigma 50 Art | Canon 85mm f/1.4L | EF 100L Macro | EF 135L | Zooms: EF 16-35 f2.8L III | EF 24-70mm II f/2.8L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L

Larsskv

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Enthusiast with Canon related GAS
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 05:50:57 PM »
I prefer the look in the images from the 85 f1.2.

The Sigma 85ART pictures seem to have a slight “sticker” effect. It is subtle, and better than the 50ART, but I think it’s there.

AJ

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 11:02:34 PM »
Both Canons have too much magenta in the skin color.  The Sigma has better yellows in the background.

Larsskv

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Enthusiast with Canon related GAS
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 02:05:40 AM »
Both Canons have too much magenta in the skin color.  The Sigma has better yellows in the background.

To me, it seems that the sun is absent in the 85 L f1.4 IS shots. The sun is shining through a little bit in the 85L f1.2 pictures, and the sun is shining directly on the background in the Sigma 85 ART pictures.  These pictures aren't very good in terms of comparing color.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 02:05:40 AM »

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »

To me, it seems that the sun is absent in the 85 L f1.4 IS shots. The sun is shining through a little bit in the 85L f1.2 pictures, and the sun is shining directly on the background in the Sigma 85 ART pictures.  These pictures aren't very good in terms of comparing color.

+1!

aceflibble

• EOS M5
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 05:48:57 PM »
In addition to what the others have said, don't forget that your screen's colour is unlikely to match the colour of the screen the files were edited on, and as such your screen may be showing a stronger or weaker representation of one band than another, causing there to appear to be more of a difference in colour between two images which could look closer together on another screen.

Which isn't to say there won't be a difference in colour rendering, because there almost certainly will be between any two given lenses, just that you can never rely entirely on viewing results somebody else has come up with in this fashion.

For what it's worth, I'm looking at this on a 100% sRGB screen here (given these are .jpgs on a regular common website, there's no chance they exceed that colour space) which I recalibrated just two days ago (so not much chance of any colour drift yet) and the difference I see between them in colour is virtually nothing. Certainly nothing which couldn't be equalised with the most minor of white balance shifts (I'm talking +/-50k and +/-5 on tint, here).

A slightly bigger issue is in the main run of 'comparisons', the framing is slightly different. Either these lenses are all showing very random focus breathing (not likely) or they moved a little closer on some frames than others (extremely likely). That does influence apparent resolution, as well as the look of the background, of course.

Anyway, I really don't think it's surprising that the answer is they're all really good and in 9/10 situations you won't be able to tell the difference between them, so buy whichever one is most easily justified within your budget. Nobody should be surprised the old favourite 85mm f/1.2L is good, nobody should be surprised the instant-classic Sigma is good, and nobody should be surprised that a brand new L prime is good.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 05:48:57 PM »