December 17, 2017, 01:35:19 AM

Author Topic: Advice needed: Sony body working on canon lenses?  (Read 692 times)

daniela

• EOS M5
Advice needed: Sony body working on canon lenses?
« on: December 09, 2017, 02:29:11 AM »
Hi Guys!

Can you give me some advice please. Out of guaranteetime, the sensor of my 7D Mk II has been broken and needs an expensive repair.
I saved some money and I am looking for an replacement for my second body. I am happy with my 5D MK IV, but for birding, the higher fps of the 7DII have been fine. More MP for cropping is wanted.
In an near nature reserve, I met an photographer who shot with Nikon and Sony. He used an A9 on an 100-400mm lens for fast passing birds, and I was surprised how fast it worked without any noise. He also told me, the new 7R  will be fast and accurate in focussing too.
So, I am considering to give Sony a chance. Later, maybe an 100-400mm Sony or the rumored 200-600 Sony  will be following. But definitively no 400 2.8 as it will burst my wallet (rumored price between 15-20000$)

My question: I know, there are a lot adapters out there, but which works best on my 500mm&1.4x extender? I know, the fps will be lower, but what is about the AF?

Thank you a lot.
Daniela
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:40:55 AM by daniela »

canon rumors FORUM

Advice needed: Sony body working on canon lenses?
« on: December 09, 2017, 02:29:11 AM »

candc

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Advice needed: Sony body working on canon lenses?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 08:31:33 AM »
i have have the a7rii and have used canon, tamron, and sigma lenses along with the metabones IV and sigma mc-11 adaptors. in general: longer fl = poorer af. the new sony bodies are supposed to be better and work great with native lenses but i would stick with a canon body for canon supertele lenses.

a7rii/a7riii cropped to aps-c is about the same pixel density as 7dii. i would get yours fixed or get another one.

5dsr would give you full frame with the same density if you need it.

setterguy

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:41:57 AM »
Daniela:
Sorry to hear about your 7DII but I have over the last two years shifted my emphasis to Sony now owning a A7II and hoping to upgrade in the future to a A7RIII or theA9 however I have lots of Canon "L" glass and what I have done is to use the Sigma MC-11 which works very effectively on most Canon lenses although it does not work on the 100-400mm f4.0-5.6 but does work on the 70-200mm 2.8 very well.  The good thing about the Sigma adapter is that Sigma continues to update the firmware which you can download directly to the adapter. Sony is expanding their lens line but they are very expensive. Recently I bought the F4 24-70mm L lens and it has become my general carry around lens. I shoot mainly landscape. I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your decisions. I have learned to love the product albeit it very complex and has capabilities beyond my level of expertise but learning every day.

ecqns

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:22:42 AM »
I use the a7r2, Metabones IV adapter and a Canon mount Sigma 100-400 and it performs better than I expected.
I just figured out that the Sigma has push/pull as well as a rotating zoom.
I would expect that the a7r3 or a9 would be even better than the a7r2 for AF. I use the metabones adapter with that Sigma and Canon lenses without issue.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 11:56:40 AM »
IF you plan to shoot with Sony A9 or A7r III, I would HIGHLY recommend native FE lenses.

I'm currently shooting with A9 and AF tracking is SUPER. I had Canon 1Dx in the past and I can say A9 is a better.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 11:56:40 AM »