December 11, 2017, 06:33:25 AM

Author Topic: Backup EOS Body: M5/adapter or SL/2?  (Read 1048 times)

hmatthes

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • 6D, SL1, 35/1.4, 17-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8
    • Matthes Images Website
Backup EOS Body: M5/adapter or SL/2?
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:52:09 PM »
When Canon produces a FF mirrorless, that will be my 2nd body!
But right now, I only have a small bit of space available in my kit and I would love to have a 2nd body for my EF lenses.
Small is important.   IQ on both are adequate if the primary body fails, is dropped, or a 2nd body for portraits.
If Canon would bundle their EF adapter with the M5 I would go that route (and get a Leica M lens adapter as well!)
Today I'm carrying my wife's SL/1 which continually amazes me with lovely 18meg RAWs...

Opinions?

canon rumors FORUM

Backup EOS Body: M5/adapter or SL/2?
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:52:09 PM »

Bennymiata

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Re: Backup EOS Body: M5/adapter or SL/2?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:24:05 PM »
The M5 and SL2 both share very similar sensors and processors, so their output with the same lens will be almost indistinguishable.
I have an M5, and it is a very capable camera, but some ef lenses aren't as fast to focus as the native M lenses, but most L lenses seem to focus almost as quickly as a good dslr.
Here in Australia the ef lens converter comes in the box.

The SL2 will be faster focussing (but not as accurate as the M5) and a bit bigger to carry around.
However, the M5 is a lot of fun to use, and the touch focus as you look through the viewfinder is fantastic.

I haven't used an SL2 so I can't really comment although I have a 70d (and a 5d3) and it's just like using any other dslr.
The M5 is small and a joy to use.

Jaysheldon

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:47:43 PM »
One thought is find an SL1 -- either new or used -- because you're used to it. Then no fiddling with adaptors. If not, chose the SL2 because its close to the SL1 (familiarity) and the focus button on the back is in the same place as the SL1, above the *button (note they are reversed on the M5 -- although perhaps they can be changed through a menu).

Note the following on the M5 review from DPReview: "intentionally half-pressing before shots or keeping the shutter half-pressed between shots will result in the most responsive experience (because focus and exposure are already locked), but if you take your finger off the shutter button and then mash it (perhaps to capture an unexpected moment), you'll be greeted with a solid delay before the camera fires, even if your subject hasn't changed much in depth. Unfortunately, even attempting to circumvent the camera's need to lock focus and exposure by enabling back-button (or manual) focus and shooting in full manual doesn't resolve this issue."
Bodies: 6D, 60D, SL1 and 30D. Lenses: EF-S 17-85, EF-S 18-55, EF 24, EF 70-200 F4 IS

aceflibble

• EOS M5
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 09:59:55 AM »
If you're used to and happy enough with the SL1, get the SL2. It's the same, just better in every single regard. An SL2 with the EF-S 24mm & EF 40mm 'pancake' lenses works wonderfully for environmental and looser-cropped portraits. Obviously if you want to do anything tighter or with more variation in depth of field then you'll need a longer and faster lens, but it sounds like you already have that covered. There are also a lot of compact APS-C zooms these days which are much better quality than the old 'kit' zooms, which pair very nicely with the SL2. (The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 compares pretty well to the 24-105 f/4 L, considering how much cheaper, smaller, and lighter it is.) Of course if you already have a lot of lenses which will work well for you then that's another tick in favour of the SL2; the full-size Canon lenses are really awkward and unbalanced on the M5, and while the SL2 isn't a perfect match for them, it's at least a little closer with slightly more surface to grip.

One thing to remember is the SL2 can be used like a mirrorless camera or like an SLR, whereas the M5 is 'stuck' as a mirrorless system. Now, I don't think mirrorless is bad at all—these days all of my personal shooting is done with Fuji mirrorless cameras, while my Canons have been relegated to work only—but it does still have significant limitations and quirks (more battery drain, AF trades speed for accuracy, etc) which won't suit everyone. The SL2 offering both shooting styles in one body makes it really very ideal as a backup. You can get all the advantages of mirrorless by using the SL2 with live view when you can afford it, and when you need to save battery or focus that little bit quicker or if you just prefer using an optical viewfinder, you've got that option.

You're unlikely to ever end up using the SL2 primarily (or the M5, for that matter) over any other cameras you already have, but as a space-saving "2nd body for portraits", it's pretty ideal. The only cameras which provide better functionality and quality are either bigger (35mm sensor Canons) or would require whole new lens kits (Fuji, Sony, etc).

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 10:47:32 AM »
One important point for the M5 vs SL2 in live view hand held. You can use the EVF of the M5 with telephotos and brace the camera against your cheek whereas with the SL2 you wave the camera at arms length.  I have just been using the M5 with the lightweight Tamron 100-400mm, and find they work beautifully together. So, for my particular needs, the M5 is a useful back up.
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

ritholtz

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »
SL2 is cheaper compared to M5. If you are not planning to buy M lens, SL2 might be a better option.
70D, 10-18mm, 17-50mm F2.8, 85mm F1.8, 55-250 STM.

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »
I am loving my M5 as a companion to the 5D3. I have tried the SL in the past and it was a let down in terms of ergonomics and noise. The SL2 might be better but the M5 with native glass gives me none of those issues. Plus,certain adapted lenses just shine. (50 1.8 STM, 100L macro)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »

dak723

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 12:38:07 PM »
If you are going to use your EF lenses, then I think there is no real discussion - go with the SL-2 (or even SL-1).  I originally bought the M5 with adapter, but using the larger EF lenses was very uncomfortable and unbalanced.  The M5 is great with the native lenses, but unless you really want to go mirrorless and EVF, then I'd choose the Sl-2.

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »
If you are going to use your EF lenses, then I think there is no real discussion - go with the SL-2 (or even SL-1).  I originally bought the M5 with adapter, but using the larger EF lenses was very uncomfortable and unbalanced.  The M5 is great with the native lenses, but unless you really want to go mirrorless and EVF, then I'd choose the Sl-2.

I would think using larger lenses with the adapter on any M series body would be a given that they would not be ideal. The 100L works due to it's light weight and slim barrel (plus the FFE of macro at 160mm is nice with live view and dpaf)

hmatthes

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • 6D, SL1, 35/1.4, 17-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8
    • Matthes Images Website
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »
Thank you everyone. I’ll continue using the SL/1 until a low priced refurbed SL2 becomes available.
Another reason was discovered yesterday when I had to shoot a video. My 6D just flipping refused to servo focus while the little SL/1 was faultless with a 50mm STM acting just like the 85 I had on the 6D. No need for FF sensor anyway.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 02:08:11 PM »
I bought the sl2 over the M6 simply because it uses native EF lenses, and cost $500.  I have been very pleased.  the flip out ans rotate lcd screen with touch works so well that I seldom use the optical finder.  My battery life exceeds my expectations, and unlike the M series, the user interface and features is tha same as other EOS APS-C bodies, which means it can be tethered by wire to a PC for remote control.  A AC adapter is available to power it continuously from AC, it is a very good value.

I can fold out the lcd and hold the camera against my body for extra stability if needed for long exposures.

Dual Pixel AF is a big improvement.  I'd look for special deals at Christmas time and get a new one rather than waiting for $50 off on a refurb deal next year.  The $449 deal for SL2 plus lens may appear again for Christmas, its expired now.  Watch for it, they sold out in short order.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 02:08:11 PM »