February 25, 2018, 09:11:33 AM

Author Topic: Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS Sport & Sigma 70-200 f/4 OS Contemporary Coming? [CR1]  (Read 5902 times)

danski0224

• EOS 5DS R

I'd rather have their main purpose to be higher end then be muddled down by multitasking. Do one thing well instead of many mediocre. Now I know that my earlier comment of hoping for a better AF motor like the 85/135 is unrealistic since a prime motor is very different than that for a zoom however it seems Sigma has grown in leaps and bounds in this area in the past two years so it might still hold somewhat true.

The macro designation on a prior 70-200 is more "close focus" than true macro, much like the Canon 100-400.

canon rumors FORUM

Khufu

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Drew K Forrest Art & Photography FB

I'd rather have their main purpose to be higher end then be muddled down by multitasking. Do one thing well instead of many mediocre. Now I know that my earlier comment of hoping for a better AF motor like the 85/135 is unrealistic since a prime motor is very different than that for a zoom however it seems Sigma has grown in leaps and bounds in this area in the past two years so it might still hold somewhat true.

The macro designation on a prior 70-200 is more "close focus" than true macro, much like the Canon 100-400.
The old 24mm f/1.8 DG MACRO isn't technically macro in magnification either, but it focuses right infront of the lens and produces amazing results! The new f/1.4 ART version doesn't do that...
5D3 // EOS M2 & SL1 // Sigma 24/1.8 & 50/1.4 // Canon EF 400/5.6L & 100/2 // Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 // SONY HDR FX1000  // Zoom H1 // Paints, Pens & Pencils!... USA Strat, Mexican Tele, Warwick Thumb 5 ;)

picturefan

• EOS Rebel T7i
Let's hope Sigma will bring their best techniques to the lenses. In my opinion, both the 2.8 and 4.0, need to be as "good" as the competitors offerings. Of course, the 70-200 2.8 L IS II is hard to beat, but Tamron's new one seems to be nearly as good, so Sigma has a new benchmark. Also, both new Sigma offerings should provide a kind of weather-sealing. Tamron has coupled good lenses with good mechanics. Sigma's Art lenses has lack of weathersealing. For me a no-go.

I do think that Sigma's Global Vision line brought back the company to serious competition, but I also think that their best lenses should have best optics plus best mechanics ("A+S combined").
I would never compare Eos 5DmkII with 7DmkII (FF vs. APSC; 2008 vs. 2014). Apples and oranges. But I think that all newer Eos 5D should have same build-quality as 7DmkII.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:06:02 PM by picturefan »

canon rumors FORUM