February 19, 2018, 09:16:28 PM

Author Topic: Kickstarter: The Universal Lens Cap by KUVRD  (Read 11090 times)

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
Re: Kickstarter: The Universal Lens Cap by KUVRD
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 05:39:21 PM »
Just a first glance look at this thing:...

...this appears to be a textbook example of a solution looking for a problem, or possibly someone with tunnel vision on one design concept despite it blowing up 6-7 other requirements that are already being well met with current technology. 

I was tempted to dissect this as well, but you've done a great job.

Can't resist adding:

I believe the video specifically mentions the beach and/or sand. I can just imagine the damage these things would do once you get some sand inside and it starts to grind into your lens.

I could not believe they were actually suggesting that these rubber sleeves would provide any real protection for a lens that gets dropped (as shown in the video). They better put aside a significant portion of their proceeds to hire a good attorney when some fool bounces his lens on the ground and then points to the video as an implied promise that their little sleeve was supposed to protect the lens.

I really do hope that they call the largest size "magnum."

Thanks CR Guy for posting this. It's a fantastic break from all the dreary fights over Canon's impending doom.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:41:23 PM by unfocused »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 05:39:21 PM »

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Waiting for the right 85 & 135
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 06:10:10 PM »
"Thanks CR Guy for posting this. It's a fantastic break from all the dreary fights over Canon's impending doom."

AND endless yammering about 85mm lenses. Wait...will this fit my 85?
soul stealing magic boxes and black tubes

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
I could not believe they were actually suggesting that these rubber sleeves would provide any real protection for a lens that gets dropped (as shown in the video). They better put aside a significant portion of their proceeds to hire a good attorney when some fool bounces his lens on the ground and then points to the video as an implied promise that their little sleeve was supposed to protect the lens.

I believe they did this to show that the silicone stays in place even in the event of a drop, something a traditional lens cap typically won't do.  But I agree, it's irresponsible to imply you are drop-proofing your lens.  Try that same test with a heavier lens and it won't matter if there's a small margin of silicone -- that lens would be toast.

- A

RGF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 07:00:55 PM »
"Thanks CR Guy for posting this. It's a fantastic break from all the dreary fights over Canon's impending doom."

AND endless yammering about 85mm lenses. Wait...will this fit my 85?

Should this have been posted on the first day of April?

Ah-Keong

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 08:35:39 PM »
I was thinking why don't use a waterproof cloth like material and wear it like a sock.

Canon 7D Mark II | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART| EF 70-200mm f/2,8L
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |

davidcarlyon

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 10:36:04 PM »
Just a first glance look at this thing:

11) Takes 2 hands to put it on and remove it, judging by the video

davidcarlyon

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 10:37:48 PM »
These are ribbed, for her pleasure.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 10:37:48 PM »

Talys

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 03:38:18 AM »

I believe they did this to show that the silicone stays in place even in the event of a drop, something a traditional lens cap typically won't do.  But I agree, it's irresponsible to imply you are drop-proofing your lens.  Try that same test with a heavier lens and it won't matter if there's a small margin of silicone -- that lens would be toast.

- A

That's like saying, if you wrap your glass tabletop real tight with a few layers of shrinkwrap poly before you wack it with a hammer, the glass will still retain its shape even though it's broken into a thousand bits and is unusable as a tabletop :D

But then again, to demonstrate how they don't fall off, in the video, they also take a mounted lens and wack it against a table a few times, lol.

Seriously, though, this lens cap will looks like it's tight-fitting, and is described as both water/dust resistant and fitting a huge variety of lens diameters.  That means that it must fit tightly, which sounds like a pain (and slow) to both put on and take off, compared to traditional lens caps.

Also: what about lens hoods?  It doesn't seem possible to store a lens with hood, either facing forward or reversed, with this cap.

And finally, a lens cap is supposed to protect the outer element from light damage like incidental scratches.  It's not supposed to replace a pelican case.

snoke

• EOS M5
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 07:08:17 AM »
Kurvd lens cap not lens cap.
Is lens condom.

infared

• EOS 5DS R
  • Kodak Brownie!
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 08:17:58 AM »

LOL!!!!!!!!!!😂
5D III +BG, 5D IV +BG, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Rokinon 15mm f/2.4,  Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 35mm f/1.4L II, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f/1.2L,  Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II & 1.4x III

eosuser1234

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 09:21:45 AM »
Even they take a patent on something like this, it will be mass produced in China by some chinese factory and sold on cheap sites for 1/10 of the price.  The cost of this is very little after the molds are made.  A factory who can make the mold themselves, can put them out for pennies.
Who knows, maybe the factories will make knock off versions with Canon and Nikon printed on the tops, like they already do for plastic injection molded lens caps. 

As much as I applaud them for making this, cheap photo accessories are a dime a dozen these days. 
EOS 6D, EOS 7DmII, EOS M, EOS M3, EOS M5, EF 8-15mm Fisheye F4.0L, EF 17-40mm F4.0L, EF=EF 35mm F2, EF 40mm F2.8, EF 50mm F2.5, Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art, EF 85mm F1.8, EF 70-200mm F2.8L, EF 2x, EF 1.4x mk2, EF life size converter, EF-S 24mm EF-M 11-22mm, EF-M 22mm, EF-M 18-55mm, EF-M 55-200mm, Rokinon 8m

KUVRD

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • KUVRD
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 10:35:30 AM »
I have an idea for an even better, more protective universal lens cap...with even more bounciness!  Where can I get kickstarted?   ;)

Holy Canoli this is hilarious! I'm making this my screensaver!!

KUVRD

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • KUVRD
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »
I can't believe that more than 500 people thought this was a good enough idea to actually pledge money for this product.

Or maybe, they just have really big families.

580 at this point! :) Well, this is our thought. With a Lifetime Warranty and a free 30-Day Money Back Guarantee from when you receive the product, we feel that this is a good approach to showing people we're not here to screw them out of their money. We're all photographers here and hope that the Universal Lens Cap provides a benefit to each of our photography is really our main hope! But who know, maybe there are just a lot of big families out there!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »

KUVRD

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • KUVRD
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 10:47:13 AM »
I was just talking to my preteen son about how things that try and do everything do many things only mediocre to poorly and things that have solitary purpose tend to do them much better. But hey, I don't have a marketing degree.

We feel the exact same way! Complexity creates confusion, simplicity stimulates growth. The two biggest issues we've found with lens caps are that they always pop off and they only fit a specific filter ring diameter. Once we went through 6 molds, trying to create something that fixed these issues, we also found that the Universal Lens Cap has a whole host of other features, ones we were totally unaware of! Being Waterproof, Dust-Proof, Shock-Absorbent, functioning as a Front & Rear Lens Cap are ALL second to the Universal Lens Cap being 'Universal' (fitting every DSLR & Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera Lenses) and that it doesn't fall off! Anyways, sorry to talk your ear off, just wanted to say that we are in total agreement with each other about things trying to do a hundred different things at once!

KUVRD

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • KUVRD
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »
I am really, really hoping the Kuvrd person will see this thread and react like that crazy filter guy and start picking fights. We could use the entertainment.

Haha, you think I would, but I'm actually getting a kick out of reading all this! Some of you guys come up with some pretty funny stuff! Keep up the good work!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »