May 23, 2018, 01:14:15 PM

Author Topic: buy a 1DX used now or wait to buy a 5D4 later  (Read 10813 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
Re: buy a 1DX used now or wait to buy a 5D4 later
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 02:54:11 PM »
One feature nobody is mentioning is the exposure metering at the focusing point. In my case, shooting concerts required the ability to properly expose the image without recomposing. Taking into account the fast movoement and continuously changing lights, 1DX beats the 5D4. . .

pierre

I'll second this: I have both the 1DX & 5D4, and for ease of handling, the smaller body is much more preferable, but for control & customisation the 1DX wins.

I always end up wishing I had my spot metering linked to the focus point.

You will be very happy with either, just depends on your use case.

I find any kind of auto exposure utterly unworkable at concerts, I use manual mode exclusively. Indeed I find very little practical use for the AF linked spot metering and wouldn't give a seconds thought if it were omitted or deleted.

I was taking pictures of a lady playing a fiddle... dark background, dark vest, but a white shirt on. On spot exposure, as her arm moved in and out of the spot, the exposure changed..... best example I have for why to not leave exposure as automatic.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 02:54:11 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 02:59:45 PM »
...I find very little practical use for the AF linked spot metering and wouldn't give a seconds thought if it were omitted or deleted.

I'm in that camp as well. I think it is one of those things that is a matter of personal preference. In fact, if it weren't for all the people on this forum talking about linked spot metering I wouldn't even know it existed or that I have it on the 1DX II. I just added the 5DIV as a second body and haven't seen any difference in metering.

What I do notice, however, is the silent shutter. I was used to the 5DIII, when I bought the 1DX II and always found the loud "silent" shutter distracting. So glad to have the option of using the 5D IV in situations where discretion is needed.

jolyonralph

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 04:03:48 PM »
It doesn't really make much sense.

"Hello, I'm a musician. Should I buy a used piano now or wait to buy a saxophone later?"
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

Jack Douglas

• http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 04:16:08 PM »

"Hello, I'm a musician. Should I buy a used piano now or wait to buy a saxophone later?"

Buy the piano right now and enjoy it.  You might be dead tomorrow. ;)  Makes perfect sense to me.

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

Jack Douglas

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 04:29:49 PM »
Metering linked to focus point - I'm using it often for my little birdies in the trees shot @560 or 800 and don't find it letting me down too often.  However, I tend to go manual, especially if there is a chance the focus point may deviate from the subject.  I'm happy to have that option and others that the 1 series give.
My favorite is the illuminated focus points but the 1DX is lacking that.

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

unfocused

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 04:52:45 PM »

Huh? I'm afraid it is your comment that makes no sense.

A better analogy would be: "Should I buy a used Steinway now or wait to buy a new Boston?"

But, even that is a poor analogy because a used Steinway isn't significantly different from a new Steinway. The 1DX is a great camera, but it still uses older technology. The discussion here is about the wisdom of buying old technology when newer technology is available. Opinions differ, but the question is legitimate and makes perfect sense.

jolyonralph

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 04:57:19 PM »
The point being the 1DX and the 5D IV are different tools aimed at (slightly) different markets.
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 04:57:19 PM »

AlanF

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 05:00:05 PM »

A better analogy would be: "Should I buy a used Steinway now or wait to buy a new Boston?"

But, even that is a poor analogy because a used Steinway isn't significantly different from a new Steinway. The 1DX is a great camera, but it still uses older technology. The discussion here is about the wisdom of buying old technology when newer technology is available. Opinions differ, but the question is legitimate and makes perfect sense.

My wife prefers the used Steinway I bought her to the new Canon 100-400mm II + 5DSR. It takes all types I am afraid.
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

Jack Douglas

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 05:09:22 PM »
Alan doggedly logical as usual! ;)

Jack

unfocused

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 07:13:52 PM »

My wife prefers the used Steinway I bought her to the new Canon 100-400mm II + 5DSR. It takes all types I am afraid.

My wife settled for a new Boston, but then again...she also stole my 100-400mm II. So I guess we are about even.

Valvebounce

• Doing my best to get all of this to work together.
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 08:15:09 PM »
Hi Jolyonralph.
Didn’t another recent post already conclude that no one seems to care where Canon aimed their tools, people will use them for what they want anyway. Plus I don’t think they are different tools in as much as they are both camera tools with the same aim of capturing light to make images.  :)

Cheers, Graham.

The point being the 1DX and the 5D IV are different tools aimed at (slightly) different markets.
7DII+Grip, 1DsIII, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 1.4xIII, 2xIII, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l IS II, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, Filters, Remotes, Macro tubes, Tripods, heads etc!

1DsIII, 20D, 24-105, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned

beachcolonist

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 09:50:47 PM »
In auto with the possibility of a moving subject & a spot meter, you fix the exposure by exposing a distinct properly chosen area of mid value reflectance, then reframe and shoot. If you wish to not have to reframe but the subject (arm) may move, then don't use the spot meter in auto. Use the averaging meter, which will not change just because an arm moves into the spot area, as it averages the whole scene. The meter may be partially or fully auto, but the brain of the shooter is free to think about what's happening and control outcomes ie the camera is not the boss. And if it is not presumed here, do set up and use a "back focus button" rather than associating the exposure control with the shutter button. That's like having automanual exposure

The 1DX vs 5D4 controversy is artificial. The former is for high volume journalism and reportage, the later for commercial type work. Photo bugs, fashionistas, artists, and hobbyists should also get the less bulky unit. If you going to a war zone, get the big boy, you can cover your head with it. ;)

This is my first post here, I find the layout rather much unreadable (learning curve I am sure) so if this replies to the wrong post, please understand I did spend some time reviewing the situation and decided to give it a sporting try.

Viggo

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 02:52:50 AM »
One feature nobody is mentioning is the exposure metering at the focusing point. In my case, shooting concerts required the ability to properly expose the image without recomposing. Taking into account the fast movoement and continuously changing lights, 1DX beats the 5D4. . .

pierre

I'll second this: I have both the 1DX & 5D4, and for ease of handling, the smaller body is much more preferable, but for control & customisation the 1DX wins.

I always end up wishing I had my spot metering linked to the focus point.

You will be very happy with either, just depends on your use case.

I find any kind of auto exposure utterly unworkable at concerts, I use manual mode exclusively. Indeed I find very little practical use for the AF linked spot metering and wouldn't give a seconds thought if it were omitted or deleted.

What do you do when then light suddenly lights up and blow out your M setting? With Av, spot linked to AF and limited lower shutter you’ll get every shot perfectly exposed, from flood light to cave. I LOVE spot meter on AF point :D

That said, choosing between the 1dx mk1 and 5d4, I would go with the 5d4 unless there was specific features I must have that only the 1dx has.
1dx mkII, 35 L II, Zeiss 50 f2 mp, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 02:52:50 AM »

sanj

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 04:23:37 AM »

No sense.

sama

• EOS 80D
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 11:36:23 PM »
I am grateful to everybody for the suggestions and advice.

I have given too much thought to it and the camera was sold. But I don't regret it at all.

I agreed that the 5D4 is a better choice to me with it's lighter weight (for me to carry around) and the new technology.  BTW, I have four LP E6/LP E6N batteries and I don't have to invest in a new battery for the 1D.

One more important factor for the decision - my wife strongly objected me buying a very old (really ?) camera. haha

Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 11:36:23 PM »