January 16, 2018, 08:39:50 AM

Author Topic: buy a 1DX used now or wait to buy a 5D4 later  (Read 4839 times)

telemaq76

• EOS M5
    • https://500px.com/NicolasSchneider
Re: buy a 1DX used now or wait to buy a 5D4 later
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2017, 12:37:03 AM »
i have a 1ds3, oooold camera 2007 and a 1dx, i had a 5d2 and 5d3, and my fav is still 1ds3 for image quality.  i wont change a 1d for a 5d, no matter if it s a mk2, mk3, or mk12. try them and decide if you enjoy a 1d- serie or you pefere something lighter like a 5d series.
1dx,1ds3,700da, tamron 15-30 2.8,  24 1.4 II,sigma 50 1.4 art, 85 1.2II, 100L ,400 5.6, x2 II,x1.4 III, 70-200 2.8 is II ,canon 500 f4 is

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2017, 12:37:03 AM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2017, 04:38:23 PM »
One feature nobody is mentioning is the exposure metering at the focusing point. In my case, shooting concerts required the ability to properly expose the image without recomposing. Taking into account the fast movoement and continuously changing lights, 1DX beats the 5D4. . .

pierre

I'll second this: I have both the 1DX & 5D4, and for ease of handling, the smaller body is much more preferable, but for control & customisation the 1DX wins.

I always end up wishing I had my spot metering linked to the focus point.

You will be very happy with either, just depends on your use case.

I find any kind of auto exposure utterly unworkable at concerts, I use manual mode exclusively. Indeed I find very little practical use for the AF linked spot metering and wouldn't give a seconds thought if it were omitted or deleted.

What do you do when then light suddenly lights up and blow out your M setting? With Av, spot linked to AF and limited lower shutter you’ll get every shot perfectly exposed, from flood light to cave. I LOVE spot meter on AF point :D

That said, choosing between the 1dx mk1 and 5d4, I would go with the 5d4 unless there was specific features I must have that only the 1dx has.

Er roll either or both the shutter dial below my forefinger and back dial below my thumb depending on if I want to change the shutter speed and or aperture.

Auto exposure of any kind on any point would have gotten you into trouble with any of these examples. Very dark complexions with white suits, or black suits and hats, wildly changing light levels, very heavy flaring backlight etc etc.

You guys remind me of the people at the camera club that complain that their bird photos get marked down because the pose of the bird is weak when others who spend far more time doing it get the perfectly posed shots. Put the time in, do the work and use the camera any way it works for you. For me I wouldn't be working a dynamic concert scene in anything but M mode despite having AF point linked exposure control.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2017, 08:14:23 PM »
Hey Scott, I don't have enough years left to acquire anything close to your dextarity!  For quite some time I never considered using manual.  Then comments from good photographers nudged me in that direction and over time I've come to actually prefer it a lot of the time.  I've even found myself guessing at settings and being pretty close and there to the right is an analog meter that gives me feedback.  However, my background was with an F1 that I'd point at different objects to see the reading and then mentally average so that concept is still with me.

When not manual I have spot metering linked to the focus point and have few complaints.

It's not always easy to understand or remember all the good advice on CR so my efforts are full of failings but with some rewarding shots on occassion.  I'd sure love to be tied to your coat tails.

BTW, it's very kind of you to post sample shots that illustrate your points!

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2017, 08:14:23 PM »