February 24, 2018, 05:33:17 PM

Author Topic: Does anyone still love their old gear?  (Read 9277 times)

cpsico

• EOS 6D Mark II
Does anyone still love their old gear?
« on: December 17, 2017, 09:46:39 PM »
I still have my positively ancient 1ds Mark III and it is my go to camera for long outings. I still love the old canon color profiles. In all fairness even the 6d beats it in most areas and the 5d IV mops the floor with it, but there is something about the 1d bodys that are so nice to use. I would love to see a pure replacement for  this camera aimed solely at image quality. The 1dx and 1dxII are fantastic but more geared to sports.

canon rumors FORUM

Does anyone still love their old gear?
« on: December 17, 2017, 09:46:39 PM »

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • I do not own the lens listed above
Re: Does anyone still love their old gear?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 10:37:58 PM »
As there are many on this forum who act as if the 5D3 is an ancient dinosaur, yes I love my old Canon products! I also love my S95 and my EOS 3 (which is 18 years old!)
soul stealing magic boxes and black tubes

cpsico

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 06:52:12 AM »
I just wonder how many Sony mirrorless cameras will be be working 10 years from now. As much they may have an edge in sensor tech I don't think there cameras are workhorses like canons

ykn123

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Foto Flucke
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 07:48:19 AM »
Yep, my 1Ds MIII and the 85 1.2 II on it - i have a number of cams but still love it and yes, would be great to get a 1Ds MIV with no AA Filter, 36MP-45MP and without the problem of so much dust on the sensor even if shooting in studio at f11. (the 1DX just is a dirty beast in that scenario)
1DX,1DsM3,5DS-R,5DM4,5DM3
35 f1.4 II, Tamron SP 45 f1.8, 85 f1.2 II, 100 f2.8 IS, 135 f2.0, 200 f2.0, 16-35 f4.0 IS, 24-70 f2.8 II, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 II

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 09:02:04 AM »
Still love my 5D (mark one), still makes a great portrait camera when shooting in raw and using the latest raw converters. The attached shots were with the 5D and EF 100/2 and EF 50/1.4

However I have to say that since getting the 5Ds I've decided to sell my older gear, and that includes the two 5Dii s that I've got as well as the 5D.

The 5D has a hint of the digital primary R, G, B and B&W about it. The 5Diii was slightly better in this respect, the 5Diii a tad better still but the 5Ds really has lost that "digital" signature completely ( as long as you don't use the ACR harsh default profile). A pal of mine has the 5DIV and says that's the same.

So seeing as my goal has been to emulate the Victorian technology of film I'm now up to date in gear  :D

Hector1970

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 10:50:53 AM »
I still use my 500D from time to time and its still a capable camera.
We all want better and the cameras are amazing nowadays but location / opportunity is a faster way to better photographs. Sites like this encourage spec comparisons but I often wonder how many photographs some of the contributors actually take.

chrysoberyl

• EOS 5DS R
  • 6D
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 11:16:41 AM »
I still have my first tripod - a Bogen 3001 Professional Tripod With 3025 Head.  Every two weeks or so, the tripod would pinch me severely.  It's retired.  I will eventually give it to someone I don't like.  My oldest lens is a Canon 100L macro.  I don't love it and use it rarely since I got my Milvus 100.
6D, 80D, 5D IV, Zeiss Milvus 100mm Makro, Sigma 180mm/2.8 macro, Canon 100mm macro, Canon 24mm/1.4, Sigma 35/1.4, Tokina 16-28, Canon 1.4X III TC, Canon 2X III TC, Rokinon 14mm 2.4, Sigma 135mm ART.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 11:16:41 AM »

dpc

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 11:34:41 AM »
I still use my 5DMII all the time and am quite happy with the results for the most part. I've been thinking of a 6DMII but I'm not sure I'll go there. I keep waffling because I really do use the 5DMII and like it. Sometimes I think, I know actually, that the wish for a modern camera body is driven more by the desire for newness than actual photographic need. That's probably just me, though. I also have a 7DMII. I just bought it new last February. It's getting long in the tooth according to some people but I can't complain about the pictures I get with it.

dak723

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 12:50:03 PM »
I still use my 5DMII all the time and am quite happy with the results for the most part. I've been thinking of a 6DMII but I'm not sure I'll go there. I keep waffling because I really do use the 5DMII and like it. Sometimes I think, I know actually, that the wish for a modern camera body is driven more by the desire for newness than actual photographic need. That's probably just me, though. I also have a 7DMII. I just bought it new last February. It's getting long in the tooth according to some people but I can't complain about the pictures I get with it.

If my original Canon digital rebel still worked, I would still be using it!  The desire for newness is great for the camera companies and so totally ridiculous for most photographers who don't need the continuingly climbing MP count or the other minor improvements that have happened over the years.  While impossible to define - and I am not the only one who has commented on it over the years - there was something better about less and larger pixels.  Of course, it doesn't show up on the tests at all the internet sites, so it can't be real!

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 01:07:49 PM »
While impossible to define - and I am not the only one who has commented on it over the years - there was something better about less and larger pixels.  Of course, it doesn't show up on the tests at all the internet sites, so it can't be real!

There's a way to go back there dak: just open your raw files at 12 mp !

jhpeterson

• EOS M5
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 01:08:40 PM »
I still have my positively ancient 1ds Mark III and it is my go to camera for long outings. I still love the old canon color profiles. In all fairness even the 6d beats it in most areas and the 5d IV mops the floor with it, but there is something about the 1d bodys that are so nice to use. I would love to see a pure replacement for  this camera aimed solely at image quality. The 1dx and 1dxII are fantastic but more geared to sports.
I'm still regularly using my 1DS III bodies, as well. I know they're getting long in the tooth, but haven't yet found the right replacement. In my line of work, I need the durability of the 1D series (or maybe I've just been spoiled using them the last 13 years). Yes, the 1DX and 1DX II are great, and the one I have totally dusts the older models in terms of speed and autofocusing. But, when I replace these, I'm going to want an upgrade in the pixel count. If only they could put the 5DIV sensor inside a 1D body. Or, maybe a 5DS. (A fellow can dream, can't he? Besides, it's Christmas.)
1D series bodies (x4), L glass (x9)

cpsico

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
I'm still regularly using my 1DS III bodies, as well. I know they're getting long in the tooth, but haven't yet found the right replacement. In my line of work, I need the durability of the 1D series (or maybe I've just been spoiled using them the last 13 years). Yes, the 1DX and 1DX II are great, and the one I have totally dusts the older models in terms of speed and autofocusing. But, when I replace these, I'm going to want an upgrade in the pixel count. If only they could put the 5DIV sensor inside a 1D body. Or, maybe a 5DS. (A fellow can dream, can't he? Besides, it's Christmas.)
A 5dIV style sensor in a 1D body is a worthy Christmas wish indeed!!

aceflibble

• EOS M5
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »
I don't use it anymore because it's simply impractical for work (work demands a minimum of 20mp files), but the 1Dsmk2 is my favourite 35mm format camera in terms of the feel in the hand, the feel of the shutter button, and the sound of the shutter, and I sorely wish I could get that same 'shell' with a newer sensor & processor. (Er, and a newer screen, too.) It may be collecting dust due to not meeting modern requirements, but if Canon released all of their cameras in a limited edition which simply had the 1Ds2's outer case and shutter, I would gladly pay double for them. Love that thing.

The other Canon I'd give a nod to is the 5D2. It was the standard workhorse for years and other things being better now doesn't stop it from still being a really solid, workhorse camera today. It's not my main camera, but it's still my #3 backup body, and with current prices around the £550-600 mark—the same as a new SL2—I've started pushing new photographers toward buying a used 5D2 over any APS-C body, at least for stills.

Other than that, I still get a lot of enjoyment out of Canon FD gear, some of the early 90s EF lenses are still fantastic (the 100mm is the most underrated Canon lens), and my 'old' Mamiya RZ67 Pro II is still my main backup camera. (Adapted to a digital back, it takes the #2 spot behind the Phase.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »

KeithBreazeal

• EOS 5DS R
    • Keith Breazeal Photography
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
I still have my first DSLR, the 40D.  I found it to be really good and fun to use after decades of shooting on film. 
This photo was from my first outing with it and made my some upgrade money.  I went for a fun shoot and the motorcycle show photography didn't show, so I got the gig and that continued for a few years.
I still have my 7D and may upgrade to the 7D Mark III.  I'm mostly into FF now but keep a line of APSC going- including mirrorless.

Sara and ER HED © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr
Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 5DS, 5D Mark III, Canon M5, 7D, SL-1, Canon 300L 2.8, 100-400L IS, 70-200L IS, 24-105L, 10-22mm, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8

cpsico

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 03:17:40 PM »
The old cameras were slow, small lcds, limited buffers, but darn if the image quality wasn't bang on. I really think before video became a thing and the focus was purely on IQ in some ways the cameras were better. How do you not love a camera that still is amazing 10 years later!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 03:17:40 PM »