February 22, 2018, 04:16:50 PM

Author Topic: Tony Northrup´s rumors for 2018....  (Read 7997 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
Re: Tony Northrup´s rumors for 2018....
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 03:59:09 PM »
Are people not allowed to be wrong?  I am wrong about something everyday.

But it's delivered with the veneer of 'rightness' and 'you can trust me', etc. that makes his thing a bit professorial, and that sort of role should be strictly factual, IMHO.

Again, no ill will towards what he does.  It's just not for me.

- A
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 04:42:21 PM by ahsanford »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 03:59:09 PM »

Ryananthony

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 04:02:26 PM »

But it's delivered with the veneer of 'rightness' and 'you can trust me', etc. that makes his thing a bit professorial, and that sort of role should be strictly factual, IMHO.

Again, no ill will towards what does.  It's just not for me.

- A

I don't really like Tony, but I did not get that impression personally.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 04:55:51 PM »

Sure they are.  When their errors are pointed out, they're also allowed to continue to defend their mistakes, even at the expense of their reputation.  Personally, I choose to acknowledge my errors and thank those who correct me.  Tony prefers a different approach. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

reef58

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »

Sure they are.  When their errors are pointed out, they're also allowed to continue to defend their mistakes, even at the expense of their reputation.  Personally, I choose to acknowledge my errors and thank those who correct me.  Tony prefers a different approach.

I am with you on that.  Life is too short for CYA mode.  I guess I have not followed the instances where he was wrong and the subsequent reaction.  I don't get deep into the technical aspects of photography though.

scottkinfw

• EOS 5DS R
  • Wildlife photography is my passion
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 12:08:33 AM »
Please summarize, as I can’t bear to watch that goofball.

Agree.  8)

Not to mention extremely biased.

Scott
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II.  Lenses    24-70 2.8L II IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8.   Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT, 580 EX II.
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

scottkinfw

• EOS 5DS R
  • Wildlife photography is my passion
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 12:13:35 AM »
I don't know why he gets so much hate.  He said right upfront his predictions would be wrong and even gave examples of how he was wrong last year.  I think people hear what they want to hear with people they dislike.  Him and Chelsea inspire me in a different way than say Ben Horn or Ted Forbes, but I enjoy their content.  I guess i am in the minority.

One thing is that if the predictions will be wrong, then why bother posting- other than self-centered hucksterism.  He is stongly biased against Canon and minimizes their strengths, ignores them, or misrepresents them.  So for me it is a matter fo honesty, integrity.
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II.  Lenses    24-70 2.8L II IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8.   Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT, 580 EX II.
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 02:56:35 AM »

- A

Tony Northrup really is the Youtube version of Ken Rockwell.

I have found both to be helpful in one way or another over the years, but the total lack of accountability means they live in this gray area where you can never take anything they say very seriously, and the success of the business is limited to tricking entry level consumers into paying for a PDF full of “tips”, which I consider to be just a tweak on Rockwell’s strategy of begging for small donations.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 02:56:35 AM »

reef58

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 07:32:10 AM »
I don't know why he gets so much hate.  He said right upfront his predictions would be wrong and even gave examples of how he was wrong last year.  I think people hear what they want to hear with people they dislike.  Him and Chelsea inspire me in a different way than say Ben Horn or Ted Forbes, but I enjoy their content.  I guess i am in the minority.

One thing is that if the predictions will be wrong, then why bother posting- other than self-centered hucksterism.  He is stongly biased against Canon and minimizes their strengths, ignores them, or misrepresents them.  So for me it is a matter fo honesty, integrity.

As a Canon shooter I have not found him biased against them.  He usually has something negative to say about every camera he reviews.  I think he is disappointed with Canon's latest offerings, but he is a tech geek so I understand why. 

JoSto

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
    • Visit my pictures on Instgram
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2017, 11:19:45 AM »
I am very interested in Youtube as a platform. The main Problem with Photography Youtube ist that there are limited topics.

There may be 8 major Camera releases per year, makes 16 videos if one makes a preview & review to everone. If you want to get a major Youtuber who makes his living with the videos, one wants to make 2 at least every week. That is 110 videos per year, minimum. Target: 130-140

Theory about Photography is limited and you will hold back some topics for your books. So after the first few month of youtube there is nothing more to add. As a result, there are 20-30 Videos with substancial information per year, 50 portfolio-reviews if done weekly. The remaining 50 Videos are fillers with nonsense content.

One can blame Youtube for the situation. Tony does what is nessecery to gain a huge subscription basis. Cant blame him about that because he makes his living with that.
My favorite Lens: Canon Macro Lens EF 100mm 1:2.8 L IS USM
https://www.instagram.com/johannes.sto/

Maiaibing

• EOS 5DS R
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 02:00:59 PM »

Lots of people seemingly love bashing those who make a living off their approach to digital photography -  while providing free information, tests and reviews to all of us. Ken Rockwell also gets a lot of hate. DxO also springs to mind.

Even haters here find Northrup's predictions interesting enough to fill up this thread with reactions (...).

I'm happy there are so many different sites out there that provide tons of very useful information for free. And I admire the very, very few out there who have turned their hobby into their business.

No one has go to web sites that bring nothing to them. No one forces anyone to click on any sites they don't like or find interesting.

So maybe better to drop mindless bashing and instead encourage the ones you think are doing a good job out there.  ;)

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2017, 12:13:33 AM »
Lots of people seemingly love bashing those who make a living off their approach to digital photography...

Because it’s 99% marketing and 1% content.
Tony is just as capable of mis-informing people as he is of providing useful information and he does both regularly.

Tony’s “busuness” is his personality, he markets his face, not cameras or photographs.
If you took “Tony Northrup” out of the “Tony Northrup Channel” those videos would be worth nothing, half the time he can’t even get a spec sheet right, but enough mindless “followers” view him as a celebrity and want to associate with his syle (and probably just want to emulate his lifestyle) so they consume all his content and live vicariously through the videos.

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2017, 04:26:15 AM »

- A

The top listed synonyms in http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/professorial for "professorial" are: accomplished; educated; scholarly; scientific; studied; and well-educated, which are the complete opposite pf Tony Northrup's reviewing and for which I agree entirely with "Again, no ill will towards what he does.  It's just not for me."

There are sites that are "professorial", such as lensrentals, the-digital-picture, lenstip, ephotozine, photozone, amateurphotographer, cameralabs etc etc that I respect and take notice of and learn from but Tony Northrup gives every impression of knowing far less than many CR members.
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

Maiaibing

• EOS 5DS R
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2017, 07:37:28 AM »
Lots of people seemingly love bashing those who make a living off their approach to digital photography...

Because it’s 99% marketing and 1% content.
Tony is just as capable of mis-informing people as he is of providing useful information and he does both regularly.

Tony’s “busuness” is his personality, he markets his face, not cameras or photographs.
If you took “Tony Northrup” out of the “Tony Northrup Channel” those videos would be worth nothing, half the time he can’t even get a spec sheet right, but enough mindless “followers” view him as a celebrity and want to associate with his syle (and probably just want to emulate his lifestyle) so they consume all his content and live vicariously through the videos.

Thank you for highlighting my points.  8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2017, 07:37:28 AM »

Scud49

• Canonflex
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »

I'm with you 100% - I very much enjoy their insight and commentary.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:30:36 AM by Scud49 »

canonnews

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • CanonNews
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2017, 12:42:17 PM »
I think it would be an interesting January 1st post for all the various rumor sites to post all at the same time their predictions on the coming year.

See who gets it closest ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2017, 12:42:17 PM »